***Updated*** Easy Root Available. 3 step process

cnmsales

Reaction score
The DEV has updated this root app and closed a LOT of the bugs that gave way before hand. Good luck, and let us know how your rooting experience with this went. **Updated post** Added a very helpful PDF file for instructions to get this working.

Original post can be found here: Easyroot + S-Off - xda-developers

If you want to install ADB before running then I would recommend using: • View topic - [GUIDE] ADB for "Dummies"

Pretty sure the new update includes everything you need to do it from within the devs download but im including the link to the Dummies guide to ADB for posterity sake.

This is my easy-rooter for the Thunderbolt. I do not personally have a thunderbolt but I have tested it and fixed as many problems as I could. As far as I'm aware this will only work with firmware versions lower than version 1.12.605.9.
If adb does not see your device try installing the htc sync drivers. If that doesn't wok install PDA.net. If it still does not register please post here.

THIS IS A WINDOWS-ONLY PROGRAM. You must have windows or a windows VM to use this.

As always there is a small chance of bricking your phone.

DISCLAIMER: AndIRC is not affiliated with this program and by using it you agree that neither AndIRc nor myself is responsible for any damages caused by this program.

This provides all necessary files and gives you in-program instructions.

Please read this before using this.

Known bugs:
Sometimes you need to redo step 3. If the phone does not reboot on its own simply press the step 3 button again.

Issues:
The files take a long time to push. It could be anywhere from 3-10 minutes.

Credits:
Team AndIRC - for developing the root method found here
XDA - for giving me the chance to make programs like this
me - for making it

Donations:
Please donate to charity first and myself only if you want to. Please make donations in AndIRC's name as well as your own. You can donate here, to the Japan Relief Fund, or any other worthy charity.

since I just saw jcase's thing about my donation link (apparently I'm blind) here it is for those of you who wish to donate to me.

Downloads:
Link removed because of issues with old version. Please use the torrent provided or go to the original thread linked here to get the correct version.

mirrors:
Link removed because of issues with old version. Please use the torrent provided or go to the original thread linked here to get the correct version.

For those of you who are interested in how this method works, here's the explanation. I will be focusing on what the program does,not user interaction so much except where necessary.
Push busybox, psneuter,and misc.img to /data/local/
Push PG05IMG_downgrade.zip to /sdcard and rename to PG05IMG.zip
chmod psneuter and busybox
execute psneuter
check the md5 hash of misc.img
flash misc.img to /dev/block/mmcblk0p17 if the hash is c88dd947eb3b36eec90503a3525ae0de
reboot into the bootloader
press power to enter bootloader and flash PG05IMG.zip (done by user)
once back in android:
remove PG05IMG.zip
push busybox, psneuter, and wpthis to /data/local
chmod all 3 files
run psneuter
run wpthis
push the engineering hboot(hbooteng.nb0) to /data/local/
check the md5 of the hboot file (it should be 6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb)
if it is flash hbooteng.nb0 to /dev/block/mmcblk0p18
push the PG05IMG.zip file to /sdcard
reboot into the bootloader
again press power and flash PG05IMG.zip (done by user)
push su, busybox, and psneuter to /data/local
chmod psneuter and busybox
run psneuter
mount /system as read/write (rw)
copy su to /system/xbin/su
chown and chmod su
install superuser and RomManager
I do recommend learning ADB as it is quite helpful but I realize that for some people that is a daunting task at first glance. I remember being a n00b and this will allow you to fully utilize your phone while still learning at your own pace on the side.

Last edited:
OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Torrent link has been removed. There is a chance DEV will be updating this package tomorrow. You need to visit the XDA forum linked above to get this package and check to see if a new one has been created.

For those that are still downloading this will still work. Just dont want a ton of people going in to the forum tomorrow and trying to get help using the old package if indeed the dev does update.

Last edited:

Droid66

Reaction score
A step by step set of instructions needs posted for this. I read the thread at XDA and a lot of mistakes are being made because there's not any instructions for people that are new to this.
I'd to run this program myself but I don't want to take a chance on screwing up my phone because I clicked on the wrong button or make the wrong choice.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Actuallt the screw ups were made with the original file. Most of the bugs have been worked out of this version.

