Funny thing is happening... Droid, Nexus One, And Me

xythil

Reaction score
So this will be kind of long but ...

I came by here 3 days ago trying to figure out if the droid was a good buy. A couple posters here convinced me to give it a try. I was informed Verizon had a 30 day no questions asked return policy so I had nothing to lose.

So I picked one up. At first I was dissapointed. The menus and the browsers especially felt very lagged when compared to my ipod touchs browser and menus. They felt like they had a sense of friction to them, instead of being immediately effected by my touches... they just kinda lagged a bit and felt more jerky than the ultra snappy/smooth ipod touch.
"
To make matters worse the physical keyboard felt useless to me and the phone itself felt bulky. Although I have to say the design never bothered me much, it just looked more industrial than metro which isn't necessarily a horrible thing in my book.

Well the next day a storm hit NYC and I lost my internet. Thankfully I had my rooted droid with wifi tether and I was saved a huge headache. I think this was the first time I truly appreciated my droid. In fact my phone lines are STILL down. I am currently on my tether as I type this. It is utterly amazing.

I still feel the browser is lagged, even xscope. However I do notice the AMAZING different in screen realestate from my ipod touch.

The phone still feels a bit bulky to me but the physical keyboard is actually growing on me. I switch between it and the virtual one and honestly can't decide which I am fast on. The top row however is still ridiculously awful and cramped!

So here is my dilema... the Droid has grown on me. Like at first I was completely underwhelmed by this device but now I have a sort of attachment to it.

I know Nexus One runs the same OS and can be rooted and run wifitether and all that good stuff.. and it is suppose to be lighter and sleeker which does intrigue me. I think I might prefer it but like I said I might end up wishing I had kept my droid.

So I am posting this to:

1) To thank everyone who helped me get this device, and helped me through all my problems with rooting (though I still need to figure out which ROM i want to run and which kernal and also how to overclock)

2) Ask for some input. Basically if I return this and wait a few days I can get the Nexus One without paying the restocking fee as I understand the policy.

However I got this phone at a 1 year rate. The guy at the store cut me a break because I had JUST gotten a new phone in October. I am not sure if I would be able to get the same deal on the Nexus One... though I assume if i pressed hard enough I could. Or maybe it would just transfer over to any new phone I bought.

Additional questions

a) I have heard some bad things about nexus one and some glowing things. Apparently its much quicker? Not sure if this will make the browsing environment more snappy? Then again you can overclock the driod so ... How much does this actually improve performance for basic functions? Opening apps/browsing ect..?

b) I LOVE the gorilla glass on this device... it is AMAZING. I am not even going to use screen protectors. Is the Nexus One employing such a scratch resistance screen?

c) How are peoples keyboard hinges holding up? I fear they could become a problem.

Any input would be great thanks again guys. This really is the best community I've discovered in a long time.

Last edited:

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
if you run a custom ROM that is overclocked, you will be FLYING!

happy that you're happy with your purchase :)

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score

Any setup you would suggest?

I still don't quite understand overclocking or how to install kernals. Basically I am running DroidMod and I could use Nandroid Backup to go to another ROM, but that is about as far as my expertise goes.

I am sticking with droidmod because when I installed ultimate7 I couldn't figure out how to get Wifi Tether back

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would either exchange it for a Nexus One when it gets released on Verizon OR root your Droid, install a ROM such as Ultimate Droid, and overclock it. I use the Ultimate Droid ROM and am overclocked to 1.2ghz. There is now zero lag to speak of and I can customize everything to my liking. If you don't plan on using the keyboard, you might as well get the Nexus. I like the keyboard for typing and for games, so I decided to stick with the Droid. Ultimate Droid 7.8 was just released and wif tethering works right out of the box. You would just need to do a factory wipe in recovery and a nandroid restore with UD 7.8. Then you'll be overclocked, have wifi tethering, all running on the most recent leaked version of 2.1 for the Droid.

labphoto

Reaction score
So this will be kind of long but ...

However I got this phone at a 1 year rate. The guy at the store cut me a break because I had JUST gotten a new phone in October. I am not sure if I would be able to get the same deal on the Nexus One... though I assume if i pressed hard enough I could. Or maybe it would just transfer over to any new phone I bought.

