Steve Jobs, “Retire, relax, enjoy your family. It is just a phone. Not worth it.”

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
by Matt Burns on July 1, 2010

The iPhone 4 antenna issue is real. The leaked Apple troubleshooting documents and job posting confirms what a lot of iPhone 4 owners are stating. Worse yet, a lot of owners are finding that bumpers — DIY or official ones — don’t totally solve the problem. The world is quickly crashing down around Apple fans everywhere. But Steve Jobs has some advice, “Retire, relax, enjoy your family. It is just a phone. Not worth it.”

That’s what he supposedly emailed to one very irate iPhone 4 owner who, along with a few friends, are finding the iPhone 4 has major problems. Steve first tells the owner to calm down, then blames his problems on signal strength, and then finally states “[Apple] is working on it.”

Of course Apple is working on it. Sure, there might be some PR-type spinning going on by stating that there isn’t a problem or users are just holding the phone wrong, but it’s AT&T that’s likely pushing for a quick solution. For once, it’s not the carrier’s fault that the iPhone is dropping calls even though AT&T is the front line support for most iPhone owners. A working solution must be right around the corner although most people said that about the Gulf oil spill months ago, too. (In no way does the iPhone 4 compare to the Gulf crisis, btw)

But it’s Steve’s last email that puts it all in perspective.
Retire, relax, enjoy your family. It is just a phone. Not worth it.
Seriously. It’s just a damn phone. Maybe you shouldn’t have gotten that Apple4ver tattoo because companies sometimes do out flawed products. To Steve Jobs it’s just another product in a long line of hits. Remember, he might be the best person to attest to enjoying family time and not sweating the little things after surviving a rare form of pancreatic cancer and a liver transplant.

If Steve Jobs isn’t worried about it, then maybe you shouldn’t be either. Then again, $200 is a lot of money for some of Apple’s customers, which is something billionaire Jobs might have forgot. It’s really not too much to ask that a basic function like placing a phone call works reliably.

techcrunch.com

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
you know, i never thought about the possibility that his flippant attitude to this stuff could very well be that he has a different perspective on life now after the cancer thing... not that he's necessarily right, just sayin'... waitin' on darkseider to comment :tongue:

Reaction score
Maybe Steve will be the undoing of his own "empire", which would be more promising for Google.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i hate to play devils advocate but he's kinda right.

people are blowing this out of proportion yes it sucks yes i'm sure its being worked on..... no need for someone to give themselves a heart attack because they were so stressed over something as minor as a cellphone.

jcardona1

Reaction score
i wish that man and his company nothing but the worst. you can only dick around your customers so much until they begin to backlask. hopefully iphone people open up their eyes and realize there is life beyond the iphone and they have options - better options.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

people are blowing this out of proportion yes it sucks yes i'm sure its being worked on..... no need for someone to give themselves a heart attack because they were so stressed over something like this.

i think you meant "steve's" advocate? right? we don't need balanced opinions on this forum, c'mon...

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Steve Jobs isn’t worried about it, then maybe you shouldn’t be either. Then again, $200 is a lot of money for some of Apple’s customers, which is something billionaire Jobs might have forgot. It’s really not too much to ask that a basic function like placing a phone call works reliably.

That says it all.

jcardona1

Reaction score

people are blowing this out of proportion yes it sucks yes i'm sure its being worked on..... no need for someone to give themselves a heart attack because they were so stressed over something as minor as a cellphone.
i think its a huge deal, and id be bent out of shape too. $200 is not chump change for the average person. add to that the fact that theyre locked in a contract and stuck with the phone, and paying large monthly fees for services they cant even use because of a manufacturing issue, and you can see why people are so upset. you cant even make a phone call for crap's sake. its a cell phone, and you cant make a call?

being passive and submissive to everything apple does is the reason they have the elitist attitude. they know they have the apple loyals on a leash. no matter what goes wrong, theyll come back. i hope that starts to change

debdroid1a

Reaction score

When you're on a call with a client who can give you cash, it matters if the call drops. When you're on the phone with a loved one, it matters. When you're on the phone with a friend just gabbing, it matters.

Not that I use my cell phone for talking much, but when I do, it matters if the call is dropped. I personally don't like being hung up on. That's why I left AT&T years ago (before iPhones) because the reception was horrible.

Of course I'm not apple fan either. Maybe he will be his own undoing. If he could handle this better, fans would stay. Maybe he needs to hire PR not programmers.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

i think its a huge deal, and id be bent out of shape too. $200 is not chump change for the average person. add to that the fact that theyre locked in a contract and stuck with the phone, and paying large monthly fees for services they cant even use because of a manufacturing issue, and you can see why people are so upset. you cant even make a phone call for crap's sake. its a cell phone, and you cant make a call?

being passive and submissive to everything apple does is the reason they have the elitist attitude. they know they have the apple loyals on a leash. no matter what goes wrong, theyll come back. i hope that starts to change

don't they have 30 days to return it? and i bet few of them do, regardless of the issues

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

When you're on a call with a client who can give you cash, it matters if the call drops. When you're on the phone with a loved one, it matters. When you're on the phone with a friend just gabbing, it matters.

Not that I use my cell phone for talking much, but when I do, it matters if the call is dropped. I personally don't like being hung up on. That's why I left AT&T years ago (before iPhones) because the reception was horrible.

Of course I'm not apple fan either. Maybe he will be his own undoing. If he could handle this better, fans would stay. Maybe he needs to hire PR not programmers.

given that dropped calls have been a long time, well documented problem with the iphone/AT&T, i would think that if those things are truly important to you, you wouldn't get an iphone

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am not buying into this one. There is no way a CEO of a company would send an e-mail to a customer saying that. As much as many of you hate this man and think he is dumb I would be incredibly surprised to find this true. Not saying it's out of the realm of possibility but highly unlikely. I know people would love this to be true to add fuel to the fire but I think someone is trying to blow hot air in uncomfortable places on this one.

Darkseider

Reaction score
It's nice to see that his arrogance can still shine through his transplant anti-rejection drugs and pain medicine. Of course he won't sweat it! Why would he? He has the purchasers hard earned money in his corporate coffers now. The only good thing to come out of this is that karma is one finicky b*tch and she will make things right.