Make sure your phone is in DEBUG mode and HTC Sync is installed on your PC.

The app should have the instructions in each step on what to do.

Sync can be downloaded here: HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC ThunderBolt

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
How to begin this journey!!!
Step 1
Enable USB Debugging On Your Phone
Step A

Launch the Settings app on your phone. This can be found in your App Drawer, or by Pressing the menu button on the outside of your device.

launch settings app or from settings button after you tap your menu button on the bottom of your screen.

Step B

Tap Applications.

Android Applications Settings
Step C

Tap Development.

Android Development Applications Settings
Step D

Check the box for USB debugging.*

Your phone should now be in Debug Mode, if you go into the notification bar you’ll find an Ongoing alert stating USB debugging connected. Remember how to do this, you will have to turn this on multiple times throughout this process.

2. Go to the folder you placed the extracted files to and click on the ' Rooter.exe ' File. Follow the instructions to a T that are posted in the OP.

***If you cant get your phone to be seen by the program. Try downloading the htcsync program and running it to install the drivers. You can find it on HTC's website or at this mirror. Bad Request - FileFactory . Then unplug (if you had it plugged in during installation) and plug back in your phone. It should say something about installing drivers, if that finishes okay then you are one step closer. If it doesn't work after installing sync, you may have to install PDANet but i don't know where you need to get that from or why it would have drivers that HTC's program wouldn't. I would just try restarting the computer after installing the htc sync first before i tried any other programs. You can also try plugging your phone into a different usb port.***

jawa6969

Reaction score
OK. So I decided to give this a whirl. Put the phone into debug mode. Connected it. Changed to Charge-Only type connection. Wifi off. Hit step 1. Finds device. States Pushing Files.... Says that for 3 maybe 4 minutes. Then on the Easy Rooter screen it says to Choose the bootloader option and press POWER. From what I am reading, the phone should have rebooted to get to where I can choose bootloader. This is not happening for me. Phone just sits there charging. What the frig? What am I doing wrong here?

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
@jawa - DO you have the HTC Sync drivers installed?

jawa6969

Reaction score
@jawa - DO you have the HTC Sync drivers installed?

I installed HTC Sync prior to trying this. Wanted to have all my ducks in a row and not get stuck. To test, I ran HTC Sync. It would not recognize my device until I switched the connection type to HTC Sync. But the fact that I can get it to see the device should mean the drivers are installed. Right?

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Yeah should do. Have you rebooted your phone and pc since installing? If not do that and try again.

Make sure your setting the phone to CHARGE ONLY and DEBUG is turned on.

jawa6969

Reaction score
Yeah should do. Have you rebooted your phone and pc since installing? If not do that and try again.

Make sure your setting the phone to CHARGE ONLY and DEBUG is turned on.

Will give it a go. I did not reboot the PC. Phone yes. Will reboot both and try once more with CHARGE ONLY and DEBUG. If no go, will give the manual root method a try.

jawa6969

Reaction score
Frig!! Clicked STEP 2 and Got the ERROR to contact someone at chat.andirc.net

Where do I go from here?

I am not in a bootloader screen on the phone, it is in android.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Did you get this error before or after the hash?

jawa6969

Reaction score
Did you get this error before or after the hash?

Crap!! I don't know. I followed the instructions to a tee. During step 1 I chose the bootloader option and pressed power. The ROM flashed and said complete. I pressed power to reboot and it went into Android. I skipped the google setup. Turned USB debugging back on, unplugged the device and plugged it back in. Made sure it was on charge only. Nothing happened on the Easy Rooter screen. So I clicked step 2. Got the error right away. Here is what I see:

ERROR! Contact someone at chat.andirc.net in channel #thunderbolt. DO NOT REBOOT.Choose the bootloader option and press POWER. Allow the firmware to flash by pressing VOLUME UP. When finished please reboot into Android as you will have S-OFF.

Again, after rebooting turn USB Debugging back on and unplug your phone and plug it in again.

The phone is plugged in and sitting in android with USB debugging and charge only selected. What's my next step? Click Step 2 again?