GPS not working after kitkat 4.2.2 unrooted droid dna

tjoreil

Reaction score
I have and unrooted HTC Droid DNA with VZW, about 3 weeks ago I got the 4.2.2 update. Last weekend I was out of town (in CO) and using the GPS with google maps and it was a little flaky but it was basically working, I wrote it off to being in the mountains.

This weekend Iam in the Bay Area (CA) and GPS is no longer working at all. I turn GPS on, it says it's on but when I go into maps there is no GPS icon. If I switch to navigation it sits for about a minute and then I get "GPS signal lost". I have rebooted multiple times and tried in the open on top of hills with nothing else around and I can not get the GPS to reengage.

I have downloaded 3rd party nav apps, and tried VZ navigator with the same results. I also pulled a GPS tool app from the play store and it was also unable to sync with the GPS.

I have a tablet that is having no GPS issues in the same locations so it does seem to be phone specific.

Is anyone else having this issue or preferably a solution? I don't use GPS very often but I actually need it as I am in a new location that I am completely unfamilar with.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Did you do a factory data reset after you updated to KitKat? It's not required, but an FDR is common practice and a good idea to do after a major update such as KitKat to avoid any such hiccups

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Let us know if the FDR worked for you.

OP
T

tjoreil

Reaction score
After the FDR (soft, it wouldn't let me into the fastboot/recovery screen). GPS is working as it should. The Nav woman's voice also seems to have reverted to a couple updates ago with very questionable pronunciation. It is working but I am not 100% convinced it's correct yet.

As a side note now I seem to be experiencing the same massive battery drain that others have reported. Screen and GPS on for about 35 min battery dropped about 55 to 60%. WiFi off and no other apps actively running.

Still it is a pain to set everything back up and the battery thing is worriesome.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was shying away from it because of the setting everything up again. If you have any word on the battery issues I would appreciate a ping.

hkwise01

Reaction score
I had similar issues till I went to settings»location»mode then choose high accuracy. I haven't had any problems since.