Poor 3G signal

electric6

Reaction score
This seems to be the case. At home, without my network extender, I get about -98dBm. I recently activated my old Droid 1 on an unused family plan line ($30/mo, why not?) and had it sit next to my Thunderbolt. My Thunderbolt showed -80-92dBm but had 1 bar. My Droid 1 showed -90-110dBm and had 3-4 bars when I unplugged the network extender.

This is probably why people are complaining of worse reception when in fact they're getting better. Signal bars are an inaccurate way of gauging reception imo. Because on my Thunderbolt, even with 0 bars I was able to make a really clear phone call a few days ago.

yeah what you are describing has been my ecperience exactly. You know, this is panning out just like the dinc's initial release. It had this exact same signal bar issue as well. lol im not worried about it anymore, gonna keep this power hungry beast afterall!! Best 320 bucks i ever spent.

mitchb2

Reaction score
I've had nothing but 1x since Monday, and that's in the same physical locations that originally had 3g/4g. I guess I'll replace the phone and see what happens.

Edit: Vz tech had me pull the battery and also the SIM card. Came back up and has been on 4g ever since. At work, I still don't expect anything at home.

Last edited:

electric6

Reaction score
Well i thought these would be resolved, but i no longer get a usable sign at my apartment. Its gotten worse, not better. Dropped a call with my gf like three times in 15 minutes. even after restting, reseating sim, etc, etc, it still is not reliable. It was fi.e a few days ago, so idk what has changed. Very dissapointed. I guess my only option now is to either exchange it, or
Return it and buy a d1 from telesales.

kparks

Reaction score
Well i thought these would be resolved, but i no longer get a usable sign at my apartment. Its gotten worse, not better. Dropped a call with my gf like three times in 15 minutes. even after restting, reseating sim, etc, etc, it still is not reliable. It was fi.e a few days ago, so idk what has changed. Very dissapointed. I guess my only option now is to either exchange it, or
Return it and buy a d1 from telesales.
If u take it back and explain that u were having problems and ur phone is defective the might extend the return date

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

James9109

Reaction score
Sometimes my bars are low but i never have the problem with dropped calls and etc.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

glennj

Reaction score
I guess this is the right thread........had two weeks with no issues so freekin' chalk me up now to the cadre of users with disappearing data connectivity issues.

I have to go to Dayton OH every other week for one day for work. Dayton is a market slated in sometime 2011 to get LTE. First time I've had my Tbolt in Dayton and from the get-go here, I swing in and out of 4g/3g/nothing. The signal bars are always a full 4 bars, which when I see that, am immediately suspicious. Then I try and get a webpage, and it times out or says no connection, etc. Then I'll go back later after having left the phone and it will have loaded the page at some point after I left it.

Reboots, etc., bring it back, but it consistently goes bye-bye. This is the first time I've had this happen, so I don't know if it's tower issues or what. Switching setting in mobile networks doesn't work either, as has been suggested. Battery pulls? Only temporary fix; the problem returns.

But I do know it is supremely frustrating and purely unacceptable. Hopefully, it won't continue in the area I spend most of my time.