headed to the vzw store to swap my handset, what steps should I take?

velocity92c

Reaction score
My phones keyboard adhesive has come loose so I'm going to go up to the vzw store and swap it out.

First, my phone is rooted so I need to unroot my phone first, since that voids my warranty, right? Is this an easy process?

Second, on my new handset, if I do a nandroid restore, will it return my phone to the state that it's currently in, assuming I make a new backup? If so, where are the nandroid backups located, and can they be copied to the pc?

Third, are there any apps that automate the process? I wouldn't be opposed to paying a few bucks to make this easier.

Anything else I should know? Thanks in advance.

Wildyfz450

Reaction score
My phones keyboard adhesive has come loose so I'm going to go up to the vzw store and swap it out.

First, my phone is rooted so I need to unroot my phone first, since that voids my warranty, right? Is this an easy process?

Second, on my new handset, if I do a nandroid restore, will it return my phone to the state that it's currently in, assuming I make a new backup? If so, where are the nandroid backups located, and can they be copied to the pc?

Third, are there any apps that automate the process? I wouldn't be opposed to paying a few bucks to make this easier.

Anything else I should know? Thanks in advance.
Unrooting isn't that hard of a process.
Yes for your new handset if you load up the nandroid restore you will be exactly where you made that one. But you will need to install SPrecovery or clockword to do so.
The nandroid backups are SDcard/Nandroid/ and all your backups will be there. You can just copy the one you need or even the whole folder. It is a good idea to have your whole SD card saved on your PC tho.

techguru

Reaction score
Rooting does NOT void a warranty. Unless Verizon can prove that your issue is caused by your modifications (and a loose keyboard certainly doesn't count) than it is ILLEGAL for them to withhold warranty service or replacement.

This link is about car modifications, but the law is not specific to motor vehicles only.
Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act

General information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Alan

eliassami5

Reaction score
Rooting does NOT void a warranty. Unless Verizon can prove that your issue is caused by your modifications (and a loose keyboard certainly doesn't count) than it is ILLEGAL for them to withhold warranty service or replacement.

This link is about car modifications, but the law is not specific to motor vehicles only.

General information: Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alan

..wrong...........

From Motorola's Droid Warranty, under exceptions:

ƒUnauthorized Service or Modification. Defects or damages resulting from service, testing, adjustment, installation, maintenance, alteration, or modification in any way by someone other than Motorola, or its authorized service centers, are excluded from coverage.

and, from asurion:

j. Virus
Computer virus or any other malicious code or
similar instruction that:
(1) Disrupts the normal operation of the Covered
Property; or
(2) Results in destruction of or unsuitability of data
or programs stored in the Covered Property.

and

l. Intentional Loss or Damage
Damage to Covered Property which is the result
of it having been used in a manner inconsistent
for which it was designed or intended by the
manufacturer. We also do not cover damage that is
intentional or the result of abuse.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

General information: Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alan

Except for the part where you agreed not to mod your phone when you bought the service from them. See the above post.

Good luck citing Wikipedia in a court of law....

Inkubik7

Reaction score

ƒUnauthorized Service or Modification. Defects or damages resulting from service, testing, adjustment, installation, maintenance, alteration, or modification in any way by someone other than Motorola, or its authorized service centers, are excluded from coverage.

I think it's very specific where it says "defects or damages resulting from...

I think you're fine with a physical issue, because I don't think rooting your phone made your keyboard become less adhesive. Unless of course you're an extreme rooter.

I agree with quoting wikipedia though...not gonna get anywhere doing that.

Last edited:

eliassami5

Reaction score

I think you're fine with a physical issue, because I don't think rooting your phone made your keyboard become less adhesive. Unless of course you're an extreme rooter.

rooting = over clocking = heat = can cause keyboard to un-adhere

MrC1122

Reaction score

I beg to differ...rooting does not equal oc. I ran my phone for awhile just being rooted so I could run a custom theme. However, any modification such as rooting does void your warranty. And yes, if you oc, that will cause additional heat thus enabling loss of adheasion. (you can bet your a** verizon will throw this at you!) Returnin the phone back to "stock" (unrooting) may help, at any rate...good luck man.

Last edited:

eliassami5

Reaction score

I beg to differ...rooting does not equal oc. I ran my phone for awhile just being rooted so I could run a custom theme. However, any modification such as rooting does void your warranty. And yes, if you oc, that will cause additional heat thus enabling loss of adheasion. Returnin the phone back to "stock" (unrooting) may help, at any rate...good luck man.

lol well ur one of the very few that didnt overclock once you rooted. The majority of people root just to be able to over clock their device. Thats probably the #1 reason to root, next to wifi teather and custom themes.

MrC1122

Reaction score
lol well ur one of the very few that didnt overclock once you rooted. The majority of people root just to be able to over clock their device. Thats probably the #1 reason to root, next to wifi teather and custom themes.

Actually, wifi was a factor for rooting as well. It was mainly a case of brickphone-itus that initially stopped me from oc. lol

FlipCpt45

Reaction score

True. My keyboard is very hard to press and makes a crackling sound when i press it.. I'm overclocked @ 1.2ghz P3 Froyo & I've done many stress tests while trying out different Kernels (Even once with it sitting on top of a bag of ice lmfao)

I brought my phone to VZW with it rooted and everything and the tech told me it was slowing down because of the apps... Then proceeded to say something like "Your phone.. Doesn't have it.." lol Dunno what she was referring to..

Anyway, I should be receiving my replacement either tomorrow or weds.. I'll just flash the stock 2.1 .sbf file before I send it out with RSDLite

kristoff125

Reaction score
On the bright side, unrooting / restoring to stock is easier than rooting.
Also, verizon doesn't care if you root, maybe in corporate policy they do, but at the store where they get #'s from you having a contract with a data plan, they don't.

techguru

Reaction score

Alan

..wrong...........

and, from asurion:

j. Virus
Computer virus or any other malicious code or
similar instruction that:
(1) Disrupts the normal operation of the Covered
Property; or
(2) Results in destruction of or unsuitability of data
or programs stored in the Covered Property.

and

l. Intentional Loss or Damage
Damage to Covered Property which is the result
of it having been used in a manner inconsistent
for which it was designed or intended
by the
manufacturer. We also do not cover damage that is
intentional or the result of abuse.

No, your quotes go directly to my points. Only damage that is caused by software modifications or use outside the agreed to uses can void the warranty. Physical damage is covered no matter what software you are running (other than possibly a burned out processor from over-clocking, but then it would be pretty hard for them to prove you rooted anyway).

Alan

techguru

Reaction score

Alan

Good luck citing Wikipedia in a court of law....

Well duh!!! If I were to go to court, I would have the full text of the act, with highlights of the relevant portions and prior case law to back it up. The articles were to provide the OP with some assurance and something to show the Verizon store bot that he means business if they give him a hard time.

Alan