Poor 3G signal

electric6

Reaction score
Am I the only one getting same or better reception than my OG Droid?

my tb is actually getting significantly WORSE reception than my att iphone did... lol constantly switching from 1x to 3g, to nothing and back again.

mat4ov

Reaction score

I was just thinking the exact same thing! I live in a 3g area and work in a 4g area and I have no problems in either area. In fact, this past weekend I went to an area that is notorious for having 3g signal problems and my TB worked flawlessly on 3g the entire time - I downloaded apps, surfed the web, and even had a video call over Tango...

kerrdj

Reaction score

mine was WAY better than my OG Droid until yesterday after work. now it wont connect to 3G anywhere. im not in a 4G area so i will be going to verizon tomorrow to get reimbursed for my 2 days with no data lol

RedTarget

Reaction score
I have only noticed an increase in 3g speed since switching to the thunderbolt. Right before I switched from my OG Droid I ran a speedtest with 2136 down and 689 up. Switched to the bolt which did 2758 down and 1146 up. Signal was also showing as -57dBm. Better than what my Droid had done. Still love the Droid... However the bolt is here to stay!

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums App

mitchb2

Reaction score
Factory reset is an unacceptable solution. It took me hours to get everything set up.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

my tb is actually getting significantly WORSE reception than my att iphone did... lol constantly switching from 1x to 3g, to nothing and back again.

seems it won't be going away neither.

This from Winston over on HoFo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can add this on the Thunderbolt, it was pushed out for a release date. There is no chance that phone gets released as is from any other manufacturer or from Verizon unless it was "first".

Those 3G/4G issues will continue. Try a drive test as well and see if your data stays consistent. The positive is that they aren't doing VoLTE so you won't drop calls.

I think the Thunderbolt should have been a descent phone but they screwed it up in the rush to release it.

electric6

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

I can add this on the Thunderbolt, it was pushed out for a release date. There is no chance that phone gets released as is from any other manufacturer or from Verizon unless it was "first".

Those 3G/4G issues will continue. Try a drive test as well and see if your data stays consistent. The positive is that they aren't doing VoLTE so you won't drop calls.

I think the Thunderbolt should have been a descent phone but they screwed it up in the rush to release it. [/QUOTE]

i think i have figured out something, that is at least a small relief for my issue. When my phone displays one bar of signal, and the two random verizon phones on either side display 3-4, my phone is actually reading
-87dBm's, while the other two devices are reading -97dBm's. I believe this means that my phone is actually recieving a better signal than the other two phones, but it is displaying only 1 signal bar of strength. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt that the most accurate method to determine signal strength?

Also, i have noticed where I work as long as it displays 3g, i can always use data and make and recieve calls, and even without "3G" showing, i can at least make and recieve calls and they are still very clear.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score

I think the Thunderbolt should have been a descent phone but they screwed it up in the rush to release it.

i think i have figured out something, that is at least a small relief for my issue. When my phone displays one bar of signal, and the two random verizon phones on either side display 3-4, my phone is actually reading
-87dBm's, while the other two devices are reading -97dBm's. I believe this means that my phone is actually recieving a better signal than the other two phones, but it is displaying only 1 signal bar of strength. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt that the most accurate method to determine signal strength?

Also, i have noticed where I work as long as it displays 3g, i can always use data and make and recieve calls, and even without "3G" showing, i can at least make and recieve calls and they are still very clear.

This seems to be the case. At home, without my network extender, I get about -98dBm. I recently activated my old Droid 1 on an unused family plan line ($30/mo, why not?) and had it sit next to my Thunderbolt. My Thunderbolt showed -80-92dBm but had 1 bar. My Droid 1 showed -90-110dBm and had 3-4 bars when I unplugged the network extender.

This is probably why people are complaining of worse reception when in fact they're getting better. Signal bars are an inaccurate way of gauging reception imo. Because on my Thunderbolt, even with 0 bars I was able to make a really clear phone call a few days ago.

Last edited:

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Im completely frustrated with this. 4 times since Monday I have had to reboot my TBolt to get 3G data back. Most recently was this morning when grabbing the phone for the first time and noticed I had 4 bars but no 3g or 1x icon, Had to reboot...I dont live in a 4G area yet. Unacceptable.