Google Voice

Using your own current number, you are limited to these things:

• Google voicemail: voicemail like email
  • Voicemail transcription: read what your voicemail says
  • Custom greetings: vary voicemail greetings by caller
  • International calling: low cost calls to the world
  • Notifications: read voicemail messages via email or SMS
  • Share voicemails: forward, embed, or download voicemails
and if you use your actual google voice number with your phone you get all the above as well as:

• One number: a single phone number that rings all your phones
  • Free SMS: send, receive & store text messages online
  • Block calls: send unwanted callers straight to voicemail
  • Record calls: record phone calls and store them online
  • Conference calls: join several people into a single call
  • Screen callers: hear who is calling before you pick up

Since I was getting a new phone and like to get a new number every few years to clear out old contacts I don't want to bother me anymore, I jumped at the chance to go full google voice. The way you can completely integrate it on Android 2.0 on the droid makes it insanely easy.

Question about this google voice system:

Can you select who sees ya mobile number or Google number? Is that something that can be done?

If you connect the call using google voice, it will always show your google voice number as your caller ID. You have to set it up from the google voice app to do that in your phone though

MAzing87

Reaction score
They actually completely overlap 100%.

Google Voice

Using your own current number, you are limited to these things:

• Google voicemail: voicemail like email
  • Voicemail transcription: read what your voicemail says
  • Custom greetings: vary voicemail greetings by caller
  • International calling: low cost calls to the world
  • Notifications: read voicemail messages via email or SMS
  • Share voicemails: forward, embed, or download voicemails
and if you use your actual google voice number with your phone you get all the above as well as:

• One number: a single phone number that rings all your phones
  • Free SMS: send, receive & store text messages online
  • Block calls: send unwanted callers straight to voicemail
  • Record calls: record phone calls and store them online
  • Conference calls: join several people into a single call
  • Screen callers: hear who is calling before you pick up

Since I was getting a new phone and like to get a new number every few years to clear out old contacts I don't want to bother me anymore, I jumped at the chance to go full google voice. The way you can completely integrate it on Android 2.0 on the droid makes it insanely easy.

Question about this google voice system:

Can you select who sees ya mobile number or Google number? Is that something that can be done?

If you connect the call using google voice, it will always show your google voice number as your caller ID. You have to set it up from the google voice app to do that in your phone though

Thanks for replying.

Audiophobe

Reaction score
Help!

I'm having a major problem. Since the google voice to text is far from perfect (people who leave voicemails may speak quickly and not clearly) there are times I would like to check the actual voice mail to get missed information. I can't seem to access the actual voicemail from the links with the text.
And, when I go to check voicemail via the voicemail icon on the phone keypad (the one to the left that looks like a film cartridge) it conect to my # and my message. If I can't fix this, as much as I like the voice to text, I'll have to delete it.
Can anyone help?

Leastbay

Reaction score
Im not getting the texts or emails when i get a voicemail. i tested it and when someone called the phone it said to press pound and then my number, after that a message was left but I got no notification. Anyone know how to fix this? I dont want it asking people to input my number when they leave a message either.

joegrind

Reaction score
I'm having a major problem. Since the google voice to text is far from perfect (people who leave voicemails may speak quickly and not clearly) there are times I would like to check the actual voice mail to get missed information. I can't seem to access the actual voicemail from the links with the text.
And, when I go to check voicemail via the voicemail icon on the phone keypad (the one to the left that looks like a film cartridge) it conect to my # and my message. If I can't fix this, as much as I like the voice to text, I'll have to delete it.
Can anyone help?
Are you using the Google Voice Dialer free app? You can play it through there on your phone.

OP
ryanm

ryanm

Reaction score
You guys with problems should start a new thread.

Settings - Call Settings - Voicemail number - (Put the number that you see in the upper right when you log into google voice inbox)

nitsud

Reaction score
You guys with problems should start a new thread.

Settings - Call Settings - Voicemail number - (Put the number that you see in the upper right when you log into google voice inbox)

This doesn't work. For some reason google voice doesn't recognize the phone when that number is set as the voicemail number in settings. If I take it out and dial my google number it works correctly.

QiG

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I followed everything in this thread, but to be sure I want to ask:

I'd like to keep my regular Verizon number for regular phone calls, but if I want to use text messaging through GV, I'd have to give everyone that new # to use? I know most modern phones have the ability to store two phone numbers for one contact name, but people can be finicky at times with these kinds of things.

I suppose if I simply gave everyone the google voice phone number, had the call forwarding set-up and said to use it exclusively it wouldn't really matter in the end.