Features, and Bug-Fixes, and Themes, OH MY! Sapphire - 0.8.4

jrod2183

Reaction score
Tanknspank - yes, you have it right. Create a plain text file, I copied and pasted the text from Se7enLC's post into it, saved it and removed the txt extension. I then copied it to my SD card and used root explorer to move it to system/etc/init.d (you will need to change the folder to read/write first by clicking the button at the top of root explorer). I then changed the permissions to user/group/others read and execute, noone write, to match the other files in the folder with root explorer and rebooted.
I'm sure it could be done with terminal, but I'm not sure what the numeric code for the permission change using chmod would be. Hope this helps.

what are you guys naming this file?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tanknspank - yes, you have it right. Create a plain text file, I copied and pasted the text from Se7enLC's post into it, saved it and removed the txt extension. I then copied it to my SD card and used root explorer to move it to system/etc/init.d (you will need to change the folder to read/write first by clicking the button at the top of root explorer). I then changed the permissions to user/group/others read and execute, noone write, to match the other files in the folder with root explorer and rebooted.
I'm sure it could be done with terminal, but I'm not sure what the numeric code for the permission change using chmod would be. Hope this helps.

what are you guys naming this file?

I never got it working, but that's not a big deal to me. Probably wouldn't help performance much anyway *shrugs*

wingdo

Reaction score
Never mind, totally misread the issue.

Last edited:

kevdog

Reaction score
#!/system/bin/sh
/system/xbin/compcache on

I don't know this ROM ran the kourne shell -- I thought it was bash!!! So #!/system/bin/bash????

Lastly the command to set the permissions is
chmod 555 90_compcache

I haven't looked at the init.d closely, but would this be better to run this at 99 (so its the last thing that starts) other than 90?? Just a thought. And shouldn't there technically be a corresponding kill file or stop file? This is just standard unix stuff I thought.

Reaction score
Running fantastic so far! Thank you!

Are there any plans to add the ability to move apps to ext? The froyo way is good and all, but I'm curious.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I don't know this ROM ran the kourne shell -- I thought it was bash!!! So #!/system/bin/bash????

/system/bin/sh is just the stock normal boring compatible-with-everything shell. It's what you use for simple scripts. The rom HAS bash, but it doesn't run by default for anything - you have to run it manually in terminal emulator.

I haven't looked at the init.d closely, but would this be better to run this at 99 (so its the last thing that starts) other than 90?? Just a thought. And shouldn't there technically be a corresponding kill file or stop file? This is just standard unix stuff I thought.

I took a look in init.d to see what was already in there before suggesting adding something. 99 was the "ready" script to indicate that it's done booting, so I didn't want to be after that. I could have gone with 98, but I figured it was better to leave some room for other stuff if you really wanted. You can pick whatever number you want to, but 90 made sense to me.

No need for a kill or stop file AFAIK - running "compcache on" just enables it - it doesn't have an executable that runs or anything I don't think. You can always type "compcache off" to turn it back off.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I know very little about 'nix but can a cron job start it at boot?

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know very little about 'nix but can a cron job start it at boot?

cron is more appropriate for scheduled run-time tasks, though it probably could suffice. But init.d is what should be used for starting something on boot.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
again, know very little so go easy on eme :)

I had the script installed
#!/system/bin/sh
and checked after reboot twice and both times it was not on.

did I miss something?
was I supposed to manually do a chmod on it? I got confused on last few posts.

10roller

Reaction score
great build!
i was under the impession that the GEM app was gonna have the ability to download future ROM updates, or did i fool myself into believing that?

ntrddragn

Reaction score
an update on my install. went from jrummy to this.
backed it up first ;)
I install sapphire over jrummy without wiping. Booted it up like a charm.
then I install the kernal P3 1.25 lv
then install market update
then i install launcherpro (from jrummy)..booted up like a charm.
went back into sprecovery
wipe cache
install OEM theme.
install blue glass theme. Booted up nicely.
adb push droid x boot animation.
everything is running nicely.
I changed the font color of blue glass since its all black and i cant see the clock and pull down notification window. all apps seems working,maps working,market is working,gps is working.

ps: i didnt install the market hack as i figure i dont need to fool the market into thinking im running 2.1.

Hope this help if someone has a question on what works on this ROM. :)

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
again, know very little so go easy on eme :)

I had the script installed
#!/system/bin/sh
and checked after reboot twice and both times it was not on.

did I miss something?
was I supposed to manually do a chmod on it? I got confused on last few posts.

yes, you have to chmod it. files under /system/etc/init.d won't be run at boot unless they have execute permissions

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
an update on my install. went from jrummy to this.
backed it up first ;)
I install sapphire over jrummy without wiping. Booted it up like a charm.
then I install the kernal P3 1.25 lv
then install market update
then i install launcherpro (from jrummy)..booted up like a charm.
went back into sprecovery
wipe cache
install OEM theme.
install blue glass theme. Booted up nicely.
adb push droid x boot animation.
everything is running nicely.
I changed the font color of blue glass since its all black and i cant see the clock and pull down notification window. all apps seems working,maps working,market is working,gps is working.

ps: i didnt install the market hack as i figure i dont need to fool the market into thinking im running 2.1.

Hope this help if someone has a question on what works on this ROM. :)

Glad everything went so smoothly for you!

BoddhiC

Reaction score
Just got back to the forum. I didn't mean to create a big issue with my question about compcache.

It is definitely working for me. Over several reboots, I have checked compcache stats and gotten stats for a running compcache.

To address a couple of the recent questions: I have the file named 90_compcache as per Se7enLC's original suggestion.

For those of you with problems, the main things I would check are to make sure that your file is in PLAIN text (not Rich Text or some other format), that it does not have any extension (such as .txt) and that the permissions are correct.

User, group and others need to have permission to execute and read the file. User, group and others should be set to not have permission to write the file for safety. I looked it up and kevdog is correct. To change the permissions from the terminal it would be:

su
chmod 555 /system/etc/init.d/90_compcache

the permissions should then be rx-rx-rx if you check.

Good luck!