FRG22D - Swype Errors

mpax9

Reaction score
Was prompted this morning to update my phone (current build FRG22D), but now I can't get Swype to function. I went to send a text, and the Swype keyboard just beeped, and would not enter a word using the trace feature.

I've had this exact issue before (after previous OTA updates), and I would simply uninstall Swype, restart the phone, and redownload the APK from the beta email. Unfortunately, it's not working in this case. I've tried at least 5 times, but continue to get the message - "Bad download package, Swype is already installed" etc.

Anyone with the same issue/have a fix?

OP
M

mpax9

Reaction score
Yea - I've also done these exact steps in the past. But for some reason, they are not working with the new build.

ohioDroid

Reaction score
Even though it's in those steps, just for the sake of being double triple extra sure I'll specify that I had to go into Settings, Applications, and use Services and Manage Applications (running) and shut down basically anything that wasn't vital (Android System, Android x, Android y, etc. are ones I left alone)

I closed Skype, my email app, handcent, others, whatever I could.

When the Swype Installer has downloaded the actual Swype app, first the app is installed to the phone and then Swype Installer registers it online, and for some reason it likes to have a lot of memory available when it does this.

If you don't have that RAM available it will fail to register and instead say 'swype is already installed on the phone.'

OP
M

mpax9

Reaction score
Even though it's in those steps, just for the sake of being double triple extra sure I'll specify that I had to go into Settings, Applications, and use Services and Manage Applications (running) and shut down basically anything that wasn't vital (Android System, Android x, Android y, etc. are ones I left alone)

I closed Skype, my email app, handcent, others, whatever I could.

When the Swype Installer has downloaded the actual Swype app, first the app is installed to the phone and then Swype Installer registers it online, and for some reason it likes to have a lot of memory available when it does this.

If you don't have that RAM available it will fail to register and instead say 'swype is already installed on the phone.'

Spot on my friend! Thanks for the tip.