2.1 update no location found when using browser

sun-sense

Reaction score
Prior to 2.1, when I used the browser with google.com as my home page, under the search bar it gave a Blue dot with location that was usefull for finsding local searches.

Since I upgraded, location just say's 'location unavailable'. Trying the update does nothing. What I mean by this, is the GPS symbol never comes on. It just fails.

I do use the GPS OK on maps and the GPS symbol does come on and I can navigate, its just the browser doesn't turn it on anymore to find the location.

I have checked the settings on the browser, and 'enable location' has been selected.

The phone has been rebooted, to no avail.

Anyone else seeing this and any ideas ???

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Prior to 2.1, when I used the browser with google.com as my home page, under the search bar it gave a Blue dot with location that was usefull for finsding local searches.

Since I upgraded, location just say's 'location unavailable'. Trying the update does nothing. What I mean by this, is the GPS symbol never comes on. It just fails.

I do use the GPS OK on maps and the GPS symbol does come on and I can navigate, its just the browser doesn't turn it on anymore to find the location.

I have checked the settings on the browser, and 'enable location' has been selected.

Try stepping outside and doing it. Mine fines me no problem run ing 2.1.

OP
S

sun-sense

Reaction score

Try stepping outside and doing it. Mine fines me no problem run ing 2.1.

I already said:-

"I do use the GPS OK on maps and the GPS symbol does come on and I can navigate"

The browser 'location' doesn't turn the GPS symbol on, it just fails.

Yes, That is all outside.

OP
S

sun-sense

Reaction score
I tried to do a safe mode start...

Initial Troubleshooting Steps (Please do these steps before asking a questions about a problem with your phone!)
Step 1: Remove battery. If issue persists, see Step 2.
Step 2: Boot the phone in Safe Mode. This can be done by pressing and holding the Menu button on the physical keyboard and the Power button when the phone boots up. You will know you are in Safe Mode because it will say so in the bottom left of the screen. If issue persists, see Step 3.

But it doesn't work. Is this just my droid or is this a 'feature' of 2.1 ?

PS. I've asked for this to be moved to Technical.

OP
S

sun-sense

Reaction score
OK - after numerous tries, I got it into 'safe mode'. This is what I did.

Power on

Wait for the white 'M' to appear

Then press and hold the menu (gold key on the right) key on the physical keyboard and the power key.

Tried the maps and navigating to prove the GPS is working - good to go. Good flashing GPS symbol and good position tracks round the streets.

Tried the browser. Still no location and update still fails to activate the GPS icon.

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Have you tried clearing cache and cookies in the browser?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
S

sun-sense

Reaction score
Yes, no joy. I cleared all the caches, cookies, setting and even did a reset to default.

The big problem I see is that it doesn't appear to access the GPS as the symbol doesn't flash.

On 2.01, when I started the browser, I would see the GPS symbol flash as it looked for my current location.

That hasn't happened since the update.

But the GPS works (and the GPS symbol flashes) when I use maps and navigation.

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I'm assuming you're not rooted. Take it in and see if there's something they can do. Verizon can reflash the phone back to out of box state and that should fix it.

OP
S

sun-sense

Reaction score
No, I have never rooted it. Just regular updates.

Re-flashing it seems a bit extreme.

What about the pictures, movies, songs and other data and settings I have ?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
All your pics are stored on the sdcard, if you log into google before they do everything it should save you settings, for the phone anyways. They might not reflash, they could have another fix though. You could try to do the manual update for 2.1, it will save everything like a regular update would. Just gotta find the file rename it update.zip and you can install it in recovery mode.

Dr01d

Reaction score
I've had this problem for awhile myself
No other issues, I've also tried all the same fixes to no avail. I am rooted though and gave wiped data and cash many times installing different roms. Eventually I justgave up trying to make it work.

Gkope

Reaction score

I had this same problem and just solved it recently. I unchecked the wireless networks and GPS satelites options in Location and Security in the Settings menu. Then rebooted and enabled the settings again. Can't exactly remember, but may have also unchecked the Use My Location under Privacy and then rechecked it after reboot. No, I don't know why this worked, but it did for me.