Nexus One Review slams Moto Droid... keeps iPhone 3Gs in good graces

qoncept

Reaction score
How does VZW reject a phone that was planned to be a unlocked phone?
That's what I don't get. What I heard was these were going to be straight up unlocked phones sold directly that took providers out of the equation. I thought that was the point, Google liberating the industry from the stupid exclusivity deals.

I imagine what happened is they realized that without the providers subsidizing the price of the device there was no way they'd sell enough. When Verizon wouldn't do it, building a CDMA device became a dead end.

ice456789

Reaction score
Call me the anti-fanboy, but we're talking about a phone. I got a droid. Hands down the best phone I've ever had by a mile. Not even a competition. But I fully expect something better to come out in 6 months because that's the way stuff works. It'll probably have a better processor, better screen, better battery, whatever. It'll improve on the Droid, because the Droid was out first. Just like IMO the Droid improved on the iPhone. And the Droid 2 will be better than the Nexus One.

If the Nexus One had been first to market, then the Droid would have been an improvement. But by the time the N1 is out there will be hundreds of thousands of people who have droids and love them, and use them on the best network in the country. What good is a 'faster phone' on a much degraded (borrowed) data network?

BzB

Reaction score
droid on droid envy. when will it end? can't we all just get along??? lol.

i do think some of these bloggers (not to be confused with real tech journalists) are attempting to drive a wedge in the android front. i've seen the same thing happen with blackberry devices with people breaking out in fights over which device is the best, even though they all the same core os and apps for the most part.

sure there are differences in hardware specs and what not, but in the end they all benefit from the strength of the platform. i don't buy into droid on droid poppycock some are trying to bubble up.

Terra

Reaction score
Something to keep in mind is that the Droid is not the end all be all of Android devices. I could care less if articles are bashing it now, because what is important to me is that I LOVE the droid and I'm completely satisfied with it despite the bugs it has here or there.

With that said I'm excited to see improvement with the Android OS. That means that in a couple of years (lets face it cell phones are dispensible items) when I'm ready to upgrade I'll have yet another badass phone. Moreover, I'm certain of a many things.

1. Android is the best OS.
2. Better phones than the Droid will come out as technology improves.
3. Better phones means a better overall experience for us, the consumer.
4. Motorola, has a good feel of what it takes to make an awesome phone
5. Motorola will continue to improve the design and functionality of their Android phones to stay in line with the competition.
6. In the future I will upgrade to the best Android device at the moment (realizing that it will be obsolete < 1yr) whether it be the Moto Droid 2 or other.

Happy holidays everyone.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
People...GSM phone.
1. Not coming to Verizon.

That right there lost interest for me....Can't see going back to tin cans and strings for a network....

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The Nexus will be T-Mobile's flagship phone...which unfortunately does not do much for our marketplace apps and games because we saw how well the G-1 did when it was exclusive.
this is the only thing I must disagree with....

The OS is what Google is going to TRY to use to breach Apples stronghold on the market. The hardware/device will only serve as the vehicle.

You can have the best hardware in the world but without a great OS it's meaningless.

When we get 2.1 the Droid will be a "brand new" phone again. It will bring it current so to speak. Not in a small incremental way neither (2.0.1)

The problem with other company's, RIM in particular, is they release the X model running 1.0 then a year later they release the Y model running 1.1.... 6 months later Z model is out running 1.1.1 it fragments the whole platform. who wants to develop for 100 different devices running 100 different OS's? Very few.

I think Google's plan is to send that message out thus the reason why they developed and worked closely with VZW/Moto and now the N1.

The N1 will do very well for T-Mo as the Droid has for VZW. They (google) are essentially taking control by the huge amount of support we are all about to see. Everyone benefits from the top on down to the end user.

2.x will be the unifying OS and we will all (Android users) reap the rewards.

Lord has it right Google wants to totally control the market. Some see it as a great thing some don't like the idea. Personally I like it because I don't mind reaping the rewards of updates/upgrades and a ton of support.

whigs

Reaction score
How does VZW reject a phone that was planned to be a unlocked phone?[/QUOTE said:
The information I've gotten is that it partly lies in the difference between CDMA (Verizon, Sprint) and GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile). While I've heard of people using unlocked phones on CDMA before, Verizon blocks certain phones from being activated.

Though, like always, I'm sure there's a work around in there somewhere.

MrBaz

Reaction score
I think it is funny how the tides have turned.

Instead of everything being compared to the iPhone 3gs, we are seeing more and more reviews comparing the new phones against the Moto Droid. This is just further proof that everyone is now afraid of the Droid. It goes to show that the iPhone is a thing of the past. Now the Droid is the thing to beat.

I think one thing to keep in mind is the service provider. Just because the iPhone is such a cool device doesn't mean that I should necessarily want it. ATT has the crappiest service of anyone. Why would I want a cool phone on a network that won't allow me to use the device to its full potential?

Same goes for the Nexus. T-Mobile has never been that great of a provider in the areas where I am. They mostly roam where ATT is. So if ATT has crappy service in your area, chances are T-Mobile will probably suck too. Why would I want to switch off of the nations greatest cell service for a device that only MIGHT be SLIGHTLY better than the Droid but run on a crappy network?

Last edited:

INFERNO

Reaction score
too bad t-mobile reception sucks....at least where i'm at. I got no signal at work and a few dropped calls. This is like iphone and att all over again.

Mojo

Reaction score
I think that it was a bias first look/review of the N1 compared to the Droid. But I do not care... My droid is great, its fast, it will get upgraded to 2.1. The Droids hard ware is no slouch. It will stand next to any phone we will see hit the market in the next year with out a doubt. Plus it is on Verizon's network. That alone makes it a far superior phone because its on a network that "does"!

bhall238

Reaction score
Terra, I couldn't agree more. Even the part about happy holidays to everyone :)

Nedaroth

Reaction score
Gismodo nuff said lmao

Google just gave Motorola (and Verizon) a swift shot to the TSTS, because the Nexus One is astonishingly faster than the Droid. The speed dominance was most evident when we compared the loading of webpages, but even when you're just scrolling around, launching apps and moving about the OS, you could tell that there's a beefier brain inside the N1. I don't know the specs for sure, but there's talk of a 1GHz processor being inside, which would push it quite a ways above the 550MHz Arm A8 in Motorola's newest toy.

Gismodo have been ripping the droid from the get go, this fool doesn't even have all the facts on the N1 yet but posted this BS anyways.

I already posted the link to the full and final specs as well as the carrier and the Jan date of release for the N1 on our forum this morning. Now look at the time when this idiot posted his review.

His clear intent was not to review the N1 but to smear the droid, what axe does he have to grind?

jcrusor

Reaction score
I personally give no credit to this article. The Droid has been out only two months and is not anywhere near its potential as long as Motorola dosen't screw us over. I will admit, I am a bit jealous of the AMOLED screen but the fact that it is on T-Mobile is a game killer for me. If it does have a 1GHz processor what would anyone possibly do with it. The droid has a 550 MHz processor and it appears to be more than enough for right now. In the end Google will likely push this phone hard but they know they can not push aside their other customer base.

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
this nexus thing looks damn ugly and no hardware keyboard. bah really UGLY thing. i dont like it. and mhz is not the only main thing on a cpu. it depends most on the architectur of itself. somewhere i read a comparison between snapdragon and ti3430. the 3430 is much better in terms of gaming, because it haves a lot better gpu (power vr sgx 530 which is comparable to the power of first xbox generation).

no thanx google. or should i say HTC cause htc build this ugly thingy for google. ill stay with the milestone. cant wait to get one. at the beginning of next year i finally will get one :).

darreno1

Reaction score
I only become interested in other phones when the one I have isn't living up to the hype. It happened to me with the Pre. It was just not up to snuff in terms of speed and features and there clearly where better phones out there. This pushed me towards the Droid.

Now, with the Droid being so responsive, feature rich and getting ready to have an even faster OS, I could care less about the Nexus One. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like it to succeed, I definitely want it to. But I wouldn't get rid of my Droid for it, no way, even if it came to Verizon. No reason to. Motorola hit a home run with the Droid.

As for this Gizmodo piece? I've read their other stuff and IMO, they're clearly amateurs. Anybody with half a brain would know if you're going to compare hardware head to head, you should run the same OS on both devices. Given the specs the Nexus One should be faster than the Droid, but not having the same base OS puts any perceived differences into question.

Last edited: