How to tell a new SAFE Note 7 from the "explosive" version...

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Okay folks, this article hit earlier today and hopefully the labeling will be global:

galaxy-note-7-replacement-identifier.jpg

So there will be a sticker with a black square on it, and perhaps a second sticker with an "S" on it.

Samsung finally said when Galaxy Note 7 replacements that don’t explode will start shipping

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Am I reading correctly that the ones labeled like above are the so-called "safe" ones?

thc1967

Reaction score
I wonder if the IMEI database will include models manufactured before the problem became apparent. As I understand it, one provider's batteries were good while another's were bad. If they kept track of which battery they put into which phone, 30% of us wouldn't have to exchange.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My first guess would be to converse with it..see if it had a short fuse..or if it would go off easily..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I wonder if the IMEI database will include models manufactured before the problem became apparent. As I understand it, one provider's batteries were good while another's were bad. If they kept track of which battery they put into which phone, 30% of us wouldn't have to exchange.

The check of the IMEI is apparently a conclusive way to check, so you have raised a valid argument.

Moulton

Reaction score
I'm so confused. Are they going to announce when we can expect the replacements to ship or be available? Right now it just seems like you'll get it when you get it...which would be fine if they just said that. No, I don't want my money back or a downgraded device if I don't have to do that. All I want is a date, something to base my expectations on besides "rumors". The average consumer is moving on and the loyalists are on edge.

A date...that's all I need. A Verizon rep at their customer service center told me the Note 7 was discontinued...I was so disgusted I just hung up on her and I'm not usually that scummy. End of my whining, sorry.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm so confused. Are they going to announce when we can expect the replacements to ship or be available? Right now it just seems like you'll get it when you get it...which would be fine if they just said that. No, I don't want my money back or a downgraded device if I don't have to do that. All I want is a date, something to base my expectations on besides "rumors". The average consumer is moving on and the loyalists are on edge.

A date...that's all I need. A Verizon rep at their customer service center told me the Note 7 was discontinued...I was so disgusted I just hung up on her and I'm not usually that scummy. End of my whining, sorry.

Just spoke with a source of mine at Verizon, someone who definitely would be in the know. What she told me was, and I quote, "You know what we know. Samsung told us they would be in by next week". When I questioned her and tried to nail down a specific as to when next week, her response was again and I quote, "They didn't tell us whether it was going to be Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday, just that it was going to be next week".

This is not Verizon fault, mind you. As is often said, don't shoot the messenger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Just spoke with a source of mine at Verizon, someone who definitely would be in the know. What she told me was, and I quote, "You know what we know. Samsung told us they would be in by next week". When I questioned her and tried to nail down a specific as to when next week, her response was again and I quote, "They didn't tell us whether it was going to be Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday, just that it was going to be next week".

This is not Verizon fault, mind you. As is often said, don't shoot the messenger.

I'm more interested in the process. What do I need to bring when I walk into the Verizon store to get my replacement..

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Also regarding the rumor of the Note 7 being discontinued, that is entirely false. The actual legitimate status of the Note 7 in Verizon's computer systems is on hold in quotes on hold. Samsung is in fact working to replace stock so that the stores Can Begin Again selling them, but all Note 7 stock in all Verizon dealership stores including private dealers, Best Buy's and other locations of that type, and the Verizon phone center stores themselves has been shipped back under RTV ( return to vendor).

The replacement process is simple. You will bring back to the store all contents of the original packaging, including charging cables and wall adapters, in order for the new phone to be replaced. At this point, it is expected that the replacement phones will be brand-new packages with all the same assessories already included.

This is for two reasons, one is because in order for Samsung to be 100% sure that they received all defective phones and any phones that may ultimately present with these problems they want to test the Chargers and cables as well. second, they are already boxed or will already be boxed in retail packaging when they arrive at the stores and so there is no way for them to effectively remove them all from boxes and just pull the phones out for exchange purposes. That does not mean however, that the dealers themselves may not ultimately allow a swapping out of the phone itself, but that would be against the recall requirements and may ultimately put additional phone users at risk.

This is assuming you haven't opted for the exchange to an alternative device temporarily. That is of course Samsung's recommendation at this time, and highly advisable based upon the risks of these phones failing and potential personal injury and loss of life and possessions.

The failure is almost certainly tied to the charging process, and so if the battery already has power it's not expected that the phone will simply start burning up on its own while being used, however I do believe there is at least one report out there now which says that the phone did in fact do just that. I'm not sure how credible that claim is, as the phone may have simply just come off of the charger prior to failing, however I would say in this situation and given the lack of complete understanding of what is at the root of the problem I would recommend erring on the side of caution.

I know this goes against something I said earlier, about the lower chance of these phones failing while being used, but it is in alignment with the recall request and given that most recent report, I feel that retracting that information and taking this new position is prudent.

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
The replacement process is simple. You will bring back to the store all contents of the original packaging, including charging cables and wall adapters, in order for the new phone to be replaced. At this point, it is expected that the replacement phones will be brand-new packages with all the same assessories already included.

I don't believe the exchange process has been actually laid out. Having a Note 7 and being in contact with both Samsung and Verizon on this issue neither has definitively stated how the process will work. Since the defect is only with the phone and more specifically the battery the need to return all accessories is not something that would be warranted.

I for one, unless specifically told by Samsung or Verizon will only be turning in my phone.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That may be true but that's what I've been told. We shall see.

Normally investigations into the causes of things like this can carry on for months. Especially when CPSC is involved. For anyone to diagnose and make definitive determination as to the cause of failure in such a short time is both unrealistic and risky.

There's not much to see regarding cause in a battery that has melted into oblivion, so there will need to be testing and retesting, and given the very minimal number of actual failures, they will possibly need to test hundreds, if not thousands and get them to fail under controlled test environments in order to conclusively determined the true cause.

Claiming it's the battery is easy and safe since the battery the unintended incendiary device. Nobody knows for sure. If it was that easy to diagnose then why didn't they catch this defect during testing prior to release? I'm going with what I'm being told now which is that erring on the side of caution is prudent.

Also as indicated in the OP by Preach2K at the top of the thread informational post there is an image of the box showing the serial number label with a black square and an 'S' label being applied to those to be known as containing the "good" battery. How credible is that photo or illustration is anyone's guess but again I think it's far too early to take what is being told as the cause now as the final diagnosis.

Last edited: