Google Voice

Timber

Reaction score
So I got my phone today and am new the the whole smart phone thing. I'm wondering if it's possible to use the Google Voice voice mail as my default vm over the terrible Verizon vm using my regular Verizon phone number? I know the Gvoice number goes there but I don't give out that number very often.

techguru

Reaction score
So I got my phone today and am new the the whole smart phone thing. I'm wondering if it's possible to use the Google Voice voice mail as my default vm over the terrible Verizon vm using my regular Verizon phone number? I know the Gvoice number goes there but I don't give out that number very often.

Log onto your Google Voice account and go to Settings. next to any number you have marked as "Mobile" will be a link that says "Activate Google Voice Mail on this Phone". Click the link and it will give instructions for setting up busy/no answer forwarding of your phone to your google number, and it will recognize forwarded calls from your number and send them straight to your Google voice mail.

They just added this feature last week.

Alan

Stigy

Reaction score
That's what I currently do, BUT PLEASE NOTE..

If you use Google Voice for your voicemail, ALL voicemail calls will use airtime minutes as the calls are being forwarded somewhere else besides Verizon.

OP
T

Timber

Reaction score
So basically I'm screwed if someone decides to leave me a long message?

My previous phone wouldn't always notify me when I had a VM so I was just looking for something that would actually work all the time..

raydog153

Reaction score
Does Google Voice use minutes? If I get a google voice number, I read you could send/recieve text messages free. Is that true? Would this mean I wouldn't need a text messenging plan anymore? Would this use up my minutes instead thou? Thanks in advance

guntfighter

Reaction score
RE:

Does Google Voice use minutes? If I get a google voice number, I read you could send/recieve text messages free. Is that true? Would this mean I wouldn't need a text messenging plan anymore? Would this use up my minutes instead thou? Thanks in advance

Thats what im wondering as well. Im looking to avoid a text plan and use google voice or another app for texting.

Stigy

Reaction score
Google Voice uses minutes and texts...

Google Voice is just a forwarding number so that when people call your GV number it rings multiple phones at the same time. If someone texts your GV number you can have it forwarded to your phone number or use the Android GV app to read the text messages.

IF (not sure if still valid) you put your Google Voice number on Friends and Family and then have Google Voice display ITS number as the Caller ID supposedly you would get unlimited minutes, but I am not sure if this still works.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's what I currently do, BUT PLEASE NOTE..

If you use Google Voice for your voicemail, ALL voicemail calls will use airtime minutes as the calls are being forwarded somewhere else besides Verizon.

Verizon's voicemail uses minutes also. At least it used it, does it not anymore?

phamous

Reaction score
There are 2 methods to use google voice. 1, is to use the google voice applications and 2, is to manually call the number.

Depending on which you do, you will have to configure your free friends and family calling numbers differently.

If you want unlimited calling using google voice via the google voice application, you will need to have a data connection. What happens when you make a call through the app, is it sends a request to the server and then forwards your call. You have to set your google voice number as one of the numbers on your friends and family's list. You will now have unlimited OUT bound calls. All calls inbound will cost you minutes unless you change your google settings to only display your google number. If your googlevoice settings are set to display caller ID, you will be charged.

The thing with google voice messaging via the app is it's slow. The application at this time can only support updates at 5 minute intervals or manual refreshes. You will need a data connection.

Otherwise, if you have texting, any sms messages sent to your google voice number will be forwarded to your handset's number.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
does GV sms alert my droid of whenever i get a new SMS without having to forward it to my gmail account

mclaughlingrc1

Reaction score
is it worth getting google voice eventhough it uses verizon minutes? can you toggle between numbers say when you want to call canada? so from what i am reading, if you put your goole number on friends and family you are all set for free and it won't use your verizon minutes? Help and thanks

Dragoro

Reaction score
Google voice doesnt use texts that count against your plan as long as you use the gv app to send and receive them.

hibiscus27

Reaction score
If you want unlimited calling using google voice via the google voice application, you will need to have a data connection. What happens when you make a call through the app, is it sends a request to the server and then forwards your call. You have to set your google voice number as one of the numbers on your friends and family's list. You will now have unlimited OUT bound calls. All calls inbound will cost you minutes unless you change your google settings to only display your google number. If your googlevoice settings are set to display caller ID, you will be charged.

alright...dumb question... but i dont know anything about GV...and this post (and thread) confused me a little (and its helping understand at the same time)

when would you ever have an INBOUND call that uses your minutes using GV? are you saying that when folks leave a voicemail they're using up my minutes?