Droid X vs Fascinate

andymellon4

Reaction score
I currently have the fascinate but i yearn for more. I am worried the fascinate will not get updated to 2.2 let alone 2.3 and i want to have the new Google market capability with the phone. I thought the droid x looked impressive but is it really worth taking back my fascinate.

The situation is i got the fascinate as a replacement to the droid. If i were to get the X i would have to use my mom's upgrade and she would take my fascinate.

djsiva

Reaction score
I currently have the fascinate but i yearn for more. I am worried the fascinate will not get updated to 2.2 let alone 2.3 and i want to have the new Google market capability with the phone. I thought the droid x looked impressive but is it really worth taking back my fascinate.

The situation is i got the fascinate as a replacement to the droid. If i were to get the X i would have to use my mom's upgrade and she would take my fascinate.

My coworker across from me has the Fascinate and I have the X. He has admitted to me that he has phone envy. Enough said. :)

Nate

justinc101011

Reaction score
i have the fascinate and love it. a friend has the DX and the fascinate blows it away in speed and graphics. the DX is almost already half a year old, so i'd wait 2 or 3 months for a really good 4.3in phone if you need it. no sense in wasting 2 upgrades in 3 months

mcapozzi

Reaction score
Well I guess it depends.

I was debating this exact scenario a few months ago, I went with the Fascinate because the screen is much better looking than the X. If I had to do it over, I would get the X so that I could have Froyo before 2011.

Also at the time, Exchange support on the X was abysmal, even now my coworkers who have the Droid X constantly complain about having to use Touchdown because Corporate Sync still doesn't work.

-Mike

djsiva

Reaction score
I was debating this exact scenario a few months ago, I went with the Fascinate because the screen is much better looking than the X. If I had to do it over, I would get the X so that I could have Froyo before 2011.

Also at the time, Exchange support on the X was abysmal, even now my coworkers who have the Droid X constantly complain about having to use Touchdown because Corporate Sync still doesn't work.

-Mike

Not sure what the issue is with your coworkers, but I get my Exchange mail on my phone and don't have any issues with it. It works great for me.

Nate

mcapozzi

Reaction score
Here is what doesn't work.

Push notifications don't work at all and changing the notification sound doesn't work on phones with multipple e-mail accounts setup.

The Exchange server is 2003 Enterprise Edition and there are no goofy security restrictions on it.

Email works fine on my phone, doesn't work on an X configured the exact same way.

-Mike

Freezetron

Reaction score
I had the same issue myself when getting my first phone. I'll copy and paste my comparison here.

After spending about half and hour playing with them, even a noob smartphone user like me found some differences that made me decide to go with the Droid X vs the Fascinate:

1. Screen.
Yes the Fascinate does have a big and VERY bold screen. The colors and brightness just literally pop out in front of you in comparison to the droid. For me however, the size difference between 4" and 4.3" was pretty large as I could easily navigate and text much easier on the Droid X vs the Fasc, which is a big deal for me cause im texting alot more. The larger screen also helps viewing webpages. Droid X wins here for me.

I was also very surprised when web surfing on CNN via both of them, that the Fascinates screen shows the whites as a very "bluish" tinge all around vs the Droid X is a very pure and sharp and bright "white" I honestly couldn't believe the Fascinate had such great colors but the white just look so... blue! The grays and silvers also were a big difference as a result in comparison to the Droid X, its like im looking through a layer of water or something on the Fascinate and I dont' like it, at all. The extra .3'' on the Droid X screen really draws me into it and makes it easier to fiddle around and learn for me. Droid X wins again.

2. Search engine
. Bingo blows hard on Fascinate, Google rules on Droid X. Yeah, I heard you can somehow disable/remove Bing on the Fascinate but I don't really wanna deal with it and I may or may not get into the rooting of the phone. Layout of the google search vs the Bingo is also night and day IMO. Droid X wins again

3. Interface. I dunno the technical names between the different Android skins or whatever on these phones but I much preffered the simpler and "mature" look of the Droid X's menu system vs the Iphone, cartoonish GUI of the Fascinate. Droic X once again IMO.

4. Look and feel. Alot people are gushing and ooohing about the slick, smooth and rounded nature of the Fascinate vs the "harsher" and edgier look of the Droid X. Must be me and my masculinity and my hate for all Apple products, but the Fascinate felt like some kinda glossy vibrater in my hand, everything was slick and glossy! The looks Fascinate says "girly, soft and gentle for everyday use" and the Doid X says "I have a big e-penis and a good real penis to back it up with" The aluminum, soft textured feel of the Droid X gives it a more robust, "solid" build quality feeling to it. Fascinate just feels like every other damn plastic, china made electronic product out there. Droid X calls to me again.

