Getting SO frustrated with Drops

Vent away. I am about to return this for an iPhone. It's an absolute joke to pay $300 for a phone and not have data. My old blackberry always had data and the razr fails. My wifes OG has data but not the great razr.
Their 4g map is an out right lie. I can't even consistently get 3G let alone 4.

Ok, I thought that would make me feel better but not much. Still with a phone with no data connection.

I really don't get when people say, "I'm tired of these data drops; I'm going with the iPhone." Just run your RAZR in 3G only; you'll still have the option for 4G if you ever want to (or if Verizon ever gets their network sorted). Why would you not even want the option?

That would be like having an early HDTV that would sometimes freeze up after playing a bluray (not during) requiring you to restart the TV, but it worked fine in non-HD mode. Your solution? Buy a non-HDTV. Seriously? Why get rid of the option?

Sliced from my RAZR

I really don't get when people say, "I'm tired of these data drops; I'm going with the iPhone." Just run your RAZR in 3G only; you'll still have the option for 4G if you ever want to (or if Verizon ever gets their network sorted). Why would you not even want the option?

That would be like having an early HDTV that would sometimes freeze up after playing a bluray (not during) requiring you to restart the TV, but it worked fine in non-HD mode. Your solution? Buy a non-HDTV. Seriously? Why get rid of the option?

Sliced from my RAZR

Read my post please.
I don't even get 3g most of the time. I've consistently only been in cdma mode and only have data 50% of time where my old bb always had it and my wife's OG continues to be fine.
I've tried switching to cdma/lte with same results.

Do you understand now?
Guess your analogy doesn't work...

This is just a question.How many who have this issue of dropping all data are using smart actions to turn off their
cellular data? Thee reason i ask is i also was experiencing this so i did a reset and had 3g all the time untill i used
the smart actions and then for some reason when my screen would wake 3g would not kick back on.So i
did another reset and do not use smart actions and i have 3g all the time.just wondering

1) Verizon location app
2) settings/data manager/data enabled checked (known to uncheck itself. Why/how I dunno.
3) clean update to .748
4) wait for Verizon to create a GOOD 4G network.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Leaving your phone in 3G doesn't always work and isn't the solution to begin with. I had to go to Airplane mode and back again to have my data start working again I find this unacceptable, as do many others. There is a reason the iPhone is the #1 selling smartphone on all the U.S. carriers that offer it.....

what download speeds are you getting in the greater pittsburgh area? I live in altoona east of pburgh and the 4g sucks here. I honestly dont think its the phone,its verizon claiming the network is better than it really is. Having said that it does suck to have a great phone that just doesnt live up to its full potential.

I am by Washington PA about 20 miles south of Pittsburgh. I regularly get low to mid 20's down. I travel allot and the best I seen on my bionic was in the Chicago area where I always got in the 30's I think my best was like 37mbps. I have had a couple tests come out in the low 30's in Pittsburgh but that hasn't been the norm. It works great when its working.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I have the LG Revolution and I get dropped data a lot even in CDMA only.Every 4g phone verizon has put out no matter what brand it still has dropped data issues especially when using 4g hotspot.None of the 3g phones are having this problem so it's either Verizons network or all of the Cdma/gsm4g radios just don't work together seamlessly.Am up for upgrade but hate paying $300 for a phone that has had the same problem as the first 4g phones. Let's stop concentrating on getting out a phone with faster processors more memory and big screen and everybody focus on this dang problem that's plaguing these 4g phones then focus on improving hardware specs. What good is it to have the fastest phone in the world if it is just a data paperweight?

From what I've been hearing, it's the authentication servers that are causing this issue. That's why when you lose 4G you also aren't able to switch to 3G immediately. This seems to be happening in certain cell areas and not others, which may mean it's an easy fix once Verizon pin points the specific cells that are having the issue. The problem is, who knows if the servers can just be updated to correct the authentication errors that are sent out to the phones.

A simpler way of looking at it is, your phone has to be given permission to access data from a cell area, if your authentication fails because their servers are buggy, you're denied data access to Verizon's towers.

This problem will come to light once Verizon stops blaming phones and starts taking the blame, sadly that might be a while.

This is just a question.How many who have this issue of dropping all data are using smart actions to turn off their
cellular data? Thee reason i ask is i also was experiencing this so i did a reset and had 3g all the time untill i used
the smart actions and then for some reason when my screen would wake 3g would not kick back on.So i
did another reset and do not use smart actions and i have 3g all the time.just wondering

You might be on to something. I tried this early today and signal has been much better. Too early to tell but thanks for the tip!

You might be on to something. I tried this early today and signal has been much better. Too early to tell but thanks for the tip!

I too noticed Smart Actions makes the issue worse, but I believe the reason for this is related to what Liderc is referring too. Using SmartActions set to disable cell data usually has the phone disconnect and reconnect to the network often, instead of only when the phone is rebooted or airplane mode toggled. This also supports the idea that the issue is with authentication. If this is the case, referring to these issues as data drops is misleading, since the issue isn't dropping (which can happen due to many reasons) but reconnecting to the network.

Those who don't use smartactions might drive/walk through an area that doesn't have a strong signal (elevators, basements etc.) and then when they return to where the network can reach, they are unable to reconnect to the network due to these authentication issues.

The more I learn about this issue, the more it sounds like authentication issues on Verizon's end.

I think the issue with Smart Actions is separate. I tried that for about a week, a few weeks back and I noticed that it took forever for it to turn the Data back on when I left my house. I quit using that and instead tried Wifi Auto to just turn my wifi on when I get home and it does work. But even without the smart action, I am still losing my 4G signal for fairly long periods of time when I leave my house. And the most frustrating thing is that it won't give me 3G when this occurs either. I tried CDMA only with 3G yesterday when I left home and I did maintain my signal the entire time. So this does help, but it sure defeats the purpose of why I replaced my X2 for a 4G RAZR.

Same here man my a wife's razor will have data and my razr will not have data it's so frustrating I notice the lack of data when i'm traveling streaming music. My data at home never drops. Im trading for the nexus it will be here tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Bye bye razr

Drops are hurting my business. Need a phone that is not on a beta network. My worst experience ever with Verizon. Does anyone really understand the problem?

^Its not the Razr its the network, even my friend with the Tbolt has had the same issues. I believe some kind of compensation by Verizon is in order. But of course none will be offered.

Back