Htc thunderbolt signal

Jacob9424

Reaction score
I dont know if people have noticed this but my old droid gets full bars where i live but my thunderbolt gets 1 at most...anyone know if this is a glitch or something?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using DroidForums App

autoxinvr6

Reaction score
Not sure if it is a glitch or not but I do notice that my Thunderbolt does not seem to have as strong as a signal in the same places my D1 had. Most obvious to me is my work bathroom... haha I am lucky to even get 3g back there now where I used to get atleast 2 bars 3g on D1.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I dont know if people have noticed this but my old droid gets full bars where i live but my thunderbolt gets 1 at most...anyone know if this is a glitch or something?

I was lucky enough to use my OG Droid 1 along side my Thunderbolt for the last week. Anyway, you'll notice that the dBm rating for both phones (TRUE signal rating) is nearly identical but the signal bars are very different. Example, my Droid 1 would show -96dBm and my Thunderbolt would show -91dBm. Droid 1 would have full bars while my Thunderbolt has 1 bar.

Signal bars are deceiving. I've noticed better reception with my Bolt even though the bars say I have less reception than my Droid 1 which always thought it had max reception (max bars), no matter where I was.

OP
Jacob9424

Jacob9424

Reaction score

I was lucky enough to use my OG Droid 1 along side my Thunderbolt for the last week. Anyway, you'll notice that the dBm rating for both phones (TRUE signal rating) is nearly identical but the signal bars are very different. Example, my Droid 1 would show -96dBm and my Thunderbolt would show -91dBm. Droid 1 would have full bars while my Thunderbolt has 1 bar.

Signal bars are deceiving. I've noticed better reception with my Bolt even though the bars say I have less reception than my Droid 1 which always thought it had max reception (max bars), no matter where I was.

So your saying to just forget about it? Ill still get text messages and phone calls right? Even if it says no bars?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
So your saying to just forget about it? Ill still get text messages and phone calls right? Even if it says no bars?

You got it. I have better reception with my Thunderbolt than I did with my Droid 1 even though the bars showed less. The TRUE signal (-dBms) showed this. And yes, there are times where I have 0 bars and I still get calls, can make calls, and surf on the Thunderbolt.

At my college I have almost no signal, on my Droid 1 it showed max (always did...) but I couldn't make calls and I couldn't surf. On my Thunderbolt I show 0-1 bars but I can call, text, surf.

OP
Jacob9424

Jacob9424

Reaction score
Alright thanks, man htc has a ton of bugs with this phone. But heck its still a great phone.

soccerdude77

Reaction score
I came from DX and I was thinking the same thing but when I put them side by side, the TB had much better reception on 1 bar than the DX on 3 bars.

Go figure. :)

Snuffleupagus

Reaction score
I've had the Thunderbolt for a little over a week and got to this thread by searching for "Thunderbolt signal problems."

Just to throw my 2 cents in...regardless of dBm measurements or bar anomalies between various handsets, I can tell a real-world difference in signal strength on the Thunderbolt. I have moved to this phone from a 1 1/2 year-old Touch-Pro2 and I drop calls and have no signal in places I did not have problems before. I live on a 186 acre ranch in rural area where towers can be few and far between, my old TP2 would drop in 2 specific places on my commute. The Thunderbolt drops in those places and about 3 others. In addition, the TP2 would pick signal back up relatively quick after the drop in those two spots, whereas the TB takes longer to pick up the next tower.

In addition, I have noticed that my signal inside at the hospital where I work (in a 4g enabled metro area) is more spotty than with the TP2. The Thunderbolt will tell me I have no connection or call fail in areas where the TP2 did not have problems.

This is obviously anecdotal evidence, however, one would expect that a new phone would do as well or better than an 18 month-old phone that had been through the ringer and dropped a couple of times. I really want to love this phone, it is so much quicker and advanced than my TP2. The battery life I can deal with because it is so feature rich, but couple that with the signal strength and I am considering returning and waiting on the Bionic.

jeremycnly

Reaction score
Thats what I'm doing. Battery life on that phone is ridiculous and thats without 4g ln.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App