Eris issues/questions--help please

kmblygrn

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been on here off and on for days and I am about as confused as when I started. I am hoping you all can help as I find this board a great resource. I have had the Eris a few months. I really like it, much better than the Blackberry Storm I used to carry. There are some things I would like to change/improve and I am not sure if I will be able. Of course the first being battery life. I have been to the Verizon store and website to buy either a spare battery, a larger battery or another charger for the office there are none in stock. Can anyone suggest a site one might be available? I would like to stay with this phone, but I am really tired of lugging the cord everywhere and dealing with short battery life. I use my phone in the late afternoon for music to workout and unless I charge it at work it doesn't have enough power. I have researched different options/settings for preserving battery life and some I can do, some I don't want to do like turning off networks. I like to get things when they are sent b/c I do forget to turn it back on and then what is the point of the smartphone? Also, I am on the fence about the Task Killer. I had it in the beginning then read about it took it off and then put it back on. My question is, it seems things, like Amazon MP3 run without my knowledge if I don't end it with task killer. Don't these things affect my battery performance? Without task killer how do I know what is running and how to stop it if it is draining performance. I have done a factory reset a couple of times and I am runnning the latest software. Sorry to make this post so long. I appreciate all who read and offer advice/suggestions. I am with this phone for another 17 months and I really like it, but I do need it to be more manageable somehow.
Thanks, K

eriscrazy

Reaction score
the battery thing is not a issue there are plenty of sites that sell replacement batterys like this on Innocell 1750mAh Slim Extended Life Battery For use with HTC Droid Eris/Incredible that one is a extended battery if you use your phone a lot. they also offer a 3500 mAh battery is even bigger if you are on your phone non stop. a friend of mine has the 3500mAh battery and you about cant run it out in one day lol. lets just say pandora radio and navigation running for the better part of the day and it barely phased it.

eriscrazy

Reaction score
also i was a avid user of task killers for almost a year then i read a few things online and realized that the eris is very very very good at managing memory and i stopped using task killers. because the more you rely on task killers to kill apps yes it is freeing up memory at that moment BUT right after you kill most apps they start right back up and a app that is starting up uses more power then a app that is just running in the back ground. i have not used tas killers for almost 2 months now and i have not seen any dramatic diff in battery life. honestly i think my battery life is better sence i dont use tas killers. also something i found that helps in battery life is a app called Power Manager off the market, it is a paid app but also has a free version. the free one is really all you need but i bought it to support the dev... it is a awesome app for your battery life. and sorry for 2 posts lol

hope this helps...

OP
K

kmblygrn

Reaction score
Thank you for taking time to read and post. I am going to get one of those batteries, probably the 3500mAh, just to be on the safe side. I plan to check Power Manager as well. Like I said, I really, really like the phone and would be at a loss if I had to change as I don't know if I would be as happy with something else. What you have said makes sense about the task killer. Thanks again, hope you have a great day!

forgeurm

Reaction score
I have the 3500 battery and while it is VERY VERY hard to run it down it will die very quickly if you leave WiFi on and there is no signal. It sucks up power trying to find a signal and will kill the battery. I fully charged mine and I watched the entire Victoria Secret fashion show as well as a few episodes of CSI and I was only down to 89% after like 10 hourse of TV viewing.

OP
K

kmblygrn

Reaction score
That is great to know. Sometimes I watch TV while working out, but I only do that when I have charged it all day. I don't think I have ever used the Wifi options so don't think that will be an issue. Thanks for the reassurance!

eriscrazy

Reaction score
im sure if u pair that 3500mAh battery with that power manager app you will get great results.

glad i could help.