Execution: Who has done it the best lately?

cp24eva

Reaction score
So we are at the strongest point of the 4G evolution as far as Verizon goes. There are a great deal of 4G phones to be had. Tons of great ideas, but each phone has their bugs. What company with a phone on the Verizon 4G lineup do you think has executed the best phone release out of the box? No updates, no quick fixes, just plain jane, just setup and go.

Then who has executed the best first OTA?

All opinions of course. There may not be any TRUE winner. And judging by the number of Nexus owners over any other phone I assume that the front runner could be the Nexus simply due to the ratio of owners:good experiences. And I'm not talking about a specs war. I'm talking about reliability, quality, and functionality. Not talking about best screen, fastest processor, or thinnest form. I'm talking about a phone that just worked for the most part.

t35rk

Reaction score
Rezound. End of discussion, lol, but curious why you would ask.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd have to give it to nexus for both, release and first update even though its not out yet officially. Phone was great on first day but after leaked update its just perfect.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My Rezound has just worked out of the box. Other than Big Red crashes, I've had 0 problems with connectivity. I've had 0 self reboots , freeze ups or other bugs. The one update I got, it went surprisingly smooth for a Verizonized update

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
I ask because so many phone companies have promised this that and the other, talking a big game, but then have lacked in various areas. Batter life, reception, smoothness of operation, call quality, etc. Sometimes I wonder if a company genuinely cares about providing people with a sound device that out of the box work close to perfect. Then whatever they put on the phone after that they are totally responsible for. Then the news that HTC and Motorola have pushed their ICS releases back. I'm all for providing people with the most perfect release of a new OS possible, but don't go making big statements like that when you probably know you can't follow through. people have held out on the Nexus because they though that another company's release of ICS was coming out soon. Wrong. So (not me in particular) people are a bit ticked when they have to wait longer to get some improved battery life, GPU offloading, a few new features, etc.

t35rk

Reaction score
I ask because so many phone companies have promised this that and the other, talking a big game, but then have lacked in various areas. Batter life, reception, smoothness of operation, call quality, etc. Sometimes I wonder if a company genuinely cares about providing people with a sound device that out of the box work close to perfect. Then whatever they put on the phone after that they are totally responsible for. Then the news that HTC and Motorola have pushed their ICS releases back. I'm all for providing people with the most perfect release of a new OS possible, but don't go making big statements like that when you probably know you can't follow through. people have held out on the Nexus because they though that another company's release of ICS was coming out soon. Wrong. So (not me in particular) people are a bit ticked when they have to wait longer to get some improved battery life, GPU offloading, a few new features, etc.

Thanks for answering.

Android isn't Apple, and not in a good way. Newly issued Android devices seem to be thrown against a wall to see which ones will stick. I too am frustrated when the Droid 4 comes out with an almost inexcusable screen, or the Spectrum with 4 gigs of internal memory and a sub par camera, or the Rezound with a lesser screen than a two year old Incredible. The list goes on. If Apple wasn't Apple, i'd make the switch.

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
Thanks for answering.

Android isn't Apple, and not in a good way. Newly issued Android devices seem to be thrown against a wall to see which ones will stick. I too am frustrated when the Droid 4 comes out with an almost inexcusable screen, or the Spectrum with 4 gigs of internal memory and a sub par camera, or the Rezound with a lesser screen than a two year old Incredible. The list goes on. If Apple wasn't Apple, i'd make the switch.

yup, now we have to wing up. I mean the phones are not horrible, but for the prices they charge.... yeah. I didn't get my money's worth. whether I pay the non contract price or 2 year price.... either way it is I feel slightly cheated.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I don't feel cheated. The fact that I can have a dual core pc in my pocket is pretty awesome! All of the mfg'rs had to do something to keep the price point down so that's my guess as to why there is no 'perfect' phone.

t35rk

Reaction score
yup, now we have to wing up. I mean the phones are not horrible, but for the prices they charge.... yeah. I didn't get my money's worth. whether I pay the non contract price or 2 year price.... either way it is I feel slightly cheated.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of the used market. I loved my used rooted Eris. I'm a fan of the Incredible 1 and Droid X. Big bang for the buck.

My car buying experience is like that too. I was stuck in the 80's until I recently bought a '95.

I'd prefer a cdma Nexus One.

SniperDroid

Reaction score
Sorry, I thought you were asking about a different kind of "Execution".... carry on.

t35rk

Reaction score
Sorry, I thought you were asking about a different kind of "Execution".... carry on.

Lol. Give your opinion anyway, even if it is the wrong forum please.

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
Eh, this ain't the same as having a dual core PC on a real computer. These phones couldn't run half of the things I run at home, but they are nifty. Lets see, 8 MP camera, low end computer, mobile phone, and entertainment center. Am missing anything?

Ok. so on when you combine all of these I'd say you get a great deal, but then I factor in reliability. Besides the computer, others things on their own would function correctly and fully 99.9 percent of the time (in my hands that is, i don't know what others do) With the things that pop up and slow down your smartphone goodness, I say I got cheated not because all of these things combined don't equal the actual price of the smartphone. I say i got cheated because the dudes in the dev shops at the major companies didn't go inside a cafe to check whether they got good reception or not. Or they didn't Try and switch from 3G to 4G and back to see if it worked smoothly. Or even further, check to see their own launchers functioned like intended.

Quality assurance is my main issue. Even apple does it. remember the whole iphone bumper cover up? I was apart of that fiasco, but I always bought a case and I am right handed. Not only do we pay for a cool device, but we want some reliability behind it too. who wants to buy the latest most expensive Ferrari if I have to take it to the shop all the time for doing what it's supposed to do...drive....and drive fast. I know it's not the same, but you get what I'm saying right?

t35rk

Reaction score
Eh, this ain't the same as having a dual core PC on a real computer. These phones couldn't run half of the things I run at home, but they are nifty. Lets see, 8 MP camera, low end computer, mobile phone, and entertainment center. Am missing anything?

Ok. so on when you combine all of these I'd say you get a great deal, but then I factor in reliability. Besides the computer, others things on their own would function correctly and fully 99.9 percent of the time (in my hands that is, i don't know what others do) With the things that pop up and slow down your smartphone goodness, I say I got cheated not because all of these things combined don't equal the actual price of the smartphone. I say i got cheated because the dudes in the dev shops at the major companies didn't go inside a cafe to check whether they got good reception or not. Or they didn't Try and switch from 3G to 4G and back to see if it worked smoothly. Or even further, check to see their own launchers functioned like intended.

Quality assurance is my main issue. Even apple does it. remember the whole iphone bumper cover up? I was apart of that fiasco, but I always bought a case and I am right handed. Not only do we pay for a cool device, but we want some reliability behind it too. who wants to buy the latest most expensive Ferrari if I have to take it to the shop all the time for doing what it's supposed to do...drive....and drive fast. I know it's not the same, but you get what I'm saying right?

I'm losing faith in the Google experience. Jelly Bean will follow Ice Cream Sandwich. Jelly Bean, really? I'm not 12.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I'm losing faith in the Google experience. Jelly Bean will follow Ice Cream Sandwich. Jelly Bean, really? I'm not 12.

ICS and Jelly Bean set you off but Eclair, Froyo and Gingerbread were ok?!