Droid X or Samsung Fascinate??

gujupmp88

Reaction score
I currently have an original droid, and i was looking to get something faster/slimmer. I am not going to use my upgrade on either because I want to save that for one of the better upcoming phones. I have an opportunity to get either the droid x or fascinate at a really good off contract price from a buddy of mine and was wondering which is better to have. i'm looking at battery life and speed mostly. i would definitely root either one of them, and i know the droid x is a pain, but would still do it.

so back to the original question, which one of these 2 phones is better? any input would be great(except saying i should wait to buy an upcoming LTE because i already explained that). Thank You.

mgatov

Reaction score
My sister has the Fascinate and I have the X. At family get-together, we mutually whip them out and lay them down on the table. After lengthy discussions we both leave thinking we have proved our points-of-view. I like the larger screen. She likes the more compact body. This is basically a repeat of the Camaro/Trans-Am discussions of the past.

OP
G

gujupmp88

Reaction score
i appreciate all your input, but i was hoping for this to be more informative and less fanboyish. again, i'm glad that people are trying to help out, but i was looking into more personal experience stuff. i found a bunch of websites that compare the 2, but that was before all the updates and user experiences are generally more informative/accurate than something a reviewer would say.

CxUNG

Reaction score
The x is better not becuase ihave it just to say its better than the fascinate but from what iread and heard the fascinate updates are slow you have to wait a very long time. Ex. While the X has froyo the fascinate just got it. There are various articles stating this fact. And in ky case the Dx is not that hard to get root access from. All you have to do is get Z4 root from google.com then follow simple selteps your good to go.

Sent from DROiDx using DROiDforumsAPP

cpjr

Reaction score
What are you looking for dude, for each person that says the X is better you will get one that likes the fascinate.

So it depends on you, cause the hardware differences are enough for personal opinion.

plvaulter06

Reaction score
I have owned a Fascinate, and used extensively the Droid X.

In my opinion the Fascinate is a far superior device. The graphics processor in the Fascinate... the PowerVR SGX540 is a whole generation ahead of the the Droid X. The Droid X is very fast, however when using the Fascinate there will be much less noticeable lag scrolling around in the menus of the OS, surfing the internet, and doing other graphically intensive tasks. I like the Fascinate because it is thinner, lighter, has better screen technology (including superior functioning multi-touch), and doesn't have cheap feeling front physical buttons.

On the other hand Samsung has been really terrible about getting the updates out for their phones. Still IMHO the Fascinate even on 2.1 beats Droid X on 2.2

If Samsung/Verizon ever roll out 2.2/2.3 for the fascinate it would be a no-brainer

deputc26

Reaction score
Go with the x for way better battery life, put launcherpro on it because motoblur sucks. Lag in UI has nothing to do with GPU, the android GUI is not GPU accelerated.

GDP

Reaction score
I like the fascinate because it is a lot lighter and has a better feel to it. You will not notice a difference in speed between the two. The x has a better camera. The fascinate has a better looking screen although it is slightly smaller than the x. The x has Froyo, but I assume the fascinate will get that soon. Other than those things I can't think of much difference between the two

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

DownRiver_Droid

Reaction score
I went with the fascinate, and after rooting this phone rocks! Get a undervolted kernel and you will be good to go.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Go with the x for way better battery life, put launcherpro on it because motoblur sucks. Lag in UI has nothing to do with GPU, the android GUI is not GPU accelerated.
Are you sure the X is better for battery life? My Dad's fascinate has insane battery life.

en28so

Reaction score
I think the fascinate feels too flimsy(plastic galore), the X(what I got) feels like a tank(which is a good thing). The screen on the X is bigger, and I rooted mine like in 5 minutes with z4 root. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the X seems to have more custom roms.

Droid X. Rooted with Z4root and undervolted to save battery life, with jrummy's overclocking app

wil318466

Reaction score
I think the fascinate feels too flimsy(plastic galore), the X(what I got) feels like a tank(which is a good thing). The screen on the X is bigger, and I rooted mine like in 5 minutes with z4 root. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the X seems to have more custom roms.

Droid X. Rooted with Z4root and undervolted to save battery life, with jrummy's overclocking app

The difference in feel between a heavy, tanky phone and the fascinate is light years different. The Fascinate with a silicone black cover is just about perfect in terms of weight/feel/size. I've held it against every phone out there, and the Fascinate is absolutely perfect in this respect.

Without the silicone cover, I would agree it feels almost too light, too "plasticy". But like I've said, I have a cover.

And, while the screen on the X might be bigger (not sure of the specs) I can tell you the screen on the fascinate is outrageously nice. I've had multiple people comment on how beautiful the display is.

Don't count out the Fascinate. It's a great phone if you can get past the GPS issues and the lack of a dedicated LED.