I could go on, but those were the big things that really stood out to me comparing these phones. Again, this is coming from someone who has NEVER had a smartphone and up until two weeks ago, poo pooed the very idea of owning, using and paying for a smartphone. It wasn't until I really sat down *or stand up in the VZW store anyway* and played with them did I find really what these suckers are all about. I quickly learned that I hated the Windows based smartphones right off the bat, the Android Google OS is just better all around to a first time smartphone owner like me and this is coming from someone who is basically a Microsoft fan for both personal and proffessional needs.

Hope this helps others in their decision process. Bottom line, technology is just getting freaking incredible in the last 11 year since I graduated HS. I can't imagine what the next 10 years are gonna be bring! Its awesome time to be a young nerd in todays modern society!

accellpo

Reaction score
i have the fascinate and love it. a friend has the DX and the fascinate blows it away in speed and graphics. the DX is almost already half a year old, so i'd wait 2 or 3 months for a really good 4.3in phone if you need it. no sense in wasting 2 upgrades in 3 months

Funny, my DX beat the Fascinate in every speed test I tried. Also, the DX gets a better signal, battery life, resists finger prints, and has better call quality.

djsiva

Reaction score
I had the same issue myself when getting my first phone. I'll copy and paste my comparison here.

After spending about half and hour playing with them, even a noob smartphone user like me found some differences that made me decide to go with the Droid X vs the Fascinate:

1. Screen.
Yes the Fascinate does have a big and VERY bold screen. The colors and brightness just literally pop out in front of you in comparison to the droid. For me however, the size difference between 4" and 4.3" was pretty large as I could easily navigate and text much easier on the Droid X vs the Fasc, which is a big deal for me cause im texting alot more. The larger screen also helps viewing webpages. Droid X wins here for me.

I was also very surprised when web surfing on CNN via both of them, that the Fascinates screen shows the whites as a very "bluish" tinge all around vs the Droid X is a very pure and sharp and bright "white" I honestly couldn't believe the Fascinate had such great colors but the white just look so... blue! The grays and silvers also were a big difference as a result in comparison to the Droid X, its like im looking through a layer of water or something on the Fascinate and I dont' like it, at all. The extra .3'' on the Droid X screen really draws me into it and makes it easier to fiddle around and learn for me. Droid X wins again.

2. Search engine
. Bingo blows hard on Fascinate, Google rules on Droid X. Yeah, I heard you can somehow disable/remove Bing on the Fascinate but I don't really wanna deal with it and I may or may not get into the rooting of the phone. Layout of the google search vs the Bingo is also night and day IMO. Droid X wins again

3. Interface. I dunno the technical names between the different Android skins or whatever on these phones but I much preffered the simpler and "mature" look of the Droid X's menu system vs the Iphone, cartoonish GUI of the Fascinate. Droic X once again IMO.

4. Look and feel. Alot people are gushing and ooohing about the slick, smooth and rounded nature of the Fascinate vs the "harsher" and edgier look of the Droid X. Must be me and my masculinity and my hate for all Apple products, but the Fascinate felt like some kinda glossy vibrater in my hand, everything was slick and glossy! The looks Fascinate says "girly, soft and gentle for everyday use" and the Doid X says "I have a big e-penis and a good real penis to back it up with" The aluminum, soft textured feel of the Droid X gives it a more robust, "solid" build quality feeling to it. Fascinate just feels like every other damn plastic, china made electronic product out there. Droid X calls to me again.

I could go on, but those were the big things that really stood out to me comparing these phones. Again, this is coming from someone who has NEVER had a smartphone and up until two weeks ago, poo pooed the very idea of owning, using and paying for a smartphone. It wasn't until I really sat down *or stand up in the VZW store anyway* and played with them did I find really what these suckers are all about. I quickly learned that I hated the Windows based smartphones right off the bat, the Android Google OS is just better all around to a first time smartphone owner like me and this is coming from someone who is basically a Microsoft fan for both personal and proffessional needs.

Hope this helps others in their decision process. Bottom line, technology is just getting freaking incredible in the last 11 year since I graduated HS. I can't imagine what the next 10 years are gonna be bring! Its awesome time to be a young nerd in todays modern society!

Extremely well thought out and a perfect comparison.

and yes, it's great to be tech savvy in today's modern world!!

justinc101011

Reaction score

Funny, my DX beat the Fascinate in every speed test I tried. Also, the DX gets a better signal, battery life, resists finger prints, and has better call quality.

OK this is exactly why I didnt want to post in here. There is 2 camps the people who post in here with a dx and people with a fascinate. I was just telling him my experience with the 2 phones not trying to bash the dx. I also like it a lot but I feel the hardware in the fascinate is quite a bit better. Also I get far better battery life with my fascinate than my friends dx. No phone is fingerprint resistaint.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

OP
A

andymellon4

Reaction score
is there any idea what 2.2 will have for the fascinate and if it will even get it?

and also i could just wait and stay with the fascinate because i also have my annual upgrade available for myself.