Galaxy Nexus' true reception

hydro556

Reaction score
Well, I didn't start this thread to argue with anyone. As I said, I know people have had problems. I'm not denying that anyone has. It was my understanding that the problem lies in the method Samsung uses to calculate signal strength, whereby nullifying any comparison to other devices. If this is the case, then there are numerous people who have returned a device based on a "false" reading. I was curious as to how many people actually TESTED their phones by using data and making calls in areas that would typically be troublesome with other devices. That was the entire point of this thread. I get better signal strength in those areas, so I can't get Samsung and Google to address an issue that I do not have.

I understand what you are saying. And thanks, I dont want to argue either.

I am just a little disappointed in a few aspects of what is an otherwise great phone. And I hope the issues are software related and can/will be promptly addressed in an OTA. Because I seriously want to keep this phone, and need to see a fix before the 15th.

There is a ton of upside to this device, and while no device will ever be perfect, a comprehensive OTA, if possible, could make this device pretty damn close to perfection.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I just want to add that I usually sit at 1 bar of 4g (I usually don't get higher than -90 dbm), but I've hit 30mbps. I'll post a screenshot in a bit.
This reminds me, I've noticed that I get different reading with LTE turned off...CDMA only being the better reading obviously. So if the signal strength reading in the setting are actually the correct reading, I hope people are comparing 4G-to-4G or 3G-to-3G.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying. And thanks, I dont want to argue either.

I am just a little disappointed in a few aspects of what is an otherwise great phone. And I hope the issues are software related and can/will be promptly addressed in an OTA. Because I seriously want to keep this phone, and need to see a fix before the 15th.

There is a ton of upside to this device, and while no device will ever be perfect, a comprehensive OTA, if possible, could make this device pretty damn close to perfection.
Understandable. If I was having the same issues, I'd be pretty upset too. A $300 paperweight is...ridiculous. Unfortunately, I don't think any company would get a fix out before a return deadline. I don't see that happening, but maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This reminds me, I've noticed that I get different reading with LTE turned off...CDMA only being the better reading obviously. So if the signal strength reading in the setting are actually the correct reading, I hope people are comparing 4G-to-4G or 3G-to-3G.

They aren't. The Nexus is the first phone to show an LTE signal dBm. That's been the whole point people are missing, that comparing one dBm to another is pointless because there hasn't been another phone that's showed the LTE signal yet.

hydro556

Reaction score
Understandable. If I was having the same issues, I'd be pretty upset too. A $300 paperweight is...ridiculous. Unfortunately, I don't think any company would get a fix out before a return deadline. I don't see that happening, but maybe they'll prove me wrong.

I am hoping Google/Samsung will prove us wrong and address things very quickly, since this is a Nexus.

Also, the phone, even as it is working now, is far more than a paperweight. It functions well in almost all regards. I can send/receive calls almost 100%, albeit with occasionally less quality than my DInc. Data is pretty good, if maybe not quite as consistent as calls.

The other issue is the speaker. I really hope that can fix that, as I occasionally dont hear it ring and miss calls.

Overall, I love the phone, and it is right on the edge of being legendary in my view. Just a couple issues, that are very important to me. And, yes, if it was a $99 device, I would be ashamed to nit pick a couple issues, even if they were significant to me. A flagship device must be held to the highest standards by all of us, in my opinion, if we hope to get good value.

doublea500

Reaction score
Didn't they say that its not a reception issue but the indicator shows the wrong amount of bars. Cause to be honest I'm not understanding these reception issues. The only issue I have with my phone is it takes 3 hours to charge. And if I take it off the charger early it loses a lot of battery in a short time.

My complains end there though. GPS has been great (better than tb). Reception no problem. Best display on the market by far. Smooth. It has a million options. Its a nexus! Can't emphasize how great it feels to finally say I own a true android.

This phone is the best all around phone in the market. Just because of the fact that its a nexus we will get all updates before anybody else will.

i havent read every post in the topic but heres what i think.

whether or not the nexus shows the correct amount of bars or dbs, its still slower then others in speed tests. showing the wrong amount of bars is not the reason why my phone is dropping to 3g or no data whatsoever.

alboboy10

Reaction score
They did, but it seems like some people just blow that off.

The battery issue you're having...Ive had that with literally every phone Ive owned, even non-smart phones. I figured it was just the nature of lithium-ion batteries. The battery indicator gives false readings if removed from the charger before a complete charge, but eventually equalizes to the true reading in a few minutes. This has happened on dozens of phones over the years.

Takes a long time to charge though. Really long!

alboboy10

Reaction score
i havent read every post in the topic but heres what i think.

whether or not the nexus shows the correct amount of bars or dbs, its still slower then others in speed tests. showing the wrong amount of bars is not the reason why my phone is dropping to 3g or no data whatsoever.

Mine doesn't do that. My tb used to sometimes.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
They aren't. The Nexus is the first phone to show an LTE signal dBm. That's been the whole point people are missing, that comparing one dBm to another is pointless because there hasn't been another phone that's showed the LTE signal yet.
Well that would certainly explain a lot

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's weird.

I have a hard time getting a signal for internet which I believe can be fixed with an update. However I get far better voice reception than any phone I've ever had.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I can't really comment on that as I simply charge mine over night lol Its rare that I actually have to charge a phone during the day, and when I do its actually typically NOT a full charge.

AdamDX

Reaction score
I have had a bionic. Always had 4 bars 4g at my house. I get the nexus. Always have 4 bars 4g at home. Speedtest.net app I got 30mbps regularly on my bionic, on the nexus I get 30mbps regularly. Both phone are monsters wish I could afford to use both but sold bionic bought nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Are you using a PC/usb charger? Could explain the slow charging as it's been found that the Nexus takes around 23% longer to charge from 0 to 100% compared to using the wall charger.

lazarus2297

Reaction score
I have created a couple of threads with similar topics and I have done lots of comparing (and I have been comparing 3g to 3g so I can compare apples to apples)

I have to come to the conclusion that its not that the Nexus CAN'T get a good signal its just that it (mine) doesn't keep the signal as consistent as my other phones do.. it will fluctuate quite drastically in the same area while it is sitting still.. Mine will fluctuate as much as 10dBm either way where my other comparison phones really do a better job of maintaining that good signal..

Since the phone has the ability to get a good signal maybe software updates to the radio will allow it be more consistent..

Here is one of the problems that I see is that the signal bars reflect the 4g signal which isn't always the same as the 3g/voice signal strength so you could have bad 4g coverage but since voice calls don't utilize 4g you might think that you cant make calls which may or not be the case..

I downloaded an app called CDMA field test and since it doesn't support 4g you can open it and compare your 4g signal (in the about phone menu) and the 3g/voice signal. I had a couple of times that the 4g was in the -90s and the 3g was in the -70s, but the signal bars were low b/c they were reflecting the 4g data connection.

I think if vzw/samsung/Google change the signal bars it will be so they reflect the 3g voice signal instead of the 4g data connection since it makes sense to display the phones ability to make a call as much that is becoming a secondary feature with smartphones. :)

And I am not comparing signal bars

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums