Nexus One Review slams Moto Droid... keeps iPhone 3Gs in good graces

LordKastle

Reaction score
Yanks....HTC would have to purchase the rights to the phone from Google. This is not an HTC device. Do you call the iPhone a Foxconn phone? Foxconn also produces the certain Palm phones. Does that mean Foxconn can sell Palm the iPhone blueprint? Nope.

I think you are mistaken. HTC does not own the rights to the Nexus/Google phone. Why would Google harm their own sales so HTC can benefit? Common sense. Verizon will not be getting this phone.

Whatever the "Incredible" is..if it is even an Android device will be a prototypical HTC device with "Sense UI". It has nothing to do with the Nexus/Google phone.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kastle: how about this... HTC (who releases more phones than there are varieties of Heinz ketchup) will release a phone with a different design build, but with the same specs, and on VZs CDMA.

but now we're straying from the topic at hand, which was a blatantly biased review :icon_ devil:

papy72

Reaction score
Sorry for sounding ignorant, but why can't Google just make the phone with VZW bands and sell it themselves? Why do they need VZW's approval? Isn't that the nature of "unlocked" phones?

TekHawk

Reaction score
Yanks....HTC would have to purchase the rights to the phone from Google. This is not an HTC device. Do you call the iPhone a Foxconn phone? Foxconn also produces the certain Palm phones. Does that mean Foxconn can sell Palm the iPhone blueprint? Nope.

I think you are mistaken. HTC does not own the rights to the Nexus/Google phone. Why would Google harm their own sales so HTC can benefit? Common sense. Verizon will not be getting this phone.

your missing a big part to this LK the HTC phone they are talking about will be CDMA not a copy of the N1 there will be alot of changes to but they will run very much the spec hardware though I do not think it will be stripped of the HTC UI so that kinda kills it for me anyways

but that phone will be basicly the same phone for the most part

LordKastle

Reaction score
HTC will release a different phone with similar specs. Congradulations, you are a rocket scientist. HTC's phone will also be their own adaptation with "Sense UI" and everything else they produce.

Would HTC produce a phone with un-similar specs? When was the last time a technological company went backwards.

Do we call the Nexus an iPhone? Do we call the Droid an iPhone? Why would we call the Incredible the Nexus?

What happens in July when HTC or Samsung release another phone.. Do we call that the Incredible? Your logic is flawed.

Have you seen the lineup from HTC for 2010? They have legitimately about 100 phones being released.

Last edited:
OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
okay so the design will be different, but the phone will in essence be the same thing. i'm done here.

LordKastle

Reaction score
In essence?

Lets get this straight because you seem to be ignoring the white elephant in the room. HTC has about 100 phones being released this upcoming 2010. Are you going to call every future release "in essence" the same as a previous phone?

Are you going to call the Droid "in essence" the same as an iPhone because of similar processors? Are you going to call a Nexus "in esscence" the same as an iPhone or a Droid? You are making a comparison like its HTC's Hero to Eris...the problem is that the HERO/ERIS is produced and designed by the same company. You can't make the Eris/Hero comparison to Google-Nexus/HTC-Verizon.

HTC will produce their own phones like they always have. THEY ARE SEPARATE.

Every few months a phone gets released with tweaked specs. Does this make them identical? I don't know.. I think your logic is flawed.

Bottom line: There is only one Google Phone. That is called the Nexus. No release from HTC, Samsung, or Motorola will be "in essence" the same phone. If you want the Google Phone you will have to go to T-Mobile or use EDGE (not 3G) data speed on AT&T. You will not be getting it on Verizon from HTC, Samsung, or any other company.

But moving on..

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Interesting.....we'll have 2 NEW devices running the same OS and one kills the other?

That device better be able to open apps before you even touch it just by your intention then I'll say it's a Droid killer.

Droid schmoid...sounds like somebody has an axe to grind : )

blue rocket

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.grafixpressions.com
the review wasnt very fair... defintiely need to wait for 2.1 on the droid to compare speed.

Call me crazy, but I feel like it's a damn ugly phone. I hate the gunmetally color, it should be piano black. That trackball looks like it was just slapped on with no care for aesthetics. Overall the phone looks larger than it should be.

I also don't buy the crap with the screen...the droid's screen is absolutely beautiful...colors are not washed out at all, maybe they had a bad droid screen?

The camera lens also looks out of place and just slapped in there. The Nexus One looks like any other smartphone. I love the droid for being different yet classy at the same time. The iPhone's stye is nice...but getting very outdated, they need a change as well.

The only thing about the Nexus One phone that I would want is android 2.1.

qoncept

Reaction score
I don't understand what's so surprising about this. They're both running Android, and every one of the Nexus' specs is better. The most important, memory and CPU, by a very large margin. Expecting the Droid to perform as well is just plain silly. If you people are going to get this way every time a new flagship phone comes out... good luck surviving the next two years.

I also see no support for 3G on AT&T as an almost complete non-issue. Who would ever consider using AT&T for a phone that isn't exclusive?

For myself, it's Verizon or bust. I'd probably very seriously consider selling my Droid and paying retail for the Nexus if it was available on Verizon.

qoncept

Reaction score
I also don't buy the crap with the screen...the droid's screen is absolutely beautiful...colors are not washed out at all, maybe they had a bad droid screen?
Yeah, I don't really buy that either. It's possible the screen has higher contrast, but that doesn't necessarily mean better or worse. Whatever is closer to displaying colors the way they are intended is best.

Boosting contrast is a good way to fool people that don't have any useful knowledge in to thinking a display is better. Just like more bass makes people think a speaker is better.

blue rocket

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.grafixpressions.com
^ yup and is why best buy shows off all their TV's in nasty oversaturated "Vivid" mode... i prefer my TV's set up to NTSC standards. Displaying colors the way they are meant to be seen.

qoncept

Reaction score
^ yup and is why best buy shows off all their TV's in nasty oversaturated "Vivid" mode... i prefer my TV's set up to NTSC standards. Displaying colors the way they are meant to be seen.
Yep. My father in law used to sell TVs and said they'd play with the settings to make the highest profit margin TVs look the best. Trying to look at a display objectively in a store showroom is a waste of time.

LordKastle

Reaction score
I don't know where this attachment to the idea of the Google Phone and Verizon comes from. If Verizon rejected the Google Phone/Nexus during pre-production what makes people think that a company is mysteriously going to release a clone?

Foxconn produces iPhones for Apple. Does that mean Foxconn is going to release a clone to Palm so they can release an iPalm on Verizon's network?

People don't understand, what is important is that the core of Android devices stay strong. This means Nexus/Droid/and whatever else is released. The marketplace needs to compete with Apple's if you want developer support. The Nexus will be T-Mobile's flagship phone...which unfortunately does not do much for our marketplace apps and games because we saw how well the G-1 did when it was exclusive.

TekHawk

Reaction score
I don't know where this attachment to the idea of the Google Phone and Verizon comes from. If Verizon rejected the Google Phone/Nexus during pre-production what makes people think that a company is mysteriously going to release a clone?

Foxconn produces iPhones for Apple. Does that mean Foxconn is going to release a clone to Palm so they can release an iPalm on Verizon's network?

People don't understand, what is important is that the core of Android devices stay strong. This means Nexus/Droid/and whatever else is released. The marketplace needs to compete with Apple's if you want developer support. The Nexus will be T-Mobile's flagship phone...which unfortunately does not do much for our marketplace apps and games because we saw how well the G-1 did when it was exclusive.

How does VZW reject a phone that was planned to be a unlocked phone?