HTC Thunderbolt Spec Descrepencies

kptphalkon

Reaction score
It looks like you're only seeing the data folder when you use elixer?

UNC

Reaction score
I spoke to technician over at verizon. he said that OS take most of the memory

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Well we know the RUU files are ~400mb, so there's no way the OS uses up 4+gb..

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
it could very well be Elixer isn't really compatible with the TB. I am just saying....it may not be able to "read" everything correctly.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Whatever it may not read correctly, it just seems to me like a lot of space is simply locked away.

OP
funkyb

funkyb

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm the developer of Elixir.

Camcorder resolution problem:

In my Desire when I set camcorder resolution to 1280x720 then Android OS
reports that resolution is 720x480. I try to ask Android developers why does the system reports this value.

2.6GB Internal memory:

Android API supports only one memory card. If a device contains more than
one card, than applications will see only the external-one. If there is an
internal (not unmountable) memory card, than apps won't see it by default.

If you know the path of this memory-card, than you can configure it by
Elixir/Menu/Settings/Extra SD path, and after you restart Elixir you would be
able to see an "Extra" line in the app below the "External" line.

Tamás

Tamás -

Many thanks for taking the time to investigate my concern, I appreciate it.

I'm comfortable with the possibility that the application may not be reading the hardware-reported resolution correctly (or that it is, but the hardware is not reporting correctly). Thanks again for looking into this.

Concerning the Internal eMMC storage, the 2.6GB Total we're seeing is not specific to Elixir. The same Total available space is reported by Android's built in system, as well as any other system info application. I do not expect this situation is anything related to your application.

Thanks again for your response!

--- To All ---:

I received a response from HTC this morning concerning both issues (camera and internal storage), as well as another response received from HTC that was provided to another user, and will post details on both shortly.

OP
funkyb

funkyb

Reaction score
$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$df
/dev: 305764K total, 0K used, 305764K available (block size 4096)
/system: 869884K total, 401260K used, 468624K available (block size 4096)
/data: 2734896K total, 380720K used, 2354176K available (block size 4096)
/cache: 434916K total, 34844K used, 400072K available (block size 4096)
/devlog: 21100K total, 4132K used, 16968K available (block size 4096)
/mnt/asec: 305764K total, 0K used, 305764K available (block size 4096)
/app-cache: 8192K total, 504K used, 7688K available (block size 4096)
/mnt/sdcard: 31154688K total, 639936K used, 30514752K available (block size 32768)
/mnt/secure/asec: Permission denied
/mnt/asec/com.rovio.angrybirdsseasons-1: 18688K total, 16704K used, 1984K available (block size 4096)
$

Those are from mine. Looks like the 8gb is there just spread out across file systems.

You are the man! Thanks for reporting this. I was looking to learn adb and hoping there was a way to do something like this, but am new to 'droid and hadn't had time to start learning...I'm a terminal junkie on my *nix machines :)

Ignoring the fact that 1 GB = 1024 MB = 1,048,576 KB, ignoring the mounted SD card, and using powers of 10 for simplicity, the above adds up to about 4.7GB. I assume this means the other 3.3 GB is on the 'access denied' branch and/or on the recovery partition (same thing?). This seems perfectly reasonable to me.

*** RESPONSE FROM HTC CONCERNING SPEC DISCREPANCIES OUTLINED IN THIS THREAD ***

I received a response from HTC today addressing the concerns raised in OP. The full response is below, with a few parts removed to protect personally identifiable info. Emphasis added is mine.

Dear [redacted],

I understand that you have questions about the HTC Thunderbolt.

[redacted], the HTC Thunderbolt has 8 GB of internal memory. However, most of that memory is put aside for the phone's operating system, messages(text, picture, email, etc), built in applications, etc. This means that you will not see the full 8GB available. [redacted]

Elixer is a 3rd party application and therefore we cannot say for certain why it is not listing the maximum resolution of the camera correctly. It is possible that the application may not be able to use the full resolution of the camera or that the application may have been designed for a different phone. The built in camera application on the phone is the only camera application supported by HTC. Please be advised that HTC does not offer support for any 3rd party software or applications. This means that HTC does not provide any assistance with installation, troubleshooting or locateing any 3rd party software or applications.

If you screen is damaged or not flush with the case. Then I recommend that you contact our repair department. You can reach our repair department at 1-800-229-1235 (8:30 AM - 5 PM EST M-F).

We do apologize [redacted], for any inconvenience that these issues have caused you.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number [redacted].

Sincerely,

Devin
HTC
To summarize what we can infer:

(1) Internal Storage Space - HTC confirms there is 8GB on board, but not all of it is available for arbitrary use. (The reserved space is used for built in applications, the operating system, the recovery and/or protected partitions, etc.) An interesting take away here is that storage for txt, picture, mail, etc messages is on this 'unavailable' portion, so you don't have to worry about the 2.6 GB free being reduced further from these uses. This response from HTC is in agreement with what sammyboy405 found when querying the file system itself (posts above), and I consider the issue resolved to my satisfaction.

(2) Video Camera Maximum Capture Resolution - 3rd party applications are not reporting the resolution correctly. This is also in-line with what the Elixir developer, Tamás, posted earlier, and the issue does not seem specific to the HTC Thunderbolt. My thanks to Tamás for taking the time to respond.

(3) RAM showing as ~5xxMB instead of 768MB - this was resolved earlier in this thread. The OS reserves about 2xxMB of ram, and this component of it does not contribute to either the free or available RAM shown in the OS or 3rd party system info applications.

(4) Light Leakage below window glass (below home buttons) - I had posted about this elsewhere, but since the issue was addressed in the HTC email I will comment on it here. It looks like some users experience this, it's not really a problem and I believe most of us agree it's a non-issue that we're not concerned about, but if you are concerned and are willing to work through the process, it looks like the proper course of action is to contact the HTC repair center. I might do that down the road sometime, but honestly, I don't care too much about this (it is VERY minimal and not visible from normal viewing angles).

So I want to say a BIG thanks to everyone who participated in this discussion, with particular shouts out to Tamás and sammyboy405! I can now happily say I consider every issue I had questions about resolved to satisfaction.

ionide

Reaction score
$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$df
/dev: 305764K total, 0K used, 305764K available (block size 4096)
/system: 869884K total, 401260K used, 468624K available (block size 4096)
/data: 2734896K total, 380720K used, 2354176K available (block size 4096)
/cache: 434916K total, 34844K used, 400072K available (block size 4096)
/devlog: 21100K total, 4132K used, 16968K available (block size 4096)
/mnt/asec: 305764K total, 0K used, 305764K available (block size 4096)
/app-cache: 8192K total, 504K used, 7688K available (block size 4096)
/mnt/sdcard: 31154688K total, 639936K used, 30514752K available (block size 32768)
/mnt/secure/asec: Permission denied
/mnt/asec/com.rovio.angrybirdsseasons-1: 18688K total, 16704K used, 1984K available (block size 4096)
$

Those are from mine. Looks like the 8gb is there just spread out across file systems.

You are the man! Thanks for reporting this. I was looking to learn adb and hoping there was a way to do something like this, but am new to 'droid and hadn't had time to start learning...I'm a terminal junkie on my *nix machines :)

Ignoring the fact that 1 GB = 1024 MB = 1,048,576 KB, ignoring the mounted SD card, and using powers of 10 for simplicity, the above adds up to about 4.7GB. I assume this means the other 3.3 GB is on the 'access denied' branch and/or on the recovery partition (same thing?). This seems perfectly reasonable to me.

*** RESPONSE FROM HTC CONCERNING SPEC DISCREPANCIES OUTLINED IN THIS THREAD ***

I received a response from HTC today addressing the concerns raised in OP. The full response is below, with a few parts removed to protect personally identifiable info. Emphasis added is mine.

Dear [redacted],

I understand that you have questions about the HTC Thunderbolt.

[redacted], the HTC Thunderbolt has 8 GB of internal memory. However, most of that memory is put aside for the phone's operating system, messages(text, picture, email, etc), built in applications, etc. This means that you will not see the full 8GB available. [redacted]

Elixer is a 3rd party application and therefore we cannot say for certain why it is not listing the maximum resolution of the camera correctly. It is possible that the application may not be able to use the full resolution of the camera or that the application may have been designed for a different phone. The built in camera application on the phone is the only camera application supported by HTC. Please be advised that HTC does not offer support for any 3rd party software or applications. This means that HTC does not provide any assistance with installation, troubleshooting or locateing any 3rd party software or applications.

If you screen is damaged or not flush with the case. Then I recommend that you contact our repair department. You can reach our repair department at 1-800-229-1235 (8:30 AM - 5 PM EST M-F).

We do apologize [redacted], for any inconvenience that these issues have caused you.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number [redacted].

Sincerely,

Devin
HTC
To summarize what we can infer:

(1) Internal Storage Space - HTC confirms there is 8GB on board, but not all of it is available for arbitrary use. (The reserved space is used for built in applications, the operating system, the recovery and/or protected partitions, etc.) An interesting take away here is that storage for txt, picture, mail, etc messages is on this 'unavailable' portion, so you don't have to worry about the 2.6 GB free being reduced further from these uses. This response from HTC is in agreement with what sammyboy405 found when querying the file system itself (posts above), and I consider the issue resolved to my satisfaction.

(2) Video Camera Maximum Capture Resolution - 3rd party applications are not reporting the resolution correctly. This is also in-line with what the Elixir developer, Tamás, posted earlier, and the issue does not seem specific to the HTC Thunderbolt. My thanks to Tamás for taking the time to respond.

(3) RAM showing as ~5xxMB instead of 768MB - this was resolved earlier in this thread. The OS reserves about 2xxMB of ram, and this component of it does not contribute to either the free or available RAM shown in the OS or 3rd party system info applications.

(4) Light Leakage below window glass (below home buttons) - I had posted about this elsewhere, but since the issue was addressed in the HTC email I will comment on it here. It looks like some users experience this, it's not really a problem and I believe most of us agree it's a non-issue that we're not concerned about, but if you are concerned and are willing to work through the process, it looks like the proper course of action is to contact the HTC repair center. I might do that down the road sometime, but honestly, I don't care too much about this (it is VERY minimal and not visible from normal viewing angles).

So I want to say a BIG thanks to everyone who participated in this discussion, with particular shouts out to Tamás and sammyboy405! I can now happily say I consider every issue I had questions about resolved to satisfaction.

THANK YOU! Thank you very much for posting all of this in a concise form.

About the light leakage: When I view my TB by looking straight down the screen, I can see light... Is this what that is referring to? Where else did you post about it?

**EDIT**
I searched and found the thread. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...ome-back-menu-search-leaking-below-glass.html