Motorola Droid X Vs Samsung Fascinate

OP
S

Shill

Reaction score
So, these are the only things different, fill in the blanks if I forgot something.

Speed
+Fascinate
-DX

Custimizable
+Fascinate
-DX

Screen
+Fascinate
-DX

Camera
+DX
-Fascinate
But both can take 720P HD video?

Screen
+Fascinate
-DX

Storage
+DX
-Fascinate

Bluetooth?
+Fascinate 3.0
-DX 2.1

Based on all those, I give up 6GB of storage (won't matter at all to me) and the 3MP of camera. Definitely a no brainer at the moment. What would make me consider the DX again?

Krish

Reaction score
I tried both X and Fascinate. I got to say after removing a bunch of bloated ware from Fascinate it runs amazing with launcher pro. The screen is like eye candy itself, people are always amazed on how clear everything is on mine. I don't understand where you get the grainy from since i don't have it on mines at all. The camera does have flash and works just as good as 8mp. Only difference is the Size. The phone may be plastic like but its very light and its protected well enough with a case and its what i like. Everyone will have a different opinion its hard to ask on this forum what to pick. Its all on you and you to play with both, read a few reviews. That's what i did and i haven't regretted anything. I'm sure when the development community gets up and running on the Fascinate it will get even better. Also makes you think. Fascinate is this great with 2.1, imagine how great it will be with 2.2 - 3.0. The hardware is very nice the UI is extremely smooth in all areas. To me its pretty much a iphone with android on it.

Last edited:

AtrusNex

Reaction score
My deciding factors would be:

Screen: The X has a slightly larger screen with a slightly higher resolution but the pixel density is about the same. The Fascinate has a smaller screen, with more vibrant colors, higher contrast, lower power consumption, and better daylight visibility. Most AMOLED displays have a pentile pixel matrix that can cause a slightly grainy appearance on the borders of high contrast colors such as text.

Feel: Some people feel the X is awkward to hold or put in a pocket due to it's strange shape, whilst some people don't like the glossy finish on the Fascinate. Both phones have good build quality and both lack any large amounts of metal components like their predecessors.

Camera: This one is really give and take. The X has a higher resolution and a mechanical shutter for very fast shutter reflex. The CMOS sensor on the Fascinate is much better in lowlight conditions and tends to have more saturated colors while the X can seem comparatively washed out. I personally prefer the Fascinates camera software over any other phone on the market, but the X's software is a marked improvement over the vanilla interface.

Memory: The X has 6 more GB of internal memory to give it a maximum total memory of 40 GB compared to the Fascinate's 34 GB. This could play an important role if you're a person who like to have have hundreds or thousands of applications on your phone. I personally rarely had more that 70-80 applications on my phone at one time and never maxed out my Droid's 256 MB of internal memory so this really isn't an issue for myself. Another point to keep in mind is that the Fascinate's SD card doesn't require the battery to be removed to swap it so it could theoretically be easier to "hot swap" memory cards in the fascinate.

Connectivity: Both phones support wireless N protocol, DLNA and HDMI (although the fascinate require a special adapter to do so), but the Fascinate also supports Bluetooth 3.0 which allows for much higher data rates, range and dramatically better power consumption over Bluetooth 2.0. If you use Bluetooth a lot this could be a deciding factor.

Performance: The Cortex A8 processor is generally considered to be two to three times faster than the over-clocked OMAP processor in the X. The GPU in the fascinate is also noticeably faster than the one in the X. Both phones however, are very fast and you'd be unlikely to notice a big difference except when really pushing the phone or in benchmarks.

Battery Life: The battery life between the two phones is hard to call, as both phones have software issues currently preventing the true maximum battery life of the device of being measured. Current;y though, their battery lives are too close to really be a deciding factor though. Expect a day of heavy usage and up to 2-4 days with light usage.

Microphones: The X has three microphones to supposedly help with noise cancellation while the Fascinate only has the typical one microphone. Some people say that multi-microphone technology is still very experimental and doesn't make much of a difference, although I personally don't know if it does or not. Both phones have above average audio quality in both calls and video recording.

In truth, both phones are great devices and you would be hard pressed to find better phones out there. I personally prefer the form factor and hardware of the Fascinate, but the X certainly has some important.

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea the extra mics do make for good noise cancellation on calls on the X. The extra mics also give excellent audio in videos recordings.

I heard someone else say colors on the Fascinate looked strange, they said neon-like...could be cuz its more "vibrant"...

LCD vs. Amoled..... That will be a preference pick there. And I agree Pentile Matrix needs to be thrown away.

GPS issues on the Samsung phones can be a con for right now. Depends on if its a software or hardware issue.

The lag fix/hack that takes rooting to fix can be seen as a pro and a con..

Which phone one considers the best will be what they consider more important. For me reception is my #1 goal for any of these phones. Everything else comes 2nd...I am glad the Fascinate wasnt out when the X came out...I might still be deciding which one to get right now...lol

Last edited:

mkstn

Reaction score
This does not sound like a great phone to me and personally I have NEVER had good luck with Samsung Products. Sounds like too many issues depending on software upgrades... good luck with that. Hey if the phone is not 95% A-OK on it's release I would not buy it.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Its called over saturation. The AMOLED screen on the Fascinate has the color so overly saturated it gives everything a cartoon look. It is also "grainy" because of the pixel matrix used. As far as 3d performance, it is 1st only to the DX in 2nd. Both devices are nice, pick the one that feels better in your hand. No one cares about who has better phone specs, its all about YOUR preference. Dont buy anything because someone else thinks its cooler.

I personally dont like the fascinate, I do like the captivate (att galaxy s) though.

To each his own, but overall both are nice devices for the price, pick the one you like better.

doormanisgod

Reaction score
Samsungs last few phones have always boasts great stats but were a lack there of. I left the Samsung moment to get an OG Droid and this phone is light years faster and more stable than the moment even tho the moment boasts superior hardware and lack of support from Samsung was a killer with both the moment and the instinct. This phone might be the best thing since sliced bread but ill personally stick with the company that has a better track record of taking care of their customers with support and updates. Fascinate owners .. look up sdx developers, its a Samsung dev community.

RK KINGKONG

Reaction score
Did I make a mistake buying the Droid x over the Fascinate ?

I really need peoples opinion , I like my DROID X . I can only find 1 thing Im unhappy with and thats fuzzy pictures indoors or in low light. other than that Im happy . but I keep hearing the Fascinate has a better processor , better screen , more vibrant ETC............. please guys I want your opinion on this . I had made a post with a poll but ofcourse it gets closed wow . W/E if anyone can comment please do THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE

mkstn

Reaction score
Sometimes you get a good photo from a cell phone and sometimes not. In good light they do pretty well but if conditions are not just right you are not going to get the quality. That is why there are digital cameras. They try to make the phones a Swiss Army Knife and that is what you get. I love my Droid but hate it as a phone.

SlvrEvoIX

Reaction score
Droid x < Fascinate ..... less problems all around. I can actually connect to wifi's lol.

I had 2 droid x's before I jumped ship and now im super satisfied with my fascinate. NO LAG AT ALL!!!!!

RK KINGKONG

Reaction score
I never had issues with lag.just pictures, I already own a Droid X but I've seen all these YOUTUBE video reviews I just wanted to hear first hand from ppl whom may have owned them both. Made a switch and why. I want to hear from present or past owners.I keep hearing the Fascinate has a better processor, screen etc.........Thank you for your reply