Gingerbread plus root from...

ronz2000

Reaction score
i downloaded the droid2 bootstrap app from the market

i downloaded the TBH app and installed it.

downloaded rooted GB parts one and two from the TBH app

ran the bootstrap app (you need root, i think.)

booted into recovery via the app

created a backup of my phone.

chose the 'install zip from SD' option (it's something like that. not install update.zip).

chose part 1 of the gingerbread root zips, it ran and then told me to install part two.

selected 'install zip from SD' again, selected part 2, ran it.

this prompted a reboot

rebooted.

boom, rooted gingerbread.

then! i added the netflix .apk? and now i'm watching battlestar galactica. dancedroid
Thanks man... ur the best.. finally got GB.. woohoo

boodafli

Reaction score
no prob. i love it when people write it out step by step for me, cuz i'm pretty linear, so it makes it easier for me, you know? so, on the rare occasion that i can be the droid geek, i'm all about the bullet points.

DroidProokie

Reaction score
I have not rooted my Pro. Is it still worth it to go the Top Hat method to upgrade to GB since I still haven't received the OTA version?

StingRay

Reaction score
I have not rooted my Pro. Is it still worth it to go the Top Hat method to upgrade to GB since I still haven't received the OTA version?

My opinion...yes!

Really like the look and speed of GB...exchange email seems to be improved as well...

Having said that, there are others that have said their Pro is slower and lags once GB installed, so not a guarantee that you will like...

My thought was that this update (Gingerbread) will more than likely be the last update the Droid Pro sees, so I saw no worry about rooting and staying rooted...

Good Luck!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I think the real question you should ask yourself is..."what am I going to do with my Pro after root that I can't do in Gingerbread not rooted". Don't get me wrong, I agree with everything StringRay has said, especially about this probably being the last update we see for the Pro, and I have no issue with anyone who wants to root their Pro. But, if you don't have an idea of what you want to do with your phone after root, then maybe updating to the non-root Gingerbread is a better option for you right now. You can always root with the TBH method later after you better understand what it is you want to do with root.

StingRay

Reaction score
Jp's point is an excellent one...unlike many other Android phones, a rooted Droid Pro is very limited...development and custom ROMS are non-existent...rooting your Pro allows you to use some "root" apps such as Titanium back up, SetCPU, etc., but not near the payoff for rooting this device as there is with others....

When I heard that Gingerbread was in the process of being released I was debating on unrooting to receive the OTA, however when TBH came out with the rooted version it let me stay rooted to receive GB, and will probably remain that way the rest of the time I'm using my Pro...

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

luminous00

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I downloaded the TBH app, paid for it, and launch it. When i'm in the app, all I see are Blur version 3.8.7, 2.26.20 and RSDLite 4.9.0. I hit Blur version 3.8.7 and it just automatically cancels my download. Is Blur 3.8.7 the TBH Gingerbread?

StingRay

Reaction score
Im not seeing it in the TBH app anymore either...not sure if it is reading that I am already on the rooted GB or what...

The rooted GB download was in 2 parts ...you had to download and install at the same time...

You need to see about getting in touch with P3Droid, either pm him over at mydroidworld forums or by Twitter...he's usually not easy to get a hold of... I follow him on Twitter so I'll go ahead and message him to check the TBH app server and see why it's not showing up..

UPDATE: Got a message into the great bbcrackman over at mydroidworld about the issue with TBH app...hopefully we will hear something soon!

luminous00

Reaction score
Thanks StingRay, I went into the TBH app and I now see Gingerbread...but I need to be 3.8.7 rooted, right? Well I go to download 3.8.7 and the download cancels every time, whether on wifi or 3g. Same for you?

StingRay

Reaction score
Let me check and see...I never heard anything more from P3Droid or BBCrackman...

I'm already on the rooted Gingerbread, so let me see what is showing up in my TBH app...

Okay I'm seeing the 2 part rooted Gingerbread file(s) like I used when I updated to GB (4.5.110), so they've been added back....Are you currently rooted and which release/version are you on (3.8.7 or earlier?)/....I think you would need to root whatever version you are on before loading the 2 part GB update from the TBH file. If you're not already rooted you have to load the 3.8.7 and then root using "ARoot", which I'm not real crazy about....

I'm seeing 2 3.8.7 files to download, so see if either or both might download...I'm hesitant to select either as I don't want to bork my current setup...running great right now...Also, the 3.8.7 file on the TBH app is a sbf file, which you have to use RSD lite to load....I've never used RSD, so not going to be able to help much....

Appleman1969

Reaction score

chose the 'install zip from SD' option (it's something like that. not install update.zip).

chose part 1 of the gingerbread root zips, it ran and then told me to install part two.

this prompted a reboot

rebooted.

then! i added the netflix .apk? and now i'm watching battlestar galactica. dancedroid
I purchased the TBH app and the Bootstrap app, downloaded the GB files and when I try to install the first GB file, I get this ...

assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/Maps.apk", "8f62cbe941a6353f2b32840bb68ad3ba977eaf80", "37387bf80004399daf067050925f1c65dc71d3")
E:Error in /sdcard/teamblackhat/DroidProGB_4.5.1-110_part1.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I am running rooted Froyo 3.8.7 and have not frozen or deleted any apps??

Did I waste my money? If I have to SBF, do I lose everything? Is that what I would have to do?

Thanks in advance!

Robert C.

Appleman1969

Reaction score
Has anyone else had the same problem as me? ;-)

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

Appleman1969

Reaction score
I used A Root to root the OTA 3.8.7 upgrade.

Hopefully somebody has some suggestions or ideas because I would really like to upgrade to a rooted GB Pro. I thought at first it was a corrupted zip so I downloaded the file again and got the same error.

If this isn't the correct forum for this issue, I apologize and wouldn't mind if someone pointed me to the correct one.

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

StingRay

Reaction score

this prompted a reboot

rebooted.

I purchased the TBH app and the Bootstrap app, downloaded the GB files and when I try to install the first GB file, I get this ...

assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/Maps.apk", "8f62cbe941a6353f2b32840bb68ad3ba977eaf80", "37387bf80004399daf067050925f1c65dc71d3")
E:Error in /sdcard/teamblackhat/DroidProGB_4.5.1-110_part1.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I am running rooted Froyo 3.8.7 and have not frozen or deleted any apps??

Did I waste my money? If I have to SBF, do I lose everything? Is that what I would have to do?

Thanks in advance!

Robert C.

I got a similar error the first time I tried installing the rooted GB files...my error called out an issue with the music.apk rather than maps.apk...my problem was that I had renamed the stock music app to a .bak file so that I could use the new Google music app that came out...as soon as I renamed and restored the music app the rooted GB files loaded fine...

There must be something going on with the maps.apk file on your Pro...my suggestion is to go to the Android Market and go to "My Apps" and tell it to uninstall updates on Google Maps then try your GB install again...it is possible that a newer version of Google Maps is causing your problem, so hopefully this will work...

Good luck!