Dropped in water...

Fullesta

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums.
After owning my Moto Droid since April of this year, it finally happened -- it fell into a bucket of water mixed with paint, and seems to be suffering some fairly significant water damage.

The phone was still working after it fell in, so I proceeded to shut it off, take out the battery and cover, and lay them out to dry. This morning, when I figured everything should be fine, I tried turning it on again... no go, unfortunately, it was dead.

I got home later and plugged it into my charger: the phone turned on while plugged in, and aside from obvious stains from the mixed water and paint in the bucket on the screen, everything seemed to work fine -- I checked my email, texts, etc. without any issues. The battery charge level was 60% so I disconnected it, and the phone still worked. At that point I decided that the issue was resolved, putting it down and plugging it in, allowing it to charge.

When I picked it back up again, it was going through the startup screen. Seems like it's stuck in some sort of limbo where the battery randomly fails, forcing it to reboot... or it could be the phone itself, I don't know.

Worth noting is the fact that the water sticker on the back is still white with red "+'s" in it. Could I get the phone replaced in its current state, or is there another easy way out? I don't have any extra insurance or coverage on my plan, as far as I know...

Thanks in advance!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, too bad you don't have insurance on such an expensive phone. You know what happened to the phone, and I can tell you that even if it seems to work for a while, the inside components are going to eventually go bad because they will corrode. You really don't have many options because even though that sticker is still white with the +'s, once it's replaced under warranty and then sent back, once they open it up and see all the water damage, you'll have the full retail price of the replacement phone showing on your next bill. You might want to look at other options....maybe a upgrade using 1 yr. pricing on a new phone or if you have an eligible line use that and upgrade that line and move the phone to your current line with the bad phone. Next time, get insurance, that's the bottom line.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The going rate on ebay and such is $185. At this point I believe that is your cheapest option unless there are any independent cell phone repair shops in your area. The one in my area,cellphone repair technicians, does mail ins and has a website
http://www.cprva.com/cpt_richmond/

wified from my monolith using a slider keypad

johntkong

Reaction score
Or check your local Craigslist. I've seen a few Droids going for as low as $125. Good luck, and get insurance on your next device.

Cheers.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The phone was still working after it fell in, so I proceeded to shut it off, take out the battery and cover, and lay them out to dry. This morning, when I figured everything should be fine, I tried turning it on again... no go, unfortunately, it was dead.
When did it fall in? Overnight is rarely long enough to allow a device to fully dry.

Also, don't power down when this happens. Just pull the battery and cards immediately. The more time it's powered while wet the worse your odds are of saving the device. In this case, it would probably help to wash the paint and other contaminants with distilled water and/or something like alchohol.

Could I get the phone replaced in its current state, or is there another easy way out? I don't have any extra insurance or coverage on my plan, as far as I know...
Sure -- if you buy a replacement.

Last edited:

wiley46

Reaction score
Crap. I was just about to post about my situation, which is different than this but I think I found my answer above :/

My Droid has been "buggy" over the last few months, random reboots, force closing a lot of apps especially Browser, and the camera quality went to hell (grainy, horrible lighting, etc). Did a complete wipe, seemed to get a little better, but then the camera completely stopped working (wouldn't process the picture into Gallery after snapping it...just a black box). I called tech support, told them about everything, and they sent me a refurb under warranty.

Well, when I got my replacement and pulled the cover off my phone to swap SD and battery, I noticed the water indicator with the red X's on the refurb, and the solid red dot on mine. I had a feeling what this meant, but googled it and found that my phone is showing water damage. IT HAS NEVER GOTTEN WET! I am 100% sure I have never dunked it, used it in a rainstorm or any other things that may have led to water damage.

So now I don't know what to do....if I send the old phone back and they see the indicator is red, you're saying I'll get charged full retail for the replacement!?!? Should I call and talk to them? Oh man...

EDIT: and no, I don't have insurance (I know, I know)

dangell26

Reaction score
Crap. I was just about to post about my situation, which is different than this but I think I found my answer above :/

My Droid has been "buggy" over the last few months, random reboots, force closing a lot of apps especially Browser, and the camera quality went to hell (grainy, horrible lighting, etc). Did a complete wipe, seemed to get a little better, but then the camera completely stopped working (wouldn't process the picture into Gallery after snapping it...just a black box). I called tech support, told them about everything, and they sent me a refurb under warranty.

Well, when I got my replacement and pulled the cover off my phone to swap SD and battery, I noticed the water indicator with the red X's on the refurb, and the solid red dot on mine. I had a feeling what this meant, but googled it and found that my phone is showing water damage. IT HAS NEVER GOTTEN WET! I am 100% sure I have never dunked it, used it in a rainstorm or any other things that may have led to water damage.

So now I don't know what to do....if I send the old phone back and they see the indicator is red, you're saying I'll get charged full retail for the replacement!?!? Should I call and talk to them? Oh man...

Humidity can cause this, have you ever had it in the bathroom while you showered?

wiley46

Reaction score

Humidity can cause this, have you ever had it in the bathroom while you showered?
All the time...playing Pandora. I've heard this is possible, but I'm wondering how to approach it with Verizon. Do I call them before I send it back, or send it and wait to see if I get charged and then start fighting the battle? Will they definitely charge me for that replacement when they see the red dot?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I cant imagine having any luck with VZW if your water indicator is set.... I'm sure they hear stories every day. Good luck.

I would call them before sending it back -- not doing so runs the risk of getting billed for a replacement for something you might not want. Calling them, seeing what you can do, provides you with the ability to both see what's going to happen, and make a solid judgement as to whether you care enough.

A new phone could be in your future.

wiley46

Reaction score
I called VZW. She suggested bringing it into a VZW Store and they can check the software for damage as well to verify. She said even excess humidity from being in the bathroom for instance during a shower would constitute water damage if the indicator and software show damage, and would void the warranty. FML.

She said it's up to Motorola to decide whether to charge me or not, I can send my old phone back and may or may not be charged...or I can refuse the replacement and keep using my buggy phone :/

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I called VZW. She suggested bringing it into a VZW Store and they can check the software for damage as well to verify. She said even excess humidity from being in the bathroom for instance during a shower would constitute water damage if the indicator and software show damage, and would void the warranty. FML.

She said it's up to Motorola to decide whether to charge me or not, I can send my old phone back and may or may not be charged...or I can refuse the replacement and keep using my buggy phone :/

At least you know now. And humidity = water damage makes sense, unfortunately.

dangell26

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my old EnV back in the day and the rep told me the shower/humidity thing didn't matter. The warranty was void. Fortunately I have never gone without insurance on a phone and suggest no one does.