Attachments never open with Exchange

R1Lover

Reaction score
Glad it worked for you too, the yahoo mail should be easy? I have several other e-mail accounts setup on mine.. not yahoo, but many of my own domains.

jason_jm

Reaction score
I deleted my exchange account

turned phone off

turned on phone

added exchange account

attachments now work

dservey

Reaction score
Unfortunately for me our corporate exchange server requires the SSL connection in order to allow connectivity... big security risk if everything is shipped around unencrypted. Tried but couldn't open connection to the server without SSL.

R1Lover

Reaction score
Unfortunately for me our corporate exchange server requires the SSL connection in order to allow connectivity... big security risk if everything is shipped around unencrypted. Tried but couldn't open connection to the server without SSL.

If you have nothing to hide then it's not an issue... imo I could care less if someone is sniffing my e-mails... good for them lol I know this is not an answer for you, but often times people are too paranoid.

OP
N

ndolaw

Reaction score
verizom has escalated prob to level 3

They say its a national problem. I'm on business plan. They claim fix will be posted. Mine still not working. Even emails forwarded from droid come as attachments. So can't open those either.

luey81

Reaction score
It Works

I left "Use Secure Connection (SSL)" checked and then unchecked "Accept all SSL certificates" and now attachments open up fine. Hope this helps.

OP
N

ndolaw

Reaction score
Fix Works-uncheck Accept All SSL certs, but still cant open .eml, .htm, and .wmv

The fix worked. thanks. I notice that the device is still unable to open .eml, .htm, and .wmv attachments. It also only gives you the option to save an attachment if its a picture/image file. You only get "Open" option on other attchments. A lot of forwarded emails from mobil phones and web mail come as .eml attachments. This is a real problem that it cant open these.

performancedesign

Reaction score
Unchecking "Accept All SSL" worked for me too - thanks. I can't remove the SSL, but my hosted exchange provider actually told me to use the "accept all" because it would have less problems. Perhaps my calendar will actually push now too.

This thread seems to be all business people - am I the only one GREATLY disappointed in Motorola and Google for some of the shortcomings? Sure they might get it fixed, but these are MAJOR issues and even once those are done, this leaves me wanting for a lot of options (filing emails in folders, signature, delete off handheld only, save permanently on handheld, etc.)

And I consider not having tasks and notes and especially ones that will also sync with Exchange to be absolutely ridiculous.

I am afraid for Droid - even if they get it right, it might scare enough power users off before they get it right.

OP
N

ndolaw

Reaction score
Email must be right for business

I agree. I may regret my decision to go with Droid. but the Android platform opens alot of doors for improving. I bet we will see a tasks and Notes app soon that will sync.

I bet we will also see some different email APPS. now that the phone supports exchange push, anyone could write APP to "handle" the content.

I really need ability to edit an email I forward, to remove text, long headers, etc... and to prevent it from going to the recipient as an attachment. right now the only choice is forward the whole thing as an attachment, or delete the "Quoted Text".

I wish they would have let me be a betatester.

newdroidman

Reaction score
Solution to fetching attachments

I had this same problem. This is what I did to solve it.
Go to Settings,
Accounts & Sync,
Scroll down to Manage Accounts,
Click on the appropriate exchange account,
Account settings,
Scroll down to Incoming Settings,
Uncheck Accept all SSL certificates.

I then paid for and downloaded Documents To Go. I can open jpegs, xls, doc, etc. Fast and easy.

The only files I'm still having trouble with are TIF files. If anyone has the solution to it, I'd appreciate it.

peterjames

Reaction score
Self-Signed & Wildcard Certificates

Seems that if you use self-signed or wildcard certificates unchecking accept all SSL certificates will cause you to stop receiving mail at all.

So, wildcard certs need to be supported
&
Self-signed certs need to be able to be installed

-OR-

Attachments need to be made to work when the Accept All SSL Certs option is selected.
---------------

My Exchange server utilizes a wildcard cert for the entire domain (*.<domain>.com) works fine on the iPhone and with Windows Mobile unfortunately not with the Droid.

Potch

Reaction score
Possibile Fix?

Have you tried going into the Accounts Settings and turning off"Accept all SSL Certificates"? It worked for me. Press and hold the Account you created. Select Account Settings. Scroll down to Incoming Settings. Take off the check mark on Accept All SSL Certificates. Hope this helps. BTW: that little problem also causes battery life issues. Good luck!

peterjames

Reaction score
Have you tried going into the Accounts Settings and turning off"Accept all SSL Certificates"? It worked for me. Press and hold the Account you created. Select Account Settings. Scroll down to Incoming Settings. Take off the check mark on Accept All SSL Certificates. Hope this helps. BTW: that little problem also causes battery life issues. Good luck!
Yep, unfortunately that method doesn't work with self-signed or wildcard certs.
And as SSL is required (for the obvious security reasons). There is currently no way around this for people using either type of cert.

peterjames

Reaction score
DROID : download attachments from their exchange account?
Go to the settings for your account. Then choose Incoming settings. Uncheck the box labeled "Accept all SSL Certificates" All attachments that you have a viewer installed will now open :icon_ banana:
That method has been mentioned several times - however it does not address the problem if you are using self-signed or wildcard certificates. If, in theses cases, you do like you suggest and uncheck the "Accept all SSL Certificates" and your server is set to require SSL you will not be able to connect to your email at all.... let alone have access to attacments.