Galaxy Nexus' true reception

Nealius

Reaction score
Both phone have lte off
I tried to run speed tests but side by side I can not hit the same server.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

ænyoc

Reaction score
You can select which server. Tools at the bottom, then change server at the top.

lazarus2297

Reaction score
Nexus is the first phone to show 4g reception. All other phones only show 3g. So you're comparing apples to oranges.

I don't know how sensorly responds on the bionic I do know that on the Nexus it does show both 4G and 3G readings properly..

if you compare the 3G on the Bionic and the Nexus the Bionic will be stronger...

as for the -34 reading... something is waaaayy wrong... there is no way you are getting a true -34dBm in signal

sb1831

Reaction score
Just d/l'd sensorly on my phone and my daughters razor.

I was happy with my -90 until I checked her phone -34

So how is my nexus only showing a low reading? I think its more than just an issue of showing lower bars.

i think you read that wrong. You wouldn't get that number sitting on top of a tower. -50 depending on the handset will be the best you can get.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
If her phone is getting a -34 I would get out of that area as soon as possible so you don't die of radiation poisoning because that number's not possible even if you hold the phone to a tower.

Just d/l'd sensorly on my phone and my daughters razor.

I was happy with my -90 until I checked her phone -34

So how is my nexus only showing a low reading? I think its more than just an issue of showing lower bars.

orion2001

Reaction score
It seems like the GNex is getting a bad rep for having terrible reception. I see so many people in the GN forums complaining that they "don't got no bars". Also there is a plethora of nexus bashing in the RAZR and rezound forums. Now I understand that some people just get bad phones...it happens. And yes, there is a know 3G/4G hand off issue that plagues all 4G LTE devices (as I understand it). However, in my personal experience, I get better reception (voice AND data) than both my D1 and D2. I am sitting here now in my room with zero bars, and I have absolutely no problems connecting to the internet. With my D1 and D2, I had to sit at the edge of my bed with my phone over my left knee to get internet (1 bar). I think too many people are blowing the whistle on this device without ACTUALLY testing it. Again, let me reiterate, I realize there are some people who actually DO have problem phones. But does anyone share the same experience as me? My reception may not LOOK good, but as long as it acts good I don't care.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

So far, my GN has had similar if not slightly better 3G reception in comparison to my OG. However, it is pretty much a fact that the Rezound has much better reception than the GN. I've tested multiple GNs and Rezounds side by side, using the same servers on speedtest.net, and the Rezound is consistently faster than the GN in areas that don't have 3-4 bars of 4G coverage.

I think the problem is that a lot of people are going by the bars, which I think is a mistake due to the difference in how the GN reports reception. However, there are also a lot of people who have real issues where they get much worse reception than their older phones or spouses phones in the same areas.

I certainly wouldn't rate the GN radios as great. When my wife's Rezound can pull 14-15mbps while I can get 6-7Mbps on my GN, it does feel kinda sucky. And I've tested store GNs vs Rezounds and Razrs, and in all cases the GN 4G speeds seemed to be a little on the low side.

Beyond 6-7 Mbps, I don't care too much though, so it isn't a huge deal for me.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
We also have to remember that ICS is yet to be updated nor have our radios. I'm not saying we'll see a jump in speeds, but it's highly possible considering the Thunderbolt's speed increased so much after it's radio update.

Nealius

Reaction score
I I will redo the test tomorrow and also do the speed test to compare the razr and the nexus side by side

mears

Reaction score
Hands down, my OG gets better 3G reception than my GNex. I work in a building with shielding and there only a few spots in the building where signals seep through. So far, GNex is only able to connect in 1 of the 4 known hotspots that my OG could connect to. I frequent these places daily, so it's not a one-time thing.

lazarus2297

Reaction score
OK just wondering has anyone seen there gnex go below -75dBm it seems almost like the software won't read lower than that because.. my OG was at -58 this morning (gas station next to a vzw tower) my nexus was still reading -75 and although my og does pick up better... I would think the nexus would be closer than that so close to a tower..
I am not knocking the nexiis with this post just wondering if anyone has seen lower (well technically higher) numbers than -75..

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK just wondering has anyone seen there gnex go below -75dBm it seems almost like the software won't read lower than that because.. my OG was at -58 this morning (gas station next to a vzw tower) my nexus was still reading -75 and although my og does pick up better... I would think the nexus would be closer than that so close to a tower..
I am not knocking the nexiis with this post just wondering if anyone has seen lower (well technically higher) numbers than -75..

Just barely heh:

View attachment 45690

slider112

Reaction score

Yes indeed, quite often :biggrin:

View attachment 45705View attachment 45706

Since day one I have always gotten great reception with my GNex DancingNexus