Email Force Closes, won't open any messages

otaku

Reaction score
I synced up my corporate e-mail account, all appeared to be well. For a few days it worked without issue.

Now, whenever I try to open a message, I get an error message stating that the application will force close. I cannot open any mail messages. I tried removing/re-adding the account, same thing.

Is this a known problem?

OP
O

otaku

Reaction score
After frantically searching online, I found the solution. Apparently removing the account doesn't necessarily remove all the data associated with it. Following the procedure from the link below worked:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16336

At any rate, I found a workaround.

Go to Home>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications

Click the Menu button and select "Filter"

Select "Running"

Scroll down to the "Email" application. Select "Clear Data"

(This is effectively the same thing as deleting the account and starting over, however when I tried to delete/recreate the account using the UI, it didn't work. After deleting the information through the Application Manager, it appears that my email is working now.)

Keninlb

Reaction score
I am getting an error message that says:

Sorry!

The application Email (process com.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Force close

I have been through Verizon's customer service and tried all of the troubleshooting ideas...they referred me to Motorola and I have been through both Level 1 and Level 2 technical support and they have tried several troubleshooting ideas including the process you mention. Nothing has helped, the email works for a little while then I start receiving the error message again. BTW, one of the things we tried included resetting the device to factory default.

Any ideas?

oscar

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I spoke to Verizon twice about it. They could not figure it out. I told them that after I deleted my Google, yahoo, and outlook account it worked fine for a day and then another message. They told me to do a factory reset and load one app a day and try that (which I think is ridiculous). I was going to do the reset, but she called me back and brought up the fact that I only have the $30 data plan and I need the $45 plan which I know that's not true but then she asked if I am syncing the calendar and contacts. Which I was, and then everything made sense. Both times I put stuff in the calendar I got that message I stopped syncing the calendar and contacts. It’s only been a couple of hours but its still working. I’m going to try tomorrow around this time to sync the calendar and hopefully it will crash and I strongly believe the will be the issue.

If anybody has tried this please let me know.

OP
O

otaku

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I spoke to Verizon twice about it. They could not figure it out. I told them that after I deleted my Google, yahoo, and outlook account it worked fine for a day and then another message. They told me to do a factory reset and load one app a day and try that (which I think is ridiculous). I was going to do the reset, but she called me back and brought up the fact that I only have the $30 data plan and I need the $45 plan which I know that's not true but then she asked if I am syncing the calendar and contacts. Which I was, and then everything made sense. Both times I put stuff in the calendar I got that message I stopped syncing the calendar and contacts. It’s only been a couple of hours but its still working. I’m going to try tomorrow around this time to sync the calendar and hopefully it will crash and I strongly believe the will be the issue.

If anybody has tried this please let me know.

Good work trying to track it down, and that may be the issue on your phone.

On mine, the problem has not recurred. I've always been syncing both calendar and contacts. I went ahead and created a new meeting on my calendar to test, and I am still not having problems with the e-mail.

oscar

Reaction score
otaku,

I tried your solution yesterday and it only worked for one day. I think that it crashed after I tried syncing the calendar again today. I hope that I can sync the calendar but I would rather solve this problem, then rather have a synced calendar.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
otaku,

I tried your solution yesterday and it only worked for one day. I think that it crashed after I tried syncing the calendar again today. I hope that I can sync the calendar but I would rather solve this problem, then rather have a synced calendar.

I'd be willing to bet that one of your calendar entries has some corrupt data, for some reason. Maybe it isn't affecting Outlook, but for some reason crashes the Android email app. You could TRY copying all of your calendar data to a new calendar; deleting the entire original calendar; and transferring the new copy back to the original. Don't know for sure if this will help, but it could be worth a try.

oscar

Reaction score
otaku,

I'd be willing to bet that one of your calendar entries has some corrupt data, for some reason. Maybe it isn't affecting Outlook, but for some reason crashes the Android email app. You could TRY copying all of your calendar data to a new calendar; deleting the entire original calendar; and transferring the new copy back to the original. Don't know for sure if this will help, but it could be worth a try.

Dave
All I did with the calendar is put in like one line of text nothing else I can't imagine that would corrupt the calendar. I am going to try to sync the calendar today again and see if I get that error again. I will report back later.

Reaction score
I was getting this error on a hotmail account, no calendar for syncing :) I cleared the data as mentioned above and it's working for now. Time will tell.

bgrubb7

Reaction score
I am having the same problem, but only when using IMAP. If I access my work email through POP, then it works fine. IMAP will error immediately.

I installed the K9 email client and everything worked fine, but I don't like it as well as the default Email app.

I disabled Syncing, but it didn't help me.

n0cturne74

Reaction score
After frantically searching online, I found the solution. Apparently removing the account doesn't necessarily remove all the data associated with it. Following the procedure from the link below worked:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16336

At any rate, I found a workaround.

Go to Home>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications

Click the Menu button and select "Filter"

Select "Running"

Scroll down to the "Email" application. Select "Clear Data"

(This is effectively the same thing as deleting the account and starting over, however when I tried to delete/recreate the account using the UI, it didn't work. After deleting the information through the Application Manager, it appears that my email is working now.)

This happened to me today. I want to thank everyone that contributed this information. It helped alot and is working as normal now :)

phreakaj

Reaction score
I had exactly the same broblem after trying to setup my corp email and syncing my cal/contacts.wouldn't let me open anything,corp or hotmail. Deleted. Still FC. Used otaku's workaround and now I can get back into my hotmail acc. Gonna retry my corp acc wo sync cal/contacts and see how that works. Thanks. I was about to return my droid and I didn't wanna do that.

fishepa

Reaction score
Is there any fix for this. This has happened twice to me now using my exchange account. Having to reload the entire account is ridiculous.

loribug26

Reaction score
:yr1:WOOHOO!!!! That fixed it!! :) Thank you otaku posting this, and thank you, thank you, thank you n0cturne74 for reposting it so I could find it! I've been having this problem for some time now, and actually think I'd already fixed it before this way, but since had forgotten! *Happy Dance* :) Have a great day everybody...mine better...now if I could only find the silly charger I had at work I'll be doing quite well!:woot: