Google Voice

ryanm

Reaction score
I know there are two options Keep Your Number and get a Google Number. They each can only do certain things and don't overlap. Can you put google on your phone and then get a google number and link that to your phone number that is linked-using two different emails?

Which way are you going- google number or yours?

Last edited:

romeov

Reaction score
They actually completely overlap 100%.

Google Voice

Using your own current number, you are limited to these things:

• Google voicemail: voicemail like email
  • Voicemail transcription: read what your voicemail says
  • Custom greetings: vary voicemail greetings by caller
  • International calling: low cost calls to the world
  • Notifications: read voicemail messages via email or SMS
  • Share voicemails: forward, embed, or download voicemails
and if you use your actual google voice number with your phone you get all the above as well as:

• One number: a single phone number that rings all your phones
  • Free SMS: send, receive & store text messages online
  • Block calls: send unwanted callers straight to voicemail
  • Record calls: record phone calls and store them online
  • Conference calls: join several people into a single call
  • Screen callers: hear who is calling before you pick up

Since I was getting a new phone and like to get a new number every few years to clear out old contacts I don't want to bother me anymore, I jumped at the chance to go full google voice. The way you can completely integrate it on Android 2.0 on the droid makes it insanely easy.

OP
ryanm

ryanm

Reaction score
Can I change my mind and get the google number instead of using my own?

romeov

Reaction score
Nope

Actually, no you cannot.

I was just reading this in a thread on Google voice forums. (which are actually the #1 place for any info you could possibly want on GV)

Google Voice Help

You can however wait to get another invite.. although I don't know if you can use it with the same email address.

ociopia

Reaction score
So if I wait to get my google voice number and activate my droid with that, I can just let go of my "old" cell phone number, if I understand what you are saying.

Do I also understand that I would not need to purchase Verizon's messaging as SMS through google voice is free? Meaning I can receive and send instant messages on the droid at no charge?

Thanks,

Sherry

romeov

Reaction score

So if I wait to get my google voice number and activate my droid with that, I can just let go of my "old" cell phone number, if I understand what you are saying.

Do I also understand that I would not need to purchase Verizon's messaging as SMS through google voice is free? Meaning I can receive and send instant messages on the droid at no charge?

Thanks,

Sherry

Yes, although you may be thinking of it differently. You still need your verizon number. You activate your Droid through Verizon with that number and it will work for any calls you make, you then sign up for google voice, download the google voice app from the market and activate google voice on your droid with your google account. So now your phone will essentially work with two different numbers, your verizon number, and your google voice number (which only forwards to your verizon number, so you have to have one)

The way to use Google Voice only is to never tell anyone your Verzion number. This way, although you still have it, it only acts as a hub to transfer your google voice calls in and out of your phone. That allows you to use all the great benefits of google voice. For SMS, you can either have them forwarded to your Verizon number instantly (and still have to pay for them through verizon) or drop your text messaging plan from verizon and use only the google voice app for free for texts. (they have a delay on them though so it's a give and take)

hope this helps.

ociopia

Reaction score
This was crystal clear and very helpful. Many thanks. I need no longer "wait" for the google invite/phone number. I have to have a verizon one. Thank you. And the messaging was clear. I think I'd rather have intant and pay $10 a month. Best,
Sherry

romeov

Reaction score
No problem, glad to help. Just remember if you do decide to go this route and don't have a Google Voice invite yet, you do need to request one and wait to get one

ociopia

Reaction score
I have. I've gone to that site and requested one. Did it Friday. So perhaps by the end of this week. My Android arrives Friday. The co-incidence would be great. Coming from an iphone, this will be a fascinating experience. sherry

romeov

Reaction score
That's great news. I would say a week might be pushing it though, right now as far as I know two weeks seems to be the shortest time to get an number. I could be wrong though, and either way, you need your verizon number set up anyways, so you can get used to the phone and just switch over to google voice when you get the number and set it up, enjoy!

MAzing87

Reaction score
They actually completely overlap 100%.

Google Voice

Using your own current number, you are limited to these things:

• Google voicemail: voicemail like email
  • Voicemail transcription: read what your voicemail says
  • Custom greetings: vary voicemail greetings by caller
  • International calling: low cost calls to the world
  • Notifications: read voicemail messages via email or SMS
  • Share voicemails: forward, embed, or download voicemails
and if you use your actual google voice number with your phone you get all the above as well as:

• One number: a single phone number that rings all your phones
  • Free SMS: send, receive & store text messages online
  • Block calls: send unwanted callers straight to voicemail
  • Record calls: record phone calls and store them online
  • Conference calls: join several people into a single call
  • Screen callers: hear who is calling before you pick up

Since I was getting a new phone and like to get a new number every few years to clear out old contacts I don't want to bother me anymore, I jumped at the chance to go full google voice. The way you can completely integrate it on Android 2.0 on the droid makes it insanely easy.

Question about this google voice system:

Can you select who sees ya mobile number or Google number? Is that something that can be done?

Audiophobe

Reaction score
Thanks to who gave me the invite.
Works reasonably well. People do mumble and talk fast so no complaints about mistakes.
But............ if the message is more than a couple of lines it comes up as multiple posts- Not a big deal, but my last message was long and after 2-3 posts it dropped (ended). I don't know if there's a length limit or if there was some other prob.

Last edited: