Google Voice Help!!

bossrogue

Reaction score
Ok I have not set up my GV yet, but I want to use it to replace my current Visual Voice Mail through Verizon, because it takes forever to get a VM. I do not need the whole text forwarding and making international calls and all that jazz. So I am a little unclear on what option to choose.

A. To use a Google phone number (not sure for what actually)

B. To keep using my regular VZW number.

All I want to do is basically use GV to replace my existing VVM/VM. Any help is appreciated.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep your regular VZW number and set your voice mail to Google. Download the Google Voice app from the Market and set your voice mail setting in the phone settings (under call settings) to Google Voice instead of Carrier (VZW).

You will still have the option to get a Google voice number, I used my own number to forward voicemail and then after ward I grabbed a Google number.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You will have to set up your personal greeting through Google Voice, but yes it can be exactly the same. You just need to record it with Google's service.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I assume I will get the vm notification through the gv app then?
Yes. You can also set it to send you an SMS and/or an E-mail notification as well. I disabled both of these because the Google Voice app notifies me and shows the transcribed Voicemail... so the extra notifications weren't needed for me.

The app does not have all the settings that the Google Voice log in page in a browser does. Just an FYI.

OP
bossrogue

bossrogue

Reaction score
I assume I will get the vm notification through the gv app then?
Yes. You can also set it to send you an SMS and/or an E-mail notification as well. I disabled both of these because the Google Voice app notifies me and shows the transcribed Voicemail... so the extra notifications weren't needed for me.

The app does not have all the settings that the Google Voice log in page in a browser does. Just an FYI.

Everything is all good to go. Thanks a lot

les017

Reaction score
Concerning notifications, and this is only a possible problem based on how you do business....the tightest notification cycle in GV is 5 minutes. Meaning you could go 5 minutes before getting notified of a VM. If this is an issue to you then you may want to use the SMS or GMail notification feature.

Personally I turned off GV notification and use the GMail notification which is fairly immediate due to the "push". I then use the notification as an alert to go hit "refresh" in the GV app to get my VM

just FYI...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Concerning notifications, and this is only a possible problem based on how you do business....the tightest notification cycle in GV is 5 minutes. Meaning you could go 5 minutes before getting notified of a VM. If this is an issue to you then you may want to use the SMS or GMail notification feature.

Personally I turned off GV notification and use the GMail notification which is fairly immediate due to the "push". I then use the notification as an alert to go hit "refresh" in the GV app to get my VM

just FYI...
I like this idea. Thanks.

trevorparsons

Reaction score
Maybe wrong thread for this, but has anyone else just had an absolute disaster of an experience with Google Voice?

1. I cannot successfully get my Droid to call the GV phone number to check my messages when I press the voicemail button on the phone dialer, even though I have clearly set it up properly. It always ends up timing out (thanks to that god awful connection delay for GV) and then defaulting back to *86 to call my VZW voicemail account.

2. So far I've received two voicemails since getting my account setup. On both accounts, the visual voicemail transcripts have been ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. Not one sentence has been completely correct. In fact, 95% of the transcription is complete jibberish.

3. As previously mentioned, what is with that HUGE delay before connecting to check your voicemail? With all this technology provided meant to speed-up and streamline our phone usage, who on Earth is willing to wait 20-25 seconds to connect to their voicemail?? Am I missing something here?

I was really excited to get my invite and have everything going with GV, but so far it's an absolute joke.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe wrong thread for this, but has anyone else just had an absolute disaster of an experience with Google Voice?

1. I cannot successfully get my Droid to call the GV phone number to check my messages when I press the voicemail button on the phone dialer, even though I have clearly set it up properly. It always ends up timing out (thanks to that god awful connection delay for GV) and then defaulting back to *86 to call my VZW voicemail account.

2. So far I've received two voicemails since getting my account setup. On both accounts, the visual voicemail transcripts have been ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. Not one sentence has been completely correct. In fact, 95% of the transcription is complete jibberish.

3. As previously mentioned, what is with that HUGE delay before connecting to check your voicemail? With all this technology provided meant to speed-up and streamline our phone usage, who on Earth is willing to wait 20-25 seconds to connect to their voicemail?? Am I missing something here?

I was really excited to get my invite and have everything going with GV, but so far it's an absolute joke.
So you have the Google Voice app installed on your phone... and "Google Voice" selected as your Voicemail provider in "Call Settings"?

trevorparsons

Reaction score

So you have the Google Voice app installed on your phone... and "Google Voice" selected as your Voicemail provider in "Call Settings"?

Yes, and yes.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ I'm still learning the in's & out's of GV. Not sure what's going on with yours. Hopefully someone else will have the answer in this thread :)