"Location Unavailable" GOOGLE.com

masters

Reaction score
What would cause google.com on the browser to say "Location Unavailable"? There is a link next to it that says "Update" but it does not.

GPS is on..

Anyone else? I almost think it was the update to 2.0.1 that did it, but I can't be sure.

JayMonster

Reaction score
It is a Google (web page) bug, and has been around for quite a while (saw it on my G1 over the summer so, no it is not related to 2.01)

gatorbait

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem. I have no idea what the issue is.

OP
M

masters

Reaction score
Is there anyway to get it back working.. It was nice having Google know the location.

boatman2220

Reaction score
Same thing here. It shows my location on maps, finds local things in search, just curious about this.

Silver Member
Reaction score
google location typically uses your cell towers to determine where you are. if you're using wifi to browse in an area of low reception, or poor quality because locale can't triangulate your position, there is a possibility that you won't be identified.

Takami826

Reaction score
same message, no wi fi... this worked on my Crackberry... it works ok on the maps but it was cool having it in the google page for searching stuff too...

JayMonster

Reaction score
The problem lies within Google, not the Droid. It happens on many phones, including my G1, and I have seen threads with a similar complaint on crackberry.com, so it is not even Android specific. It is something broken in the web page.

joebetsill

Reaction score
Sad.

I, too, had a problem with "Location Unavailable" on my Motorola Droid when going to Google.

I did a little systematic playing around and I have discovered that using Dolphin Browser causes this issue. Using the stock browser allows google to see me again.

It's a shame, because I really like Dolphin Browser, but I like location-aware search results even more. I haven't yet discovered an option to enable/disable to allow google to see me, but hopefully contacting the dev will shed some light on what's going on.

Are the rest of you using Dolphin Browser, too?

boatman2220

Reaction score
It is happening with stock browser, and with or without home screen replacement.

klaudt

Reaction score
I was having the same issue , so I went into settings and under location and security and I checked the box that says use wireess networks and now google knows my location

boatman2220

Reaction score
I was having the same issue , so I went into settings and under location and security and I checked the box that says use wireess networks and now google knows my location

I checked and mine was already checked on. My GPS, Navigation, Local Search, and Weather work. I'm not too concerned, just curious as why it shows unavailable on the Google search page, and why it's now in Spanish.