Google Voice Questions

Thefamous1

Reaction score
Do any of you use Google Voice and canceled your text messaging/calling plans?

And also, with Google Voice if someone calls my Google number - is there a way I can set it so it will be like calling my Verizon number? The only thing that bothers me is having two numbers. How are you guys using GV toggling between your numbers/using GV?

Thanks you,

Famous1

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your GV number has to forward to a phone, so have it forward to your cellphone. This way if someone calls your GV number, your cellphone rings. And they can still call your old cell number as well. This way you can use GV Visual Voicemail, and all the other features.

imiller913

Reaction score
Your GV number has to forward to a phone, so have it forward to your cellphone. This way if someone calls your GV number, your cellphone rings. And they can still call your old cell number as well. This way you can use GV Visual Voicemail, and all the other features.

+1 This is how I use mine I didn't cancell anything on my plan yet waiting to see how everything works out first.

phreakaj

Reaction score
anyone know if GV will stay free? cuz i dont want to start depending on a sevice that will skyrocket in price soon. I havent even started setting up my GV since i got my two invites anyone have any suggestions or examples of how they use theirs?

dbronstein

Reaction score
I just use GV for the voicemail functions. I don't call through it or give out that number.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
And also, with Google Voice if someone calls my Google number - is there a way I can set it so it will be like calling my Verizon number? The only thing that bothers me is having two numbers. How are you guys using GV toggling between your numbers/using GV?
Best method is to get your callers to switch. If they need to reach you they'll figure out how to contact you using the GV number. The whole intent behind GV's design is to have callers using the GV number. It can be used in other ways but it's an annoyance IMO.

I'm thinking of actually having my old numbers changed by my carriers so I can shed the callers that aren't getting it (as well as the other unwanted telemarketers, etc).

Zippster

Reaction score
I am still in the process of setting up my GV, got a magic jack in the mix too so figuring out what I'm doing with each is getting confusing as I just have too many phone numbers and options now. lol :blink:

OP
T

Thefamous1

Reaction score
Can you only make calls using GV from the web? When I open the GV app on the Droid it brings me to my inbox and gives me no other options. When I press the menu it gives me the options of Compose (SMS), Refresh, Labels, Balance, Settings, and Help. But no option to make a phone call?

determined419

Reaction score
If you have it installed, go to your home screen and add a widget. There should be one that says Toggle Google Voice. From there, you can click it and toggle between the choices to use GV # for all, none, only international. You can also go into the options and do it that way but thats more time consuming.

OP
T

Thefamous1

Reaction score
If you have it installed, go to your home screen and add a widget. There should be one that says Toggle Google Voice. From there, you can click it and toggle between the choices to use GV # for all, none, only international. You can also go into the options and do it that way but thats more time consuming.

I don't see the widget?

determined419

Reaction score
hmmm..... I have it on my homescreen. I believe it showed up once I updated Google Voice from the market.

EDIT: My bad man. Its not under widgets. Its under shortcuts when you go to add to the homescreen, way at the bottom. I just double checked.

OP
T

Thefamous1

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks determined.

I totally forgot about the entire shortcut ability on the Droid.

imiller913

Reaction score
wow I didn't know it had a shortcut I thought it was just an app to put on the homescreen.... Nice!