Droid X or wait for Dual Core

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I'm tempted by the DroidX big time but here's my take...

Alot of people are saying go ahead and buy a phone now because if you always wait for the next best thing there will never be a good time. However, unlike the past 6-7 months the next jump in smartphone processors will be huge, with both a doubling of clock speeds and/or a doubling of cores. After they move to a dual core platform I doubt if the DroidX will look so juicy. Not only that, we all know that LTE tech is coming. I live in D.C. so i know I'm going to have it in my area. If you wait until fall you'll probably have a phone with enough a$$ to handle whatever the next OS delivers and the ability to use a 4G network. that should make your phone current and capable until the end of your contract.

There's nothing, so far, that my MotoDroid prevents me from doing for now, but if your phone is absolutely behind the curve and you can't do the small things, I recommend an upgrade. BUT... If you can hold out for 6-7 months you will be well rewarded.

Last edited:

virtaclesmile

Reaction score
I'm tempted by the DroidX big time but here's my take...

Alot of people are saying go ahead and buy a phone now because if you always wait for the next best thing there will never be a good time. However, unlike the past 6-7 months the next jump in smartphone processors will be huge, with both a doubling of clock speeds and/or a doubling of cores. After they move to a dual core platform I doubt if the DroidX will look so juicy. Not only that, we all know that LTE tech is coming. I live in D.C. so i know I'm going to have it in my area. If you wait until fall you'll probably have a phone with enough a$$ to handle whatever the next OS delivers and the ability to use a 4G network. that should make your phone current and capable until the end of your contract.

There's nothing, so far, that my MotoDroid prevents me from doing for now, but if your phone is absolutely behind the curve and you can't do the small things, I recommend an upgrade. BUT... If you can hold out for 6-7 months you will be well rewarded.

I couldn't agree more! My modded OC'D moto droid is just as good as any 1ghz phone on the market right now IMHO, sans 4.3" screen. I can also make it look like whatever phone is out right now. I'm sticking with the droid right now, and will make a decision when the right time comes.

Beardface

Reaction score
Man... the more I see the HTC 4G EVOs that my friends are getting, the more I really want the Droid X. Those phones are SO nice, its not even funny. The screens are ridiculous, and puts the Droid's size to shame.

I am not currently rooted, and will most likely do so before even thinking of upgrading. I'll wait for Froyo as well before making any decisions, but man... But, I did just get my Droid in early February, so its not like I even have the choice to upgrade now.

razorseal

Reaction score
I still can't decide, I just love the sexiness factor of the Droid X but it's missing couple things that I want from my next upgrade, the most important being the front facing camera and it being a world phone. I'm in the army and when I get deployed I want to take my phone with me. also I have family that live in turkey so I want to bring my phone with me over there as well... and I want the front facing camera to keep in touch with family members over there and my gf over here. I don't care so much about LTE. I'd love to have it, but right now, 3g works for me.

that being said and people always saying the should I wait thing is stupid because if you keep waiting there will be better phones come out, I say expect some features from a phone and don't make the commitment until they come out. right now the only thing with the Droid X I like is the HDMI output (which apparently only shows device captures media, so I won't even be able to use it effectively until someone roots it which will take a very long time) and the bigass screen... and I don't really care for the keyboard either

so what I say is, want some features from a phone, and if it has most of it, or better yet all of it, get it. if not keep waiting...

razorseal

Reaction score
Man... the more I see the HTC 4G EVOs that my friends are getting, the more I really want the Droid X. Those phones are SO nice, its not even funny. The screens are ridiculous, and puts the Droid's size to shame.

I am not currently rooted, and will most likely do so before even thinking of upgrading. I'll wait for Froyo as well before making any decisions, but man... But, I did just get my Droid in early February, so its not like I even have the choice to upgrade now.

I'm in the same boat... I have the Droid for 8 months now and once rooted and OC'd it acts like a nexus one/incredible, so I'm not behind the power curve, but my buddy's evo is just so damn sexy! but it can pretty much do everything it can do besides front camera and 720p camera and 8mp pics...

someone really needs to develop and hack the camera to take 720p video like they did to the nexus one