How to read email attachments???

loboblanco

Reaction score
I've received a few emails with word docs attached. When I click on the doc it says "fetching" but just keeps spinning and doesn't open the attachment. Same thing when I emailed myself an mp3. How do you open attachments in email?

kpenrose

Reaction score
When I have received emails with word docs attached, an application called quickoffice is used to open and display the document. I haven't tried with sound files, but .doc and .ppt files seem to be handled correctly. Not sure why yours doesn't open. Don't look for quickoffice in the applications tab, it's not there. Must be built into the OS somehow.

OP
L

loboblanco

Reaction score
I read somewhere else to uncheck the "accept certificates" box and that fixed the problem.

rikkitikkitavi

Reaction score
Where is the "accept certificates" box located?
I first made sure I had "Quickoffice. Go to the inbox and click "Menu" key, "Account Settings", "Incoming Settings", "Accept all SSL Certificates"

Go out and into the email with the attachment. Open attachment. My screen has me "COMPLETE ACTION USING" - BeamReader - PDF to Go - Quickoffice. I chose Quickoffice and it opened perfectly.

I hope this helps.

R1Lover

Reaction score
If your using exchange use the trick above on the certs, if it's pop3 then I haven't seen this before.

Mark5047

Reaction score
I thought there was a bug with Exchange where you could only open picture attachments and the Jan 22 update is supposed to correct the rest?

keeseckb

Reaction score
I can view PDF, doc, and others in gmail and browser, but not in exchange. Just says fetching document...

phytphyr

Reaction score
same thing i heard fron verizon IT guys. They are aware of the issue of opening attachments and will fix the problem with update 1/22/10

1stdroid

Reaction score
Can't Open .PDF Files

Hi all,

I can't open .pdf files. Any help? Do I need to download an Adobe reader? I checked on this but, non of the mobile readers they offered showed specific compatibility with the droid.

Thoughts?

phytphyr

Reaction score
Yes that is true i had same prob with opening attachments and when i unchecked "accept all SSL certificates" i can now read / view all attachments! yea! and you get there by
1. go to your e mail account
2. push menu
3. push account settings
4. scroll down to the bottom and push incoming settings
5. make sure the accept all SSL certificates is UNCHECKED
ps if you dont see accept all SSL certificates box then check use secure connection box and accept all SSL certificates should pop up but do not check it

joewinograd

Reaction score
Not being able to view attachments in a non-Gmail account was a show-stopper/deal-killer for me. The Droid was going back! Fortunately, there's a solution. It's called K9 and is an experimental fork of the core Android POP/IMAP email client (free download available in the Android Market -- shows up as the only app when you search for K9). I just installed it and set it up with two private domain (non-Gmail) email accounts -- works great! On each attachment, there's an Open button and a Save button. The Open button launches whatever viewer you have, such as the built-in Quickoffice or the far superior DocumentsToGo. The Save button puts it on the SD card. It doesn't give you a choice of folder (it puts the file in the root of the SD card), but I can live with that. You can then pull it up from the SD card with a file manager (like Astro) and load it with Quickoffice, DocsToGo, etc. -- very nice! Regards, Joe

kingofbass

Reaction score
I'm kinda having the same problem i can't open an video email from my wife's blackberry it keeps saying fetching attachment then it says attachment cannot be displayed can anyone help thanks