Hummer!

Mule65

Reaction score
Douche bag Steve sounds a little testy today! Picking on the big Droids... :)

Apple's Steve Jobs: 'no one's going to buy' a big phone -- Engadget

In response to a question at its press conference today about whether Apple could've done anything to avoid its antenna issues with the iPhone 4, Steve took the opportunity to rip on bigger rivals, saying that making a phone so big "you can't get your hand around it" helps, but that "no one's going to buy that." We're assuming he's likely talking about the latest crop of 4-, 4.3- and 5-inch phones that include the Galaxy S series, the EVO 4G, Droid X, and Dell Streak, even going so far as to call them "Hummers" (we take it you don't ever drive a Hummer, Steve?).

images

dwagner88

Reaction score
Well lets be honest here: If you were going to liken cell phones to cars, which cell phone currently on the market would be most like a Hummer?

JCo352

Reaction score
Next year, the iPhone will come out with a bigger screen, and it will be "revolutionary".

ewells2420

Reaction score
Next year, the iPhone will come out with a bigger screen, and it will be "revolutionary".

I know right, freaking hypocrytes. And I guess the some odd 100k Xs sold so far (estimate) are a bunch of no ones.

hoax

Reaction score
*looks at phone* I can see the Hummer reference.

But whatever, I don't care what Jobs says. He is there is sell a product which I am currently not interested in.

Reaction score
This guy is being a douche-a-saurus. Why can't he admit his phone isn't living up to the hype and either fix it or leave the phone game?

anuraj1

Reaction score
Well lets be honest here: If you were going to liken cell phones to cars, which cell phone currently on the market would be most like a Hummer?

The X is fast, slim, sleek and wide. Just like a Ferrari or other supercars that have a large wheelbase.

Here's a whole bunch of phones that I'd say are more like a Hummer:

Durable cell phones - CNET Reviews

cpjr

Reaction score
Well, Verizon has been picking at Apple saying "You can hold it anyway you want" and everyone thought that was funny, so now when Apple picks back they are douche bags?? Thats not very good logic.

cypherx82

Reaction score
Well, Verizon has been picking at Apple saying "You can hold it anyway you want" and everyone thought that was funny, so now when Apple picks back they are douche bags?? Thats not very good logic.

There's a difference between sly marketing and outright bashing (which to be fair Jobs hasn't done yet. Well, maybe a bit with him saying nobody wants to buy the Droid X, which has already sold out.)

Also, like someone said earlier, Apple's going to release iPhone 5 with a larger screen and they will tout it as the biggest revolution in mobile technology rather than calling it a "Hummer."

Hypocrite much?

Also, he just happened to "call out" several other phones in the conference. The Omnia, the Droid Eris, and one other if I'm not mistaken.

It's like telling your boss it's okay you were late to work because someone else was too.

Last edited:

Rindaen

Reaction score
Looking at the Hard data, its hard to not say that the issue has been seriously exxagerated.

Many phones have a problem when you touch it in a secific location. Maybe not all but many. I think it was appropriate for him to mention that.
lets face it there are many people that would love to see Apple fail.

With that being said , Since Im switching to Verizon soon, That Droid best be perfect in every way :)

cypherx82

Reaction score
Looking at the Hard data, its hard to not say that the issue has been seriously exxagerated.

Many phones have a problem when you touch it in a secific location. Maybe not all but many. I think it was appropriate for him to mention that.
lets face it there are many people that would love to see Apple fail.

With that being said , Since Im switching to Verizon soon, That Droid best be perfect in every way :)

I think it's okay if he points out that other phones have similar problems, but I don't think he should have talked about specific phones. He also seemed a bit arrogant throughout the conference.

Rindaen

Reaction score
He was most certainly on the defensive.

had he not shown the other phones showing the same issues , many forums would be lit up arguing he was wrong and doesnt know what hes talking about.

After the add that Verizon took out
Bringing up one of the Android phones was good on his part. Had I been in his shoes i would have as well.
Lets face it , Google said the Droid Does, and Apple displayed that Droid Does have the same Antenna issue.