Nandroid backup and VZW questions

jakenovak

Reaction score
Hi, all... I believe this is my first post here, but I have a few questions I hope someone can answer:

My Droid, bought in December, is starting to flake out with the connection to the headphone jack (it doesn't matter if it is my earbuds, headphones, or the connection to my car stereo -- the slightest bump will make it think the connection is lost, and will pause the music player or Pandora until I press play again). Among with another loose connection with the microUSB connector (has to be at a perfect angle to charge), I've decided to take it into Verizon to swap out for a new one.

I have my system rooted and with a custom kernel (for wifi tethering), which I'm sure Verizon will not appreciate. My questions are the following:

1) Will nandroid backup EVERYTHING (ie, root privileges/apps/settings), or just certain things?
2) Is there a way to unroot and install the default software that came with the phone (start from scratch), so when I take it in they won't give me trouble? (will a hard reset take away root?)
3) Will Verizon have an issue with me swapping out the microSD in my current Droid for the new/refurb they will replace it with?
4) Has anyone ever had these issues with their Droids?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1) yes just choose all the options to backup

2)you reset everything if you need to send it back using SPRecovery

3) you should be able to keep this but im not positive

4) cant say that I have

Reaction score
If i was taking my phone back to Verizon i would do a complete nandroid backup. After that i would recommend using the one of the .sbf files floating around to completely send your droid back to stock so their is no trace of rooting or any custom recovery images left on the phone.