HTC Thunderbolt Spec Descrepencies

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm confused by this too! I seriously thought it'd just show up when you plug it into the computer :-(

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OP
funkyb

funkyb

Reaction score
Yeah I'm confused by this too! I seriously thought it'd just show up when you plug it into the computer :-(

I believe you have to explicitly mount the SD to see it over usb.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
HTCs sites clearly states:

Memory: 8GB emmc + 768 RAM Memory card, preinstalled 32 GB microSD™

Yet no one can find it.. But Im good with the 32GB card.. that is plenty of storage space.. on the INC it was just extra storage for pix, music, etc..

no one has called HTC yet?? will keep checking back.

OP
funkyb

funkyb

Reaction score
No I was hoping this would be cleared up quick, but not much feedback so far.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

I believe you have to explicitly mount the SD to see it over usb.

That's what I meant lol. Kinda sucks I was looking forward to being able to use the space after my X locked me out of it.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I was expecting the space in the first place, I have a hard time believing it's partitioned off for the OS when the Ram is less than 1GB. Where is our 8GB???

geoff5093

Reaction score

Yet no one can find it.. But Im good with the 32GB card.. that is plenty of storage space.. on the INC it was just extra storage for pix, music, etc..

The camera stores all the photos on the memory card, so it's not using the built in memory for that. I hope we get an explanation of this soon. Has anyone called Verizon and asked about it?

bassic83

Reaction score
I wonder if it is because Android is 32-bit, and therefore runs up against the 3GB "limit" that 32-bit OSes can see on RAM...could that be it? If so, it'd all be there, just that 3GB is all it can address. So start with 3GB, take out 256MB for the base OS, another 354MB for the bundled bag o'bloatware, and you'd see 2.39GB...just my thoughts, don't have a way to prove/disprove this.

Perhaps someone could connect it to a PC running 64-bit OS, and poke around a bit...maybe it would show up that way, at least as hardware storage?

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

The camera stores all the photos on the memory card, so it's not using the built in memory for that. I hope we get an explanation of this soon. Has anyone called Verizon and asked about it?

I remember reading that an employee told them it was for system files like Rosie and android. I call bs thoigh. I don't trust employee info when it comes to specs. The lady trying to sell me the bolt didn't even know what dlna was...

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it is because Android is 32-bit, and therefore runs up against the 3GB "limit" that 32-bit OSes can see on RAM...could that be it? If so, it'd all be there, just that 3GB is all it can address. So start with 3GB, take out 256MB for the base OS, another 354MB for the bundled bag o'bloatware, and you'd see 2.39GB...just my thoughts, don't have a way to prove/disprove this.

Perhaps someone could connect it to a PC running 64-bit OS, and poke around a bit...maybe it would show up that way, at least as hardware storage?

Not sure as this isn't about the ram, it's about the internal storage. At least if I'm understanding correctly.

bassic83

Reaction score

Not sure as this isn't about the ram, it's about the internal storage. At least if I'm understanding correctly.

That's the thing...I don't know if the TB sees the 8GB as RAM or as a mounted device. I'm thinking it sees it as RAM, that would explain the 2.39GB, as the rest would not be addressable. If it sees it as a mounted device, it should be able to enumerate it as such, and report it as 8GB device...in which case, it should report the RAM as 768MB, with 100+ or so MB free (assuming the crapware is loading at boot as well...).

wseyller

Reaction score
Wow I can't believe how many people don't know the difference between ram and storage.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

bassic83

Reaction score
And if it is internal storage (mounted device), shouldn't it show up under Astro as what it is? Unless there is a glitch in the firmware that is causing it to report a really low number...

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Wow I can't believe how many people don't know the difference between ram and storage.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Even though I know the difference, I fudge it up quite a lot.

My question is, if Windows 7 can use a USB drive for Cache (Superfetch) why can't Android use some of the SD Card, or some of this 8GB "internal storage" for ram? I know with my rooted OG Droid I did Compcache using 80MB for Ram, but it seems silly to me to have a 32GB sd card, 8 GB of internal storage, and ... 756MB of Ram????

OP
funkyb

funkyb

Reaction score
I'm confident it isn't blending with ram. The core issue here is total internal storage is reported as 2.6GB.