rooting help needed...

timorr

Reaction score
Hello, I have a new thunderbolt I am trying to root. I have tried one of the one-click methods, and I have tried manual. They are getting stuck at the same spot. For the manual method I have referenced several places that all have same process such as Updated (4/21/2011): [Exclusive] How To Root The HTC ThunderBolt And Unlock Its Bootloader. I get to the point I push PG05IMG_downgrade.zip to the phone and rename it to PG05IMG.zip.

I have seen multiple other people have issues here, but mine seems to be different. I have 100% verified it is named correct, with a 0 instead of o, with just .zip, not .zip.zip. (verified 2 ways - 1) with Astro file manager, 2) in ADB, I did adb shell. Then I did /data/local/busybox ls /sdcard - essentially doing an LS on the /sdcard directory...)

When I issue the adb reboot bootloader command, it does reboot into bootloader. When I select the bootloader option and hit the power button, it comes back and flashes up the screen saying it could not find the image. When I reboot, I look and the PG05IMG.zip file is no longer on the SD card.

I didn't figure it was the problem, but I did format the SD card via the phone (settings - SD & phone storage - unmount, then formatted). Then I tried again with same results. So, I went on and took the time to do a complete format of the SD card (mounted as disk drive and used windows to do a full format, then used the phone to format again). Still no luck.

In moving the PG05IMG_downgrade.zip file over, I have tried moving it 2 different ways - "adb push PG05IMG_downgrade.zip /sdcard/PG05IMG.zip" and also by mounting as disk drive and just copying over (and then renaming).

My phone is running software 1.70.605.0. My computer is windows 7 64 bit. I did set it to show me the file extensions, again to verify not doing the double .zip extension.

I am at a loss right now. The only thing I can think is I am moving the file into the wrong directory on my phone. I am putting it straight into /sdcard/ But, none of the step by step instructions I have seen have actually shown the command. I am pretty sure its right though. I have spent 3 days digging through threads looking for a solution and either I am blind, not lucky, or it is buried deep. If I just missed it, I apologize.

Can anyone help?

OP
T

timorr

Reaction score
I have downloaded the file from 2-3 different places (sorry I forgot to mention that in my first post). It didn't seem to help. Any other ideas?

DROID11

Reaction score
I had a similar issue rooting an incredible. I believe the SD card has to be formatted to a FAT-32 format. Not positive, just my 2 cents

Sent from the best phone available aka the HTC Thunderbolt

OP
T

timorr

Reaction score
When I reformatted from computer (over usb cable while in Disk Drive mode), I did a full format (not quick) and did it as fat32...still having the same issue.

tomjhansen

Reaction score
Try renaming the file before you put it on the SD card. Mount the card using the phone in disk drive mode and be sure that you put it in the root on the file explorer (I.e. If it's the H drive then put in at H:). Then eject the drive from Windows and then try it.

If that doesn't work check the MD5 on the .zip file. Maybe it's corrupted?

OP
T

timorr

Reaction score
I have tried renaming it prior to placing on the card. I did verify the md5sum. I just retried again, as you suggested, just to make sure and still no luck. I am starting to suspect the SD card itself. I have seen a couple times over past few days where it says something about the SD card changing to read-only due to errors, or something along those lines. I think I have a spare micro-sd card at the office, so I may try a new card tomorrow.