Droid X pre-order from Best Buy

soulpatch

Reaction score
I did the pre order at best buy and am eligible for New Every Two on 07/26/2010. I should be able to get the phone for the 199 discount right

If you get the NE2 discount than they shoudl apply that as well. Depending on how long you have been a member that would mean your total will either be 149 or 99

How would you get the discount early? My NE2 is 7/21/2010 and I want my $100 discount (I'm under the old policy). I pre-ordered from BB and am planning on buying the phone full retail on 7/15/2010, then returning it on 7/21/2010 and buying it again, but this time activating it so I can the two-year price and discount. Is there a way to get it earlier?

Every other time I have bought a phone there is a buffer with the NE2 discount. So long as you buy it in that month it is normally given. Though I will note that with BB you will have a small fight on your hand as they came into the game a bit late and seem to think everyone is on a $50 NE2 discount while some of us older heads are locked into $100 off ever 2 years. I had to log onto the VZW website and show them I had a larger discount and then a manager was required to come over and give an additional $50 off on the phone.

If BB says they can not give the NE2 till the 26th then I would instead go to your VZW store as they have more leeway with discounts and applying them early per your plan.

zoomzoom9

Reaction score
If you get the NE2 discount than they shoudl apply that as well. Depending on how long you have been a member that would mean your total will either be 149 or 99

How would you get the discount early? My NE2 is 7/21/2010 and I want my $100 discount (I'm under the old policy). I pre-ordered from BB and am planning on buying the phone full retail on 7/15/2010, then returning it on 7/21/2010 and buying it again, but this time activating it so I can the two-year price and discount. Is there a way to get it earlier?

Every other time I have bought a phone there is a buffer with the NE2 discount. So long as you buy it in that month it is normally given. Though I will note that with BB you will have a small fight on your hand as they came into the game a bit late and seem to think everyone is on a $50 NE2 discount while some of us older heads are locked into $100 off ever 2 years. I had to log onto the VZW website and show them I had a larger discount and then a manager was required to come over and give an additional $50 off on the phone.

If BB says they can not give the NE2 till the 26th then I would instead go to your VZW store as they have more leeway with discounts and applying them early per your plan.

Good to know...hopefully there will be a Verizon rep there who knows what's going on (they had one at the Best Buy I got my Storm at, which was pretty helpful since the BB reps don't seem to know all the intricacies of the carriers). I've actually already printed the info out from the website because I've heard it's a bit of a PITA at BB.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here is a good FAQ from Best Buy about pre ordering. It is specifically for the iPhone 4, but I would assume the same rules apply to other phones as well.

BBY - UPDATED 6/24: iPhone 4 Pre-order FAQ - Best Buy Forum

Basically, it says that pre orders are first priority. Once they know that they have enough inventory to cover all the pre orders, they will start selling to walk ins. So no, there is no guarantee that you will get a phone, but it is much more likely than if you just walk in on the 15th.

just4747

Reaction score
Posted this is another forum....

My situation sucked because my upgrade date wasn't until September 5th of this year and my contract end date was ****ing January 5th, 2011 (my luck). So I would fall outside of being eligible for this upgrade deal.

I called Verizon's customer service and got a very nice woman CS rep. I explained to her about the whole "getting any phone at the upgrade price if your contract end date is in 2010", assuming she didn't even know about that or the X.
Well, she didn't know, lol, but she said she'd see what she can do and put me on hold. She acutally did know about the phone itself a little, but not much.

About 8 minutes later (literally), she said she isn't able to move up my contract end date, but her manager let her move my upgrade date from September to TODAY
smile.gif

I was so happy, probably said thank you a million times. I just don't want to pay retail for a phone lol.

So now I have peace of mind until that great day next month
smile.gif

I just hope they let us pre-order at the real stores soon!! Otherwise, I'll be late for work that day while I'm at Verizon for opening
smile.gif

So my advice is to keep calling Verizon and explaining that you want to do this until you get a good rep that will help!!

EDIT: Aaaand just pre-ordered my X at Best Buy!! Number 8 in the store :)

Last edited:

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
So the new ETF doesn't apply to dumb phones or it only applies to secondary lines?

The $350 ETF applies to any smartphone line carrying a $29.99 or higher data plan. All others are still $175. If I switch the X off of the new line and put an old flip phone on it that line becomes a basic line. I've been told by several sources that it will work.

