Framework help.. for theming it

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OK, just thought I would share this incase you run across it. Took me a little while to figure out so I thoguht I could save someone some frustration. I have only attempted to theme the stock deodexed ROM by Fabolous. It may be this way on others, dunno.

When you decompile the framework, I don't think something with our current tool set knows how to handle the new stuff so, it renames things it doesnt understand. THen when you recompile (and it will successfully) and install it completely messes stuff up. The issue I ran across was when theming the lockscreen images. While they are there in the drawable-xhpdi folder, they are not the ones you need. The ones you need are in a folder called drawable-xhdpi-v13. Problem is, that folder doesn't exist in the original uncompiled ROM. So, you have to rename it back to what it should be called which is drawable-sw600dp-hdpi.

Don't know if there are more but, just getting this out there for people trying to make themes.

Please feel free to share any other experiences or things you have learned in this thread about ICS quirks.

Thanks.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
THANK YOU FOR THIS!!! My lockscreen and settings are all effed up lol. I hadn't looked into why yet because i've been too busy and now i hope i won't have to! lolz. I figured i screwed up an xml in framework somewhere

I'm currently working on theming ARHD rom but am thinking about changing to Th3ory rom (I think that's wut it's called lol). if he doesn't update every damn day that is lol

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You don't like the 3 pane settings windows? lmao

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
hahahaha yep that's wut i'm talkin bout! it's ALMOST useable but uhhh Not lol

quinolin

Reaction score
OK, just thought I would share this incase you run across it. Took me a little while to figure out so I thoguht I could save someone some frustration. I have only attempted to theme the stock deodexed ROM by Fabolous. It may be this way on others, dunno.

When you decompile the framework, I don't think something with our current tool set knows how to handle the new stuff so, it renames things it doesnt understand. THen when you recompile (and it will successfully) and install it completely messes stuff up. The issue I ran across was when theming the lockscreen images. While they are there in the drawable-xhpdi folder, they are not the ones you need. The ones you need are in a folder called drawable-xhdpi-v13. Problem is, that folder doesn't exist in the original uncompiled ROM. So, you have to rename it back to what it should be called which is drawable-sw600dp-hdpi.

Don't know if there are more but, just getting this out there for people trying to make themes.

Please feel free to share any other experiences or things you have learned in this thread about ICS quirks.

Thanks.
Just curious: What tool are you using to decompile the framework? I used apktool to decompile framework-res of RootzBoat v6.1 and I am not seeing that v13-folder, I do have a drawable-sw600dp-xhdpi folder though.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
quin... can you recompile it or do you get multiple substitution errors?

quinolin

Reaction score
without making any changes, recompiling without errors.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ok so you are able to decompile and your folders remain named correctly? And recompile without error? lol.. ok I need YOUR apktool!

Mine worked a couple days ago but then it started keeping the correct name instead of changing it to that v13 I was telling you about. Once that happened, it wouldnt recompile anymore. So Im doing a major workaround over here involving apktool.jar 1.4.1, renaming folders, adding folders back in that were lost.. on and on... sucks... im still missing something too because settings is back to a 3 pane window. So i still have more to move over. Once I get it built up I wont have to do all that again though because in order to make something work it has to be decompiled and recompiled with the same apktool. So, once and done from then on.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ok, which sdk are you on? maybe I havent updated? I dunno..lol tried about everything i could think of.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
yep thats what im using.. lol Just ain't working for me :(

quinolin

Reaction score
and you are using apktool 1.4.3 ?? you mentioned 1.4.1 earlier, so just making sure ...

to be more specific: you are NOT using apk-manager or apk-multi-tool, right?

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
yeah i just stuck apktool.jar 1.4.3 in there and updated my sdk as of an hour ago. Still getting the multiple substitution issue. Its ok, the apktool.jar maker said it was an issue and it needed fixed.