VZW offered a FRU Droid 2 to replace Droid 1 for FRU issues, should I take?

xmguy

Reaction score
Ok, the title states. I called VZW after getting 3 FRU Droid 1's that were defective (very loose screen, foul odor, pieces of junk in phone, etc) and said is there anywhere in ANY warehouse a NEW Droid 1 could be send. The nice Tech Rep looked in the system and said well don't have a new Droid 1 but we can send you a FRU Droid 2. I know the issues with the 2. Issues with REAL Nandroid backups, rooting, MOTO-BLUR :(. I must be crazy and probably most think I am. I'd rather have a NEW Droid 1 then even a NEW Droid 2. Thanks to Motorola's LOCKED BOOT LOADER and crappy MOTO BLUR. Anyway. Should I take it? I can't keep swapping Droid 1's. I like the faster phone of the 2. But I really love my 1. So if anyone can help shed some light and tell me how I can get root and a rom installed on the Droid 2. How I can backup (even if somewhat). I'm so on the fence. I want a new phone like the 2. But love the unlocked, blur-less Droid 1. So any help is welcomed. Like I said most will say I'm crazy. But I just need advise on taking the Droid 2 or trying again with a Droid 1. Sorry if I'm rambling or repeating my self.

Thanks!

devinhfox

Reaction score
I went through same thing, I chose the droid 2.
Verizon's certified like new warranty replacements are a joke. They lose credibility for that bs. One of the phones they sent me reset every 5 minutes, regardless of temperature or workload.

Anyway, motoblur ain't bad. I like the universal inbox. Not as hackable, but a phone with 512 ram (double droid1) is very nice.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Both are rootable, overclockable (though the D1 is a LOT easier to overclock), and quality pieces of hardware. However, if your'e used to the D1 you might want to drop ADW or LP on a D2 as soon as you get it so you don't have to learn how to deal with Blur.

Personally I'd go for the D2 at this point if I had to choose between a crappy D1 and a new D2.

And for rooting there are multiple options and I can link you to your choice of rooting methods. If you wish to ROM it I have a link to that very thing as well.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
The d2 is only failing on the hackability at the moment, but devs are working around the blur, and even making roms with blur that run better than stock due to deflation. The younger brother is not complete crap and the older brother is phased out as seen by the fact that only crap is left on the shelves. Take the offer. Enjoy the slow and bumpy ride like the rest of us.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
The d2 is only failing on the hackability at the moment, but devs are working around the blur, and even making roms with blur that run better than stock due to deflation. The younger brother is not complete crap and the older brother is phased out as seen by the fact that only crap is left on the shelves. Take the offer. Enjoy the slow and bumpy ride like the rest of us.

Upside for the Droid 2 I can run a REAL FM Radio. For that I'd take Blur in a NY min. I'm a sucker for REAL FM Radio. But I guess I will try it. I asked the rep. She thought I was nuts most likely. If I didn't like the Droid 2 could I keep what I have. She said yes. Of course the D2 offer would be off the table. I just want Root access. ability to backup then restore if I move to another D2. BTW I'm also guessing I can't restore my nandroid backups to the D2 can I. :( It's a FRU D2. But the rep even stated since it's so new chances are it will be in better condition. If the Droid 2 was the Droid 1 but faster this would not even be discussed. But it's not.

BTW, I don't want the "universal inbox". Can I still use Handcent SMS and have Gmail app. I want my current launcher. Launcher Pro because my icons and such are just the way I like them. I'm picky what can I say. I just wish the D1 was still available new. my oh my don't I ever. It hasn't even been a full year (til next week) :(

gunz.jones

Reaction score
The fm radio off xda works. Just get all the permissions right before install and have a ball. Need to be in an area with good radio waves though or use a 30 foot headphone cord.

Edit: You can use handcent in place of stock and you can use just the gmail app or yahoo app. The universal thing is not required. Just don't add accounts to it when it asks other than gmail.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
The fm radio off xda works. Just get all the permissions right before install and have a ball. Need to be in an area with good radio waves though or use a 30 foot headphone cord.

Edit: You can use handcent in place of stock and you can use just the gmail app or yahoo app. The universal thing is not required. Just don't add accounts to it when it asks other than gmail.

Small question about the FM radio. Can it be used via the ext speaker?

gunz.jones

Reaction score
It is supposed to, but I haven't gotten it to work. The loudspeaker option doesn't seem to bypass the 3.5.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
It is supposed to, but I haven't gotten it to work. The loudspeaker option doesn't seem to bypass the 3.5.

Hey man you've been a great help. I sent you a friend request. hope you can help if needed when I get the 2. Thanks!

I was afraid of that. I'm hoping that will be fixed for the FM radio.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the audio level is weaker on the Droid 2 vs the Droid 1 on the speaker? I've heard rumors that the volume level is lower on the D2.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
A friend at work has a d1 and they don't sound too different. I think the d2 was cleaner souunding...r2 whistles too damned loud