phone signal is poor on vzw network

Riley

Reaction score
I have a CLNR GN, and its signal, data loss a few times a day and 3g/4g handoffs are horrible in weaker signal or4g fringe areas, both happen to be at work inside the building and inside my apartment. The only thing that has made the phone stable being bone stock is to switch the radio to CDMA only. Since then I have had no issues at all, but it really should not be this way. It should work excellent in CDMA/LTE mode.

OP
jared845

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Riley said:
I have a CLNR GN, and its signal, data loss a few times a day and 3g/4g handoffs are horrible in weaker signal or4g fringe areas, both happen to be at work inside the building and inside my apartment. The only thing that has made the phone stable being bone stock is to switch the radio to CDMA only. Since then I have had no issues at all, but it really should not be this way. It should work excellent in CDMA/LTE mode.

Its funny u say that cuz mine works better in CDma mode only and I'm in a 4 g area...hope wen jb comes it fixes all these issues maybe that's y the release for jb rom is taking so long from vzw they want to fix the issues idk maybe ill just take the phone completely apart and put it back together like the previous dude said and see what happens but any how this signal data issue needs fixing ....come on vzw we know ur better than this....or maybe nit....?!?!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

BleedingEdge

Reaction score
Try to get somebody else with an LTE device to the areas you have trouble in. Compare phone signals. If they have significantly more signal than your phone, ask for a replacement, or request a different phone if you don't want to root. Moto often does have somewhat better radios. Maybe vzw will exchange your GNex for a Razr M. It's got a locked bootloader, but for you that probably is less of an issue than signal quality.

OP
jared845

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
BleedingEdge said:
Try to get somebody else with an LTE device to the areas you have trouble in. Compare phone signals. If they have significantly more signal than your phone, ask for a replacement, or request a different phone if you don't want to root. Moto often does have somewhat better radios. Maybe vzw will exchange your GNex for a Razr M. It's got a locked bootloader, but for you that probably is less of an issue than signal quality.

Supposedly a new sw update will be rolling out very shortly its not job but does address the data and signal issue

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
"supposedly" is the key word. This is verizon we're talking about, the carrier that has neglected this phone from the start. I'm not going to force you, but i highly recommend you root and ROM your Nexus. The new 4.1.1 radios are a world of difference as well.

MonKENy

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity why would you not want to root? The things you ca do w/this phone are amazing.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just out of curiosity why would you not want to root? The things you ca do w/this phone are amazing.
Alot of people aren't comfortable with the idea of messing around with the software of their device, especially if they aren't tech savvy. I am pretty tech savvy myself, but even I was a nervous wreck when I rooted my OG Droid many moons ago.

Plus the fact that it voids their warranty scares many people off. Some aren't completely convinced that it can't be put back to stock and that rooting leaves some sort of evidence.

But yes, the things a rooted phone can do still boggles my mind. Just this morning I flashed a new ROM and slapped a new theme onto it. Then I thought, man if only stock users can get this experience. I showed my cousin the green softkey buttons and yeah he was a bit jealous even though he has an s3

OP
jared845

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
MonKENy said:

As dez said I'm not comfortable doin it. I. rooted my thunderbolt and it got messed up and really don't wanna void the warranty also . I'm sure I can root this but I'll just wait and wait and wait for the ota updates no biggie just hope it comes soon.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
As dez said I'm not comfortable doin it. I. rooted my thunderbolt and it got messed up and really don't wanna void the warranty also . I'm sure I can root this but I'll just wait and wait and wait for the ota updates no biggie just hope it comes soon.

Although it may void your warranty, it can be put back to 100% out of the box stock. There really is no evidence of it being rooted once you restore it to factory settings. However, again it's your comfort level. There are tons of people here, including myself, who will gladly walk you through rooting it. If you don't want to really learn adb there are other options such as Wug's toolkit that makes it extremely easy (really all you do is click step by step). Up to you of course. I hope for the sake of the stock users that the update comes soon, but I lost faith in Verizon before launch.