Google Voice

Vulnus

Reaction score
I just got a google voice invite the other day so I set it up and I was testing it out with another phone.

I noticed that when someone calls my google voice number it shows up on my phone exactly the way it does when someone calls my Verizon number. There's no way to tell if someone is using my google voice number or my real number to call me besides answering it.

Is there anyway to find out if the person calling you is using google voice or your real number?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to find out if the person calling you is using google voice or your real number?
You'd have to either set GV caller ID to display your GV number on all calls (posing an obvious drawback) or enable call presentation.

Haven't considered it an issue myself but I only give out my GV number. I don't even know what my VZW number is since I don't use it.

OP
V

Vulnus

Reaction score
You'd have to either set GV caller ID to display your GV number on all calls (posing an obvious drawback) or enable call presentation.

Haven't considered it an issue myself but I only give out my GV number. I don't even know what my VZW number is since I don't use it.

Thanks for the answer.
Call presentation is a very nice feature but if I answer and it turns out to be my VZW number I'll be forced to talk to said person. Not really an ideal situation if I'm trying to filter my calls.

Out of curiosity, does using your GV number cause you to lose the Verizon to Verizon phone free minutes thing? I figure since you use solely your GV number you're pretty knowledgeable on what the benefits and downsides to it are.

Dragoro

Reaction score
You have to add your google number and your outgoing google number (it shows the number when you place an outgoing call, and will change if you travel out of that numbers area) to your friends and family plan, otherwise the calls count against your minutes.

OP
V

Vulnus

Reaction score
I read about that earlier today, wasn't sure if that's what he was doing. I'm correct in assuming if you were to use GV without adding it to your F&F plan you'd lose out on the Verizon to Verizon free minutes, though?

I guess there's no way to tell the difference between an incoming VZW and GV call currently.