Easy root for TB now available. Link inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnmsales

Reaction score
Please be extremely careful when doing this and follow any instructions for the process. I would also advise to read over the forum linked before going through it to make sure there are no known issues.

Mods can we please sticky this thread?

Easyroot + S-Off - xda-developers

This is my easy-rooter for the Thunderbolt. I do not personally have a thunderbolt but I have tested it and fixed as many problems as I could. As far as I'm aware this will only work with firmware versions lower than version 1.12.605.9.
If adb does not see your device try installing the htc sync drivers. If it still does not register please post here.

THIS IS A WINDOWS-ONLY PROGRAM. You must have windows or a windows VM to use this.

As always there is a small chance of bricking your phone.

DISCLAIMER: AndIRC is not affiliated with this program and by using it you agree that neither AndIRc nor myself is responsible for any damages caused by this program.

This provides all necessary files and gives you in-program instructions.

Known bugs:
  • In step 2 the program will occasionally display an error and inform you to contact someone on the AndIRC channel. If this is before the program displays your hash (which should be 6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb as stated) you should be fine. If it is after the hash and/or the hash is different click the step 2 button to start over. Do not restart your device. If you receive the error again then it is legitimate and needs to be corrected.
  • Sometimes your device will not restart into the bootloader on its own. This is usually due to an adb error and redoing the step usually fixes it. This normally only occurs on step 1.
Issues:
  • The files take a long time to push. It could be anywhere from 3-10 minutes.

Credits:
Team AndIRC - for developing the root method found here
XDA - for giving me the chance to make programs like this
me - for making it

Donations:
Please donate to charity first and myself only if you want to. Please make donations in AndIRC's name as well as your own. You can donate here, to the Japan Relief Fund, or any other worthy charity.

my donation link is in my signature

For those of you who are interested in how this method works, here's the explanation. I will be focusing on what the program does,not user interaction so much except where necessary.
Push busybox, psneuter,and misc.img to /data/local/
Push PG05IMG_downgrade.zip to /sdcard and rename to PG05IMG.zip
chmod psneuter and busybox
execute psneuter
check the md5 hash of misc.img
flash misc.img to /dev/block/mmcblk0p17 if the hash is c88dd947eb3b36eec90503a3525ae0de
reboot into the bootloader
press power to enter bootloader and flash PG05IMG.zip (done by user)
once back in android:
remove PG05IMG.zip
push busybox, psneuter, and wpthis to /data/local
chmod all 3 files
run psneuter
run wpthis
push the engineering hboot(hbooteng.nb0) to /data/local/
check the md5 of the hboot file (it should be 6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb)
if it is flash hbooteng.nb0 to /dev/block/mmcblk0p18
push the PG05IMG.zip file to /sdcard
reboot into the bootloader
again press power and flash PG05IMG.zip (done by user)
push su, busybox, and psneuter to /data/local
chmod psneuter and busybox
run psneuter
mount /system as read/write (rw)
copy su to /system/xbin/su
chown and chmod su
install superuser and RomManager
I do recommend learning ADB as it is quite helpful but I realize that for some people that is a daunting task at first glance. I remember being a n00b and this will allow you to fully utilize your phone while still learning at your own pace on the side.

Last edited:

tdetroit

Reaction score
AAAAAAAAAAA. I JUST finished rooting mine using ADB and now this is posted...was sweating bullets, because I'm a total ADB noob, but got it done, after three cups of coffee and a few hiccups.

tdog7879

Reaction score
Is there going to a easy root app or a way to root your phone threw the phone ..my computer is broke at the moment .

Leonius

Reaction score
Is there going to a easy root app or a way to root your phone threw the phone ..my computer is broke at the moment .
Not at the moment. This "easyroot" is basically just a more automated version of the long root. I doubt we will see anything like z4root for the thunderbolt yet.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Yeah I would say its going to be a while for something like that to come out, if even possible. With HTC locking everything down on the TB, the manual way may be the only way to do it. Not sure though. Im sure someone with more knowledge will pipe in.

tdog7879

Reaction score
I thought that there was a one click root for the INC.

trebb

Reaction score
Going to attempt to do this later... I went from the D1 to the DX so there was a big change in the simplicity of loading ROMs/rooting. I thought this phone would be a lot easier :(((

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Trebb, after this process you can do just like before, with rom manager if you like. Once this is done you can install rom man and install clockwork mod.

dtt255

Reaction score
Going to try this later also as I am waiting for a VIP phone call :)

Can some please explain what the author means by BEFORE or AFTER the 'hash' in the known issues.

Also Can someone in PLEASE explain what the heck adb is......:)

Last edited:
OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Isnt ADB the Android Developer Sidekick?

Just looked it up

What Is ADB

When it comes to Android modding, most novice users are confused or left wondering by reference over reference to a certain “adb”. This is specially true when you are looking up something on modding your device, or root it in particular. ADB is the wonder toy of Android and everyone seems to love it, so lets have a look at understanding what it is and why you need it, and how you can get it.

What is ADB

ADB stands for Android Debug Bridge. It comes as a part of the standard Android SDK, which you can grab here. Basically, it provides a terminal-based interface for interacting with your phone’s file system. Since Android platform is based on Linux, command-line is the only way to obtain and manipulate root access often required to perform certain advanced operations on your device using root access.
While these things can be done directly on the device itself using some terminal emulator, it will be rather difficult to execute complex commands on such a small screen. ADB provides the bridge between your machine and your computer.

sincerity

Reaction score
Was to try his but I cant get adb to recognize for the life of me....done it before, nook, Droid etc but no go here....any link or explanation to the HTC sync thing? Have tried on win 7 64 and 32 bit

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Did you read the post linked to? It discusses this. Install the htc sense drivers on PC and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.