Eris Complaints?

atlDROIDfan

Reaction score
@Grimster. With all of your infinite wisdom and knowledge of all things Droid, please educate me about these products since I am so "uneducated."

I am unclear as to how my post regarding a customers complaint/concern about the HTC Eris renders me "clearly uneducated." I was simply expressing observations about the two devices in question. Every one on this forum is here to learn about these new products. But I suppose that, in your eyes, every one here is uneducated because they do not know what you know.

Instead of passing judgement, why dont you share what you know and educate all the "uneducated."

swaldrop

Reaction score
@Grimster. With all of your infinite wisdom and knowledge of all things Droid, please educate me about these products since I am so "uneducated."

I am unclear as to how my post regarding a customers complaint/concern about the HTC Eris renders me "clearly uneducated." I was simply expressing observations about the two devices in question. Every one on this forum is here to learn about these new products. But I suppose that, in your eyes, every one here is uneducated because they do not know what you know.

Instead of passing judgement, why dont you share what you know and educate all the "uneducated."

Everyone BUT Grimster is crystal clear on who in fact is uneducated, and it has nothing to do with one's knowledge of the Eris.

There is no debate here...

- If you want a faster phone with an unbeatable screen, newer OS and a hardware keyboard, go with the Moto.

- If you want a smaller, more svelte phone with a lower res screen and a dated OS (albeit fancier), go with the Eris.

There is no question where each one shines. Function is far more important to me than form ever is in nearly every situation. This is why I choose the Droid.

G

Grimster

The only issue is the Moto Droid does not excel at any of its features and is even subpar in its features. It even lacks very important feeatures that Things look GREAT on paper and on Verizon commercials...in reality things are very different.

Lack of pinch-to-zoom on the moto droid is very funny and its supposed to be a "flagship" product? lolz.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only issue is the Moto Droid does not excel at any of its features and is even subpar in its features. It even lacks very important feeatures that Things look GREAT on paper and on Verizon commercials...in reality things are very different.

Lack of pinch-to-zoom on the moto droid is very funny and its supposed to be a "flagship" product? lolz.

It doesn't excel :icon_eek:. It excels all day for me and many MANY others. Does what it says and more. Before you rant. I don't care about outlook. I love the browser too. I can't see a sub par feature. Are you sure you aren't talking about the Storm? Maybe the S2 or the Tour (trackball issues from day one). You are entitled to your opinioon though maybe you expected too much. I know 5 people who are now carrying Droids and all of them love em.

About the commercial. My nav app works exactly like the ad. I can play you tube (which I don;t like you tube but) and all. So again im not sure what you are referring to but I think you are just trying to start an argument. With that. I hope you have a nice day...

derpudel

Reaction score
I have no real complaints about my Eris. I looked at both the Motorola Droid and the Eris before deciding. In the end, it was the Sense UI and weight/size that swayed me to choose the Eris. The longer I use it, the more I like it!

xfeathersx

Reaction score
The $100 wasnt a factor to me, I bought the eris because of size, style, and l didn't want another box hanging from my waist. Have you time studied the droid over the eris, what were the results? The upgrade is coming December 11th and to be honest, I haven't had any issues with the eris. I've been using it entensively since I got it out of the box.
Don't get me wrong I like the droid as well, but I hear this and that about the eris and droid, well how about some facts, speed tests, something else to go on except its slow, so much faster than my blackberry, life is too short, speed isnt everything.

derpudel

Reaction score
Speed is fine for me on my Eris. Fast enough for anything I need.
Also love the pinch and zoom.

derpudel

Reaction score
Speed is fine for me on my Eris. Fast enough for anything I need.
Also love the pinch and zoom.

ecam

Reaction score
eris user

Battery drain is a problem, however I stay on it alot learning everything it will do.
Vibrate mode is weak when it's hanging on my belt. I can't feel it when I get a call. Previous phones were no problem.
However, all in all it is a great app phone! Feels better than the moto.

jjprusk

Reaction score

It doesn't excel :icon_eek:. It excels all day for me and many MANY others. Does what it says and more. Before you rant. I don't care about outlook. I love the browser too. I can't see a sub par feature. Are you sure you aren't talking about the Storm? Maybe the S2 or the Tour (trackball issues from day one). You are entitled to your opinioon though maybe you expected too much. I know 5 people who are now carrying Droids and all of them love em.

About the commercial. My nav app works exactly like the ad. I can play you tube (which I don;t like you tube but) and all. So again im not sure what you are referring to but I think you are just trying to start an argument. With that. I hope you have a nice day...

Wow - and they call iPhoine fanbois... The browser is clearly sub-par - apparently you haven't used a browser with multi-touch capability. The legacy "zoom" style navigation is inferior in every way. I like my Droid, but the browser is definitely sub-par. BTW - so is the email app - show me where from a single screen where I can move to folder? I still can't figure out how to do this...

3nd0Man

Reaction score
Hey all, thought I'd chime in with my first post. Registered just so I could give my two cents.
So far my wife and I are extremely happy with our Droid Eris phones. We love Sense UI and the customization that it brings to our phones (yes, we do enjoy some form over functionality). Yes, I wish there were turn by turn GPS directions, but hopefully that's coming soon.
There are a couple of things that I would change if I could, but overall I think that this is a great product. I have not encountered very bad slowdown on my phone mentioned by some posters. However, I am using TasKiller after opening a couple of apps, and I doubt that I push the phone as hard as some of the users out there.
Battery life is fairly good for us. Again, a caveat, we turn all but the mobile network off unless we need them (Bluetooth in the car, GPS when needed, WiFi at home), and we get a full day of use out of the phones with moderate usage.
I can't stand fanboy flame wars, so the best way to put the different choices in phones is this: The Droid and Droid Eris are different phones that fulfill the different needs of different personalities. You'll have people evangelizing one and slamming on the other when there really is no need to. The common thing we all share on this web forum is that we enjoy the Android OS (Sense UI or not) and we love what it represents over the tight control of the iPhone. Plus, the more units we can convince people to buy of these phones over the other brands of phones, the better developer and accessory support we will have. Go Android.

ColorNShape

Reaction score
Well, there is a perplexing T9 bug that nobody else seems to have noticed. When I activate the Google search with the dedicated magnifying glass button, the keypad comes up, but the T9 toggle is locked on multitap. That makes the magnifying glass button just about useless for me. There are many other instances when this bug occurs. I realize that many people prefer the qwerty keyboard, and while I find that absolutely baffling, I understand that people like different things. There are still people who like T9 because it's better suited for single hand users.

Is this bug simply an oversight by the programmers, omitted from the list of intended fixes we've all seen by now, but still to be fixed? Or is this a particularly flagrant gesture of contempt for their customers who want to use T9? I hope the latter is as ridiculous as it sounds and they fix this soon. I don't want to have to switch phones again.

Oh, other than that, the phone is really nice. Great hand feel, responsive interface. The browser works fine, but has trouble syncing the audio and video of YouTube videos.

The Gmail inbox is a mess, and the newest messages of a thread aren't at the top like they should be.

I've seen complaints about the bluetooth support, and I have noticed that when I use a bluetooth headset the phone blanks the screen as if it "thinks" I'm holding the phone to my ear. Embarrassing programming blunder, I'm sure. Hope they remember to fix that, too.

Speaking of calling, I'd like to see an option to set the keypad to be always on-screen when in-call. And it would be nice if the user could disable the microphone compressor, because it doesn't really work all that well in a noisy area.

Also, don't worry about the battery. These batteries were probably taken from discarded wristwatches circa 1972. It's a miracle they work at all. Soon HTC will announce "upgrade" batteries that will have long life and cost more than we paid for the phones. Just you wait.

Mostly, though, I really hope they fix that T9 mistake.

Matt

mattmne

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I registered just to give my take on the Eris. This is the first smartphone I've ever had and after having it for a few days I really enjoy it. The first day the Motorola Droid was available I went in store to see it, no real intention of buying, but anyways I was really disappointed with it. I thought it was ugly, clunky, keyboard felt terrible, and I didn't like the slide motion at all. The Eris was next to it and I was confused why it had a droid sticker since it obviously wasn't the motorola droid. I've since figured all that out and ended up buying an Eris.

I only have two complaints, one you guys have already discussed. The map/ clock&weather widget has no idea where I am. I'm going to try deleting and reinstalling like mentioned aboved, let everyone know how that works out.

Second complaint is my contact icons. They're really blurry. I tried alot of different things to try and fix it and through this I figured out that right after I set a contact icon for someone, if I call them it will look fine. If I were to call the same person five minutes later it looks blurry again. Has anybody noticed this and know a solution? Thanks.

3nd0Man

Reaction score
Second complaint is my contact icons. They're really blurry. I tried alot of different things to try and fix it and through this I figured out that right after I set a contact icon for someone, if I call them it will look fine. If I were to call the same person five minutes later it looks blurry again. Has anybody noticed this and know a solution? Thanks.
Yes, I've definitely noticed it and it drives me crazy. I've tried multiple ways of trying to add profile pictures, but the same thing happens over and over. There's an open ticket on the Google code Android project, but I don't know if it's a problem that is getting looked at since there's no activity on that ticket.
Maybe it'll be fixed in either the Dec 11th update or if/when the Eris gets 2.0.

mattmne

Reaction score
Yes, I've definitely noticed it and it drives me crazy. I've tried multiple ways of trying to add profile pictures, but the same thing happens over and over. There's an open ticket on the Google code Android project, but I don't know if it's a problem that is getting looked at since there's no activity on that ticket.
Maybe it'll be fixed in either the Dec 11th update or if/when the Eris gets 2.0.
Not that I'm happy this is a problem with the Eris, but I am happy it isnt just me. I searched google for awhile and wasn't coming up with anything so I thought maybe other people weren't having the same problem.

I figured out that the icons looked good for a lil bit after I added a contact icon that just happened to be a png. I thought the eris handled the pngs better so I went through and converted allll my icons to png and then reset all of my contacts to those pngs. Wasn't until I finished that I realized it wasn't the format that helped it was the fact that it had been freshly applied. Thats the part I think is really wierd, I mean if it can look fine when I first set it why would it get blurry after a little bit.