I think there might be a hole in your plan. Your purchase Droid X purchase is based on a contract. Once you sign that contract in order to cancel that contract it will cost you 350 because that's the ETF your contract is signed under. So moving whatever phone to that line will still cause it to incur a 350 fee which is what was written in that contract. Not to be a downer but that's what it seems like to me.

I was looking at two options myself...trying something like that, or canceling my plan and just having my wife start a new line of service and just add my phone on to her's. Also what plan are you guys choosing that will allow you to get a cheapo phone for 10 bucks? I have the basic plan for 49.99. the first family plan is 69.99...

Ok well how about this option....

What if we added a line to get the X. I move the X to the primary (current Droid) line. Then move my wife or daughters phone to the brand new line and then cancel one of their lines. Those are just regular lines. Think this would work???

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dropped some coin on a Droid X @ Best Buy Today! July 15th, here we come!

dandroid-droid-x.jpg

dangerous

Reaction score
So the new ETF doesn't apply to dumb phones or it only applies to secondary lines?

The $350 ETF applies to any smartphone line carrying a $29.99 or higher data plan. All others are still $175. If I switch the X off of the new line and put an old flip phone on it that line becomes a basic line. I've been told by several sources that it will work.

I think there might be a hole in your plan. Your purchase Droid X purchase is based on a contract. Once you sign that contract in order to cancel that contract it will cost you 350 because that's the ETF your contract is signed under. So moving whatever phone to that line will still cause it to incur a 350 fee which is what was written in that contract. Not to be a downer but that's what it seems like to me.

I was looking at two options myself...trying something like that, or canceling my plan and just having my wife start a new line of service and just add my phone on to her's. Also what plan are you guys choosing that will allow you to get a cheapo phone for 10 bucks? I have the basic plan for 49.99. the first family plan is 69.99...
As long as the Droid remains active, i don't think the $350 will apply..
I'm paying $160 for a dumb line that i upgraded to a BB Tour then moved that tour to my wife.. The Dumb line person decided to retire... hence now i owe $160 Prorated.. (course, when did the $350 ETF go into effect for SmartPhones?)

jwilli5621

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this has already been answered in a prior post.

But from my past experience I've had with upgrades with verizon is the following.
Lets say for example you bought a Motorola Droid on August 6th of last year and you wanted to buy the Droid X, you would have to pay the full retail price, but if you wait till the 1 year date of getting your phone you can walk into best buy, verizon and get the Droid X for the sales price that is offered. The only thing you don't get is the NE2 credit that you would normally get at the end of your NE2 contract. So yes you can upgrade your phone if its been 1 full year or after.

I've done this plenty of times and never had any problems, i bought my last phone from best buy and also had no problems. I double checked with Best Buy and Verizon to see when i could buy the Droid X and both stated August 6th which is my 1 year date.

Hope that answers any questions.

catmandoo

Reaction score
preordered my X

Just preordered mine, 4th on the list in Springfield, MO. My first smartphone ever, Will I be blown away? Will I need help?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
quick question about best buy policies

the account is under my dads name but im added as an acct manager - wanna go preorder this phone tomr but hes busy with work so wont be able to go with me

I know all of the passwords/login info for the account - will there be any problem with me going by myself?

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

the account is under my dads name but im added as an acct manager - wanna go preorder this phone tomr but hes busy with work so wont be able to go with me

I know all of the passwords/login info for the account - will there be any problem with me going by myself?

Don't need any of that. All they ask for is the number, your license and payment. They don't do anything with the account until you come in to pick it up and get it activated.

dyno213

Reaction score

They don't even check your account in order for you to pre-order. I told them I wanted to pre-order and I filled out the form. As I was filling out the form, the associate rang up a $50 gift card. I left with my sales receipt and gift card. It took about 2 minutes.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

They don't even check your account in order for you to pre-order. I told them I wanted to pre-order and I filled out the form. As I was filling out the form, the associate rang up a $50 gift card. I left with my sales receipt and gift card. It took about 2 minutes.

they dont even check the acct to see if youre eligible for an upgrade? and what was the gift card for?

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

they dont even check the acct to see if youre eligible for an upgrade? and what was the gift card for?

No they do not check any account info. You could go in there and preorder one not even having VZW service yet.

The gift card is basically your deposit right back. Just on a gift card so you have to use it there. Most people will use it towards the X purchase. Like I previoously stated. I didn't pay for a preorder. I bought a gift card and my name on a piece of paper.