Google Voice Question

DylanAZ

Reaction score
I set up Google Voice to 'use a Google number'.

I am wondering if there is any way to place a call using my cell number rather than this number? Not all of the time, but alternating between using the two.

Thanks!

GrillMouster

Reaction score
In the Google Voice app on your phone you can set it up to always use your Google Voice number, never use your Google Voice number, or to ask you each time you place a call.

Just be aware that if you call the same person alternating between the numbers, it may confuse them on which number they should use to call you back or send you text messages.

OP
D

DylanAZ

Reaction score
I understand that. I guess my question was whether or not I can still use all of the Google Voice features (visual voicemal, free calls/texting) while using my original cell number.

les017

Reaction score
yes you can, just as described. The manner in which you generate a call has no effect on the rest of GV features.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
I understand that. I guess my question was whether or not I can still use all of the Google Voice features (visual voicemal, free calls/texting) while using my original cell number.

Your texts sent and received only through the Google Voice app will be free, because it uses your data connection (unless you have Google Voice settings to also forward text messages to your mobile phone number). Calls through Google Voice may not be free, because your phone is still using minutes to call the Google Voice service, which then routes the call to the final destination.

Taboot

Reaction score

Your texts sent and received only through the Google Voice app will be free, because it uses your data connection (unless you have Google Voice settings to also forward text messages to your mobile phone number). Calls through Google Voice may not be free, because your phone is still using minutes to call the Google Voice service, which then routes the call to the final destination.

I'm glad I read this. I thought GV calls were free.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess my question was whether or not I can still use all of the Google Voice features (visual voicemal, free calls/texting) while using my original cell number.
To clarify, incoming calls using your original cell number bypass GV so you can't use most of GV's features with those calls. Basically, the only GV feature supported with your original cell number is GV voicemail.

All incoming calls on your GV number can, of course, make use of all of GV's features.