Gmail Won't Sync Droid

rjharding

Reaction score
My gmail on my Droid has not been syncing for the last 12 hours. I have not made any changes. Is anyone else seeing this or does anyone have any ideas or remedies? Doing a reset and a manual refresh/sync is not working.

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
Yeah looks like it is slow for me too. I just got a New Email notification for an email that came through at 5 a.m. yesterday. I sent a test email from my work to my gmail and a manual sync on the Droid shows "unable to open connection to server'. The test email showed up in my PC's browser, but not the gmail app.

OP
R

rjharding

Reaction score
I am now getting a "No Connection" error on my Droid. Must be a network problem.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here is what all of you need to do:

1) Go into the settings menu for the phone
2) Choose applications
3) Choose Manage Applications
4) Under Manage Applications set the Filter to ALL. Not sure why this isn't the default but c'est la vie.
5) Scroll down and choose GMail Storage
6) Tap the button for Clear Data

I was getting the no connection problem and this fixed everything for me.

Last edited:

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
Working for me now. I don't think it was just gmail but the entire app itself seemed to be down (network functionality that is). I just got a bunch from my other email account that showed up on the Droid.

CRJ700

Reaction score
Fixed it for me.....thank you!!!! This was driving me crazy.

ssummer

Reaction score
Had the problem for a couple days and JhankG's tip fixed it. Is there any word on why this happens and if a fix/update to the android Gmail app is in the works? This is unacceptable for a built-in app made by Google for on OS developed by Google for a service provided by Google.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Had the problem for a couple days and JhankG's tip fixed it. Is there any word on why this happens and if a fix/update to the android Gmail app is in the works? This is unacceptable for a built-in app made by Google for on OS developed by Google for a service provided by Google.

There are a few bug reports on google code about this. Wifi can cause the issue. If you leave an area while connected to wifi, the handover to 3g doesn't always work properly. The droid doesn't always renew your IP address so authentication w/ google's servers fails. That's just one theory.

I have made two changes and I've had no email problems since:
1) gmail app > settings > labels > inbox > sync all
2) don't use wifi

Not really sure if that's what did it but no problems in 2.5 weeks.

Kinda related for pop accounts: don't use the stock email app, use k9. Be sure to set folders to display to all.

mtgeorge

Reaction score
Here is what all of you need to do:

1) Go into the settings menu for the phone
2) Choose applications
3) Choose Manage Applications
4) Under Manage Applications set the Filter to ALL. Not sure why this isn't the default but c'est la vie.
5) Scroll down and choose GMail Storage
6) Tap the button for Clear Data

I was getting the no connection problem and this fixed everything for me.

Worked perfectly. THANKS!

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how to do what you have explained.

You mean me? Is the gmail app reporting connection/sync errors? The first thing to do is clear gmail storage data as outlined above. That is a short term fix. I made 2 changes and the problem hasn't occured in almost 3 weeks:

Open your gmail app on your phone, hit the phone's menu button, choose settings, choose labels, choose inbox, set to sync all. People have reported that this works for them.

In addition, I have stopped using wifi. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but so far so good.