HTC Droid Eris vs. Apple iPhone 4

Reaction score
So, I watched the entire press conference by Steve Jobs @ Apple, and saw the video with the HTC Eris where it supposedly has the same signal issues that the iPhoney 4 has.

My wife currently has the Eris and it just so happens that she gets somewhat weak signal at our house. I took her phone and held it the same EXACT way that they did in the video at the conference, and it did not suffer the effects shown on the video. Granted, it is in no way scientific, but I would have thought that it would have shown at least a little signal loss.

For those that missed it, here's the Conference video: Apple - QuickTime - July 16 Press Conference

and if you just want to see still photos of how to hold the phone to get the same results, here's that link: Apple - Smartphone Antenna Performance

Any other Eris owners test Apple's theories on their phone? If so, what was your result?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
So, I watched the entire press conference by Steve Jobs @ Apple, and saw the video with the HTC Eris where it supposedly has the same signal issues that the iPhoney 4 has.

My wife currently has the Eris and it just so happens that she gets somewhat weak signal at our house. I took her phone and held it the same EXACT way that they did in the video at the conference, and it did not suffer the effects shown on the video. Granted, it is in no way scientific, but I would have thought that it would have shown at least a little signal loss.

For those that missed it, here's the Conference video: Apple - QuickTime - July 16 Press Conference

and if you just want to see still photos of how to hold the phone to get the same results, here's that link: Apple - Smartphone Antenna Performance

Any other Eris owners test Apple's theories on their phone? If so, what was your result?

I saw that Friday. I've tried it. Steve (nut)Jobs is full of it. He has egg on his face over this and doesn't like that.

wyzzerdd

Reaction score
What Steve said was absolutely false, the Eris isn't even close to being constructed of the same material or manufacturing process. On top of that, the Eris was actually tested for quality control to make sure it actually worked before it went out on the market for sale unlike the the Iphone where apple was only worried about looks.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
This might be a kiss of death for Apple... if nothing else, it keeps the debate going. Had Jobs just come out, stated the issue with their phone and offered the free bumpers/cases as a fix, he could let this die away and the fanboys would continue to drool over the phone. Now that he called out a few other manufacturers at the conference, this only involved more companies and could prove to keep "Antennagate" alive a lot longer.

wyzzerdd

Reaction score
The funny thing about this whole mess is that the iphone is supposed to be this absolutely perfect state of the art tech. Its inflated price reflects that at least... I suppose I should feel sorry for people that wasted there money on this garbage but tha's what you get for trying to buy a status symbol.

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
The funny thing about this whole mess is that the iphone is supposed to be this absolutely perfect state of the art tech. Its inflated price reflects that at least... I suppose I should feel sorry for people that wasted there money on this garbage but tha's what you get for trying to buy a status symbol.

I do feel bad for the people that paid good money for the phone, expecting it to function as good as other phones. Most of them waited in line for quite some time or preorderd them. (I mean, think of it: Say the Droid X was victim of the same issue... can you really fault someone for wanting the phone to function properly?)

The ones I don't feel bad are the fanboys that literally only want it because Apple made it, and that are still in staunch support of them despite this HUGE issue/flaw. Before this, it was the iPad's lack of Flash, before that, Apple chooses to only go with AT&T service, no competition there. 25 years ago or so, Apple had a similar stance against people cloning their Macintosh computers... that spelled the death of Apple getting into the corporate world. Blackberry and Android have multiple phones on all major cell phone carriers.

I think Apple will fall to the same situation that they did with the Mac PCs... eventually BB and/or Droid will make them only acceptable in small circles and/or specific functions.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

I do feel bad for the people that paid good money for the phone, expecting it to function as good as other phones. Most of them waited in line for quite some time or preorderd them. (I mean, think of it: Say the Droid X was victim of the same issue... can you really fault someone for wanting the phone to function properly?)

The ones I don't feel bad are the fanboys that literally only want it because Apple made it, and that are still in staunch support of them despite this HUGE issue/flaw. Before this, it was the iPad's lack of Flash, before that, Apple chooses to only go with AT&T service, no competition there. 25 years ago or so, Apple had a similar stance against people cloning their Macintosh computers... that spelled the death of Apple getting into the corporate world. Blackberry and Android have multiple phones on all major cell phone carriers.

I think Apple will fall to the same situation that they did with the Mac PCs... eventually BB and/or Droid will make them only acceptable in small circles and/or specific functions.

Great point. That is why I dislike Apple to this day. Their proprietary way of building technology means less options for me as the user. I used to use the video card analogy:

Do I want a PC where I can go buy a video card from anywhere and install it? Or a Mac where I have to go to Apple and buy an overpriced video card?

OP
WorldOfJohnboy
Reaction score
iPhone Sheeple amaze me... I went to pickup lunch today at a pizza place and as I was waiting for the food, I was playing with my Droid X. A guy asks me "Is that the new one?" I said "Yes" and he said "the iPhone 4?" I very vehimently shook my head no and told him it was the Droid X.

He went on saying how they were basically the same thing, and I had the standard response: Verizon carrier, replaceable memory & battery, larger screen, etc. and lastly I said "No antenna issues."

He said "ahh, that's been blown outta proportion, they got a fix out for it. I will get one soon." I told him that their fix was really a band-aid (literally) and he's basically said that it works and he wants to spend all his money on the new one as he has the iPhone 3Gs.

Wouldn't you want to spend "all your money" on a well designed phone that doesn't need a case to function properly? He reminded me of this GREAT YouTube video: [video=youtube;FL7yD-0pqZg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg]YouTube - iPhone4 vs HTC Evo[/video]

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
iPhone Sheeple amaze me... I went to pickup lunch today at a pizza place and as I was waiting for the food, I was playing with my Droid X. A guy asks me "Is that the new one?" I said "Yes" and he said "the iPhone 4?" I very vehimently shook my head no and told him it was the Droid X.

He went on saying how they were basically the same thing, and I had the standard response: Verizon carrier, replaceable memory & battery, larger screen, etc. and lastly I said "No antenna issues."

He said "ahh, that's been blown outta proportion, they got a fix out for it. I will get one soon." I told him that their fix was really a band-aid (literally) and he's basically said that it works and he wants to spend all his money on the new one as he has the iPhone 3Gs.

Wouldn't you want to spend "all your money" on a well designed phone that doesn't need a case to function properly? He reminded me of this GREAT YouTube video: YouTube - iPhone4 vs HTC Evo

the funny thing about your story is that this guy that is a phanboy cant even recognize an iphone when he sees one haha