GPS possible on droid without 3G service?

pakratbob

Reaction score
I think that I understand the basics of how the Navigation works, there is a problem, however, with the statement that Navigation works, even if you don't have a data connection.

If you are driving from a 3G area and enter a non-3G area (i.e., even in a Verizon Extended area), you lose the maps. The primary route still shows, but if you deviate (either miss a turn or want to take a different road), the Navigation will NOT refresh with an updated route!!!

Also, if you are in a non-3G area and try to use Navigation, it will not compute a route. If you are picking up a WiFi signal, you can initiate the Navigation, but again, if you deviate once you start moving, the Navigation will not recompute the route.

To me, this is a very significant drawback.

EtherGnat

Reaction score
@pakratbob

Just to be clear, this is a limitation of using Google Navigation (which uses online maps), not of the Droid itself. If you use alternate software with local maps the GPS will continue to work just fine with or without a data connection.

I'd love to see Google Nav add the ability to cache at least basic street data for a city or state, but in the meantime it is what it is. If it's an issue look to alternate software.

Guchi

Reaction score
without the "assistance'' of cell networks to find you it CAN take upwards of 5 - 10 minutes to get an initial GPS fix with an unobstructed view of the sky. not saying thats always the case but sometimes....

pakratbob

Reaction score
@pakratbob

Just to be clear, this is a limitation of using Google Navigation (which uses online maps), not of the Droid itself. If you use alternate software with local maps the GPS will continue to work just fine with or without a data connection.

I'd love to see Google Nav add the ability to cache at least basic street data for a city or state, but in the meantime it is what it is. If it's an issue look to alternate software.

I have downloaded MapDroyd, but have not had a chance to play with it. So, I am not sure of its capabilities or issues.

Any specific software suggestions/recommendations? I have a Garmin, so I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but if I can get a reliable GPS through my Droid, I can give the Garmin to my kids.

TIA!!! :yr1: :D

Snoking

Reaction score
GPS Lock on

All GPS' need a general location for a quick lockon. When I bought my first Garmin 45 model years ago, the first lock on took 20 or 30 minutes or longer. It then stored a location for the next restarts. My Tomtom has a quick fix app that downloads from mytomtom online when I tether it to the computer, which aids in fast locking on. Second gen GPS started asking for general location info on first cold start, or if you moved it across the country to a different location you could manually go update that info.

So, with that knowledge, the Droid GPS appears to be using aGPS online to provide the initial location info, and without it time to lock on is extremely long or it will not lockon at all. There are 22 or 24 birds up there and the GPS needs to learn (lenghty process) or be prompted to it aprox location to understand what it is receiving and provide a quick lockon.

Someone might be able to write an app that allowed you to input a general Lat/Lon to aid the GPS in locking on. However this function may be at the firmware level in the phone.

My GPS History
Gamin:
45 Sold
48XL Sold
12XL
12XL
2006C
420C

Tomtom:
One

US Gobal:
Bu-353

Motorola:
Droid

And I built a Loran C Station in Thailand in 1966!!!! Ran a Loran A Station in California 67-69.

Snoking

Last edited:

smatter

Reaction score
I've tested the GPS on my droid quite extensively:

The GPS needs to have a live phone connection to get an initial lock. It will not lock without a connection.

Once connected the GPS will continue to function without phone service so long as it has a continuous GPS signal. You may not have maps or directions but you still can get a GPS position.

This has been tested repeatedly in areas with no Cell service (after 4 hours searching there was no GPS lock), and in areas with phone service in the Air plane mode: no GPS lock in 4 hours even using an external GPS antenna repeater for good signal in a GPS test facility.

tommyz

Reaction score

The GPS needs to have a live phone connection to get an initial lock. It will not lock without a connection.

Once connected the GPS will continue to function without phone service so long as it has a continuous GPS signal. You may not have maps or directions but you still can get a GPS position.

This has been tested repeatedly in areas with no Cell service (after 4 hours searching there was no GPS lock), and in areas with phone service in the Air plane mode: no GPS lock in 4 hours even using an external GPS antenna repeater for good signal in a GPS test facility.

I was afraid this is the reality of the phone.

KRyan

Reaction score
Has anyone found a fix for this yet? Is it the same with all android phones; Motorola, HTC, Samsung? I have seen a few apps that claim to make droid a standalone gps such as TrimbleOutdoors and Backpacker GPS Trails. Can someone try these out and see if they work? I'd really like to know before buying a new phone as this is a dealbreaker for me.

hiker_jon

Reaction score
confirms my observations

I was afraid this is the reality of the phone.

I finally found this thread which confirms the behavior of my droid. Must be some Verizon limitation. Why??? Do other carriers do the same thing?

snowman

Reaction score
I have the Droid 1 and it needs phone service to get started then it will use GPS if your in an area where the service is iffy, actually works pretty well considering it's a phone not a GPS.

hiker_jon

Reaction score
I have the Droid 1 and it needs phone service to get started then it will use GPS if your in an area where the service is iffy, actually works pretty well considering it's a phone not a GPS.
I agree that it works well when there is phone service. What bothers me is that I think the limitation may be a business decision by Verizon to cripple the GPS if there is no phone service. I don't understand why they would do this. Maybe there is some other thing going on, but so far no one has figured it out. It is made more murky by the fact that most people have little understanding of GPS. So you get a lot of answers by people that don't understand the real problem.

Last edited:

missjamie

Reaction score
GPS Not Working

Since I have installed Shadow Rom, my GPS will not find my current location. I rechecked and GPS is checked. I just downloaded the above app Orux Maps and it still can't find my location. It just says "Waiting for GPS position fix" and just sits there.

Greggger

Reaction score
Will my GPS work while hunting or hiking in an area where there is no cell service?

just curious i do alot of hunting in areas where i have no cell service wondering if i am in these areas of no cell coverage will i be able to turn on and find my location on my droid x via google maps or are there apps that i can find my location without cell coverage just using the gps?

wildbill86

Reaction score
Download a good gps app. I use back country navigator pro. You can save custom map areas to your phone when you have service so you can still use the map, and gps without cell signal when you don't have service. This has worked great for me. I also took advantage of amazons free app a few days ago which was Gaia gps or something, I havn't used it very much, but seems very similar to BCNP. Both were actually 10 dollar apps, as I said amazon had Gaia for free the other day, and the developer of BCNP didn't put a lock on the pro service so if you or a friend pay for the liscense key, the app can be bluetoothed to other phones for free. I sent him an email informing him of his mistake, not sure if it was fixed yet.
Sent from my rooted D2G

Greggger

Reaction score
So the back country pro works well?? I was looking at but but didn't purchase it because I didn't want to buy it if it didn't do what I needed. So ur saying with the BCNP I can use the gps to locate my elk hunting area ( where there is not a hint of cell coverage) while I have coverage and then once I get to the area where there isn't coverage the map is saved? For instance could I set waypoint like camp before i get there while having cell coverage and while out hiking be able to open BCNP and locate myself to relation of camp with no cell coverage? ??