When the Nexus One is released to Verizon, ALL purchases will be via the Google website. Hence you will probably not get a deal like you did with the Droid.

Last edited:

solorca

Reaction score

Any setup you would suggest?

I still don't quite understand overclocking or how to install kernals. Basically I am running DroidMod and I could use Nandroid Backup to go to another ROM, but that is about as far as my expertise goes.

I am sticking with droidmod because when I installed ultimate7 I couldn't figure out how to get Wifi Tether back

I may be wrong about this, but I don't think you need to install a kernel with Droidmod. Just download SetCPU off of the market and set it to anything you like (I personally keep my phone at 1ghz).

The difference between the stock setting and 1ghz is amazing.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I realize it is "conventional wisdom" that the Nexus One will be available in about a week on Verizon. However, it should be noted that as far as I know the launch date is still strictly a rumor and the only "confirmed" date is "in the spring."

In that context, the firm date for the release of the Devour on VZW has been March 15. Checked a few minutes ago and it is still listed as "coming soon."

So for those who are expecting to exchange their droids within the 30 day return and pick up a Nexus One, I'd be cautious.

johall07

Reaction score
just so you know the nexus one has some issues with the touch screen there are videos of it but i dont have enough time to find one now ill update later

droid d'oh

Reaction score
The Nexus One has the droid on two things

1. Faster Processor, 1ghz > Droids 600 Mhz
2. It's pretty.

The Droid Has the Nexus One on Several things

1. Indestructable (well, it's built really good)
2. HUGE development base: over 5 custom roms that I can name and counting
3. The hardware keyboard trumps the on screen keyboard: Using outside in the bright sun, raining.
4. Better Multitouch sensor. [video=youtube;qzhUzq6bTPg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzhUzq6bTPg]YouTube - Motorola Droid vs Nexus One: Multitouch Test[/video]

If I were in your position, I would recommend rooting your droid and installing any 2.1 (ESE53 build) rom or waiting fur the OTA Update. These roms will have most of the features which will be released in 2.1 and will VASTLY improve your user experience.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
Ok so is ultimate the way to go or is buglessbeast?

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Ultimate is my favorite so far, It uses the black theme which BB dropped a few releases ago in its standard package.

If I had to rate them It would be close, with Ultimate winning out in the end.

Bugless Beast - 96/100
Ultimate 7.8 - 99/100, 2 bonus points for the theme.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
Ultimate is my favorite so far, It uses the black theme which BB dropped a few releases ago in its standard package.

If I had to rate them It would be close, with Ultimate winning out in the end.

Bugless Beast - 96/100
Ultimate 7.8 - 99/100, 2 bonus points for the theme.

so wait 7.8 came with the kernal for overclcok? Or how do i install ikt?

bacalao

Reaction score
I'm glad you took the jump head first. A couple of days ago you seemed real indecisive. Ok let me explain the kernel thing to you.
1. Install a ROM. I suggest you try Simply Stunning by Chevyno1. He also makes really good kernals for overclocking (meaning he is a stud at this stuff). His ROMs are stable fast and have a simple theme which you can change later, easily. His latest ROM also comes with the overclock file.
Get a 2.1 ROM, and load it first before trying to put an overclock kernel. You will probably need to wipe your data and cache and do a nandroid install. For ex., save Chevy's SSv2.0.3 nandroid.zip to your computer, extract the contents into a folder and put that folder inside the 'nandroid' folder on your sd card. Go into SPRrecovery, wipe first, then advanced nandroid restore.
If you go with another ROM, You may download a kernel (most likely from Chevy) and copy it to your sd card, but not inside any folder (this is called the root directory). Rename it to "update" without the quotations of course. Reboot into that recovery mode, go to install, ALLOW update first, then update. This process is also the same for putting on some themes.

Now you have to get setcpu from the market (~$2). When you open, check always and allow. Then select autodetect (don't select droid, I know weird right). You should be able to just the cpu to run faster and set profiles for charging and other situations.

With all that running, and you still think its lagging, you are smoking crack or you need to just have my phone, its so smooth. Oh and btw, the SS ROM does have the wifi thing but just in case, do a backup of the tether app you have installed and restore it to the new ROM, its what I do.

Ok I KNOW you had people explain this like I did, I hope I'm the last person to refresh your memory!! Give it another shot